• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What changes will England make for the second Test?

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Surely they can't persist with this hopeless batting line-up? Hameed has to come in for one of the openers -- probably Sibley. If Pope is fit, does he take Lawrence's place? Will they play a spinner? Will Woakes be fit?

Sam Curran looked very exposed as part of a four-man attack. He was expensive and inconsistent and Root was obviously reluctant to use him. It would have been a car crash if the pitch had been flat and India had batted long.

It'd be harsh on Jack Leach, but I would bring back Moeen Ali.

Jay London

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
My guess - Hameed in, possibly at 3. Pope back if fit. Moeen seems to be under a lot of discussion so a reasonable chance he'll be back in the team.

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
I think they will replace Crawley with Hameed and Lawrence with Moeen.
Three Frontline pacers, one spinning allrounder and one fast bowling allrounder should be enough.

OTOH, if this is a slow seamer then I am sure we are not going to make any change.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Interesting. My feeling is that they will bring in Pope and move Jonny B to 3. I suppose either way, Crawley will be dropped which I actually think is good news for us. Them playing Moeen also indicates pitch might take turn if the weather can remain something halfway decent. In which case, India maybe looking at Ishant and Ashwin in for Shardul and Siraj.

Kilowatt

School Boy/Girl Captain
Burns
Sibley
Hameed
Root
Curran
Butler
Bairstow
Moeen
Robinson
Broad
Anderson

Neither England nor India would want Curran at 5.

JupiterRules

Cricket Spectator
I want England to get rid of players who cant play bumrah.
My england XI
1. Hameed
2. Malan
3. Pope
4. Root
5. bairstow wk/batsman
6. Moeen Ali
7. Sam curran
8. Ollie robinson
9. Overton
10. Anderson
11. Saqib Muhammed

Broad is not inf form. Butler is basically bumrah's bunny.
sibley burns lawrence and crawly got too many chances to prove themself against this indian bowlers. Failed again and again.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Broad is injured

Would open with Burns and Buttler. Hameed at 3. Root and Pope to follow. Bairstow at 6. Moeen 7. Curran, Robinson, Overton, Anderson.

Broad, Archer, Wood, Woakes, Stokes. Long injury list for England. Great depth in bowling.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad is injured

Would open with Burns and Buttler. Hameed at 3. Root and Pope to follow. Bairstow at 6. Moeen 7. Curran, Robinson, Overton, Anderson.

Broad, Archer, Wood, Woakes, Stokes. Long injury list for England. Great depth in bowling.
Didn't you also want Woakes opening? What's with the novel solutions to England's crap top order

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Didn't you also want Woakes opening? What's with the novel solutions to England's crap top order
Can't see Woakes being worse than Sibley. Can see Woakes being a modern Manoj Prabhakar, tbh. Will also ensure he gets sufficient time to rest before he has to bowl again.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I love Woakes but he's not an opening bat.

Guess England will now be

Burns
Sibley
Crawley/Pope/Hameed
Root
Bairstow
Buttler
Moeen
Curran
Robinson
Wood
Anderson

...pretty much by default at this point. Don't see why they'd recall Mo if they're not going to play him and with Wood and Curran likely both playing we need a 5th bowler.

Wouldn't hate Overton getting a game but I don't think it's likely.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I love Woakes but he's not an opening bat.

Guess England will now be

Burns
Sibley
Crawley/Pope/Hameed
Root
Bairstow
Buttler
Moeen
Curran
Robinson
Wood
Anderson

...pretty much by default at this point. Don't see why they'd recall Mo if they're not going to play him and with Wood and Curran likely both playing we need a 5th bowler.

Wouldn't hate Overton getting a game but I don't think it's likely.
Yup. I was reading a piece this morning which argued that not only Curran, but also Broad and Anderson (due to their age) should not be part of a four-man attack. And I think that's probably right. The noises from the England camp suggest that Hameed is due for a recall.