• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the maximum # of runs that can be scored off a legal delivery ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
I say infinite.
Indeed.

I believe the actual highest that has been scored is 10 - and that was against Derbyshire. Even a century ago, they were a laughing-stock.

C'est la vie.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I've had seven off one ball come off me bowling.

Dropped catch, throw, throw, misfield, throw, misfield, and finally someone got it to the keeper.

****ing embarrassing.

Craig

World Traveller
I read about an 8 scored off one ball on the Coast a few years ago in a club match.

A batsman hits the ball to the boundary, but it stops just short, so the batsmen run four anyway, the fielder picks up the ball, throws it back to the 'keeper, and obviously it was a poor throw/poor 'keeping, because the ball missed him and went for four over throws plus the four that they had run.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Imagine this scenario - a batsman edges the ball just under the keeper's gloves, and it clips the helmet behind the keeper (resulting in five penalty runs), which is enough to send it away from the inrushing fielder and allowing the batsmen to run four. However, when the fielder throws it in, the ball hits the helmet once more, and goes for four overthrows.

4 x Runs + 4 x Overthrows + 2 x 5 x Penalty Runs = 18 runs off one ball!!! :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think the helmet makes it a dead ball doesn't it?

Anyway, the record in club cricket is over 250.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
I think the helmet makes it a dead ball doesn't it?

Anyway, the record in club cricket is over 250.
Ball stuck in a tree?

Edit: I think Guinness World Records said 19 - ball hit to deep midwicket, where it vanished in the grass...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Ball stuck in a tree?
It was a Norwegian League (West) Division 9A match between Bergen Fish and Trondheim Fish - and the ball was hit into the deep, just as the tide came in.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:
It was a Norwegian League (West) Division 9A match between Bergen Fish and Trondheim Fish - and the ball was hit into the deep, just as the tide came in.
:lol: No wonder. And the reason they stopped for 250 was because they saw a whale. :p

Chubb

International Regular
last weekend an Upottery I batsman scored seven off a delivery at Culmstock. The sequence of events was as follows

1. Willow Drew pushes into the offside for a single and calls one
2. Graham Pidgeon reacts late to the call and the Culmstock player shies at the stumps
3. The ball misses and no-one is backing up so they run one overthrow
4. The return throw off that also misses the target and isn't backed up so they run another
5. The throw goes to the bowler, who is apopletic with rage and throws the ball into the ground in disgust, only for it to bounce violently and run away to the boundary for four.

The Devon Cricket League confirms this is legal, as the umpire hadn't called "dead ball" when the bowler finally got hold of it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Samuel_Vimes said:
Ball stuck in a tree?

Edit: I think Guinness World Records said 19 - ball hit to deep midwicket, where it vanished in the grass...
It wedged in a tree which was unclimbable - eventually they had to get a gun and shoot it down!

I think that might have lead to a charge of altering with the condition of the ball nowadays though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There's like some famous myth/story about a country game of cricket between two rival farms or townships or something, in the 19th century, and one team was screwed, needed 50 runs for so for victory, and then some guy who was just there to make up numbers came in, hit a shot and his dog went and fetched the ball - just like he'd taught him at home when he was practicing - and the opposition went around chasing the dog while the two batsmen ran the 50 odd needed for the win.

C_C

International Captain
Here's the scenario..... real tall grass...ball gets semi-lost and batsmen run 8-9 runs...fielding team is worse than quadruplegic war vet's union........they keep overthrowing without the ball crossing the boundary. batsmen keep running.
Theoretically, infitinte runs
:D

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
vic_orthdox said:
There's like some famous myth/story about a country game of cricket between two rival farms or townships or something, in the 19th century, and one team was screwed, needed 50 runs for so for victory, and then some guy who was just there to make up numbers came in, hit a shot and his dog went and fetched the ball - just like he'd taught him at home when he was practicing - and the opposition went around chasing the dog while the two batsmen ran the 50 odd needed for the win.
There are some similar stories in Max Walker's books. One where he and his dad were batting needing 17 off the last ball (if I remember correctly). Being a very small town, the team had only one cricket bat, so Max Walker's dad picks up a fence paling to bat. The ball is bowled, and he plays the shot and no one can find the ball, so they run the 17 needed to win. After the game, they all find out that the when the ball was bowled, it got stuck on a nail on the fence paling that was used as a bat, thus no one could find it.