• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Sri Lanka, November/December 2021

Himannv

International Coach
I think Sri Lanka did very well in this series but I'm not convinced by anything I've seen that they'll be anything more than minnows overseas.

Bahseph

State Captain
Hope and Chase need to be cut imo. Braithwaite isn't the best Test opener but he is the best Windies have. Mayers and Bonner have done more right than wrong since they have been brought in,Blackwood has some credit(it's running out) and da Silva is the best keeper bat available. Chase has regressed horribly with the bat,his bowling is about the same level but he isn't a front line batter anymore.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Hope and Chase need to be cut imo. Braithwaite isn't the best Test opener but he is the best Windies have. Mayers and Bonner have done more right than wrong since they have been brought in,Blackwood has some credit(it's running out) and da Silva is the best keeper bat available. Chase has regressed horribly with the bat,his bowling is about the same level but he isn't a front line batter anymore.
Couldn't agree more! Chase keeping Cornwall out of the side is infuriating tbh. We really need a new round of selectors. This lot are replaced in January I believe, thank goodness.

Bahseph

State Captain
I tend to catch quite a few Windies Tests here in SA because they are generally on in the evenings. I can't put my finger on it with Hope but he perhaps needs some FC cricket. He doesn't seem at sea until he gets out. I do think that Cornwall has upside but I'm convinced that some of his poor shot selections are due to him not being fit enough to bat long periods.

Edit: Some confusing wording.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Couldn't agree more! Chase keeping Cornwall out of the side is infuriating tbh. We really need a new round of selectors. This lot are replaced in January I believe, thank goodness.
Cornwall is not that good with the ball. Permaul is much better and is and SLA. Braithwaite can join in part time with off breaks. Unless in india and Sri Lanka, WI will not have conditions to play two spinners.

Beamer

Cornwall is not that good with the ball. Permaul is much better and is and SLA. Braithwaite can join in part time with off breaks. Unless in india and Sri Lanka, WI will not have conditions to play two spinners.
Out of interest, who do you think is better Warrican or Permaul?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Out of interest, who do you think is better Warrican or Permaul?
Permaul is better. Much better control of flight, which usually troubles batsmen more. Warrican has to bowl more against better players of spin. He bowled lines and lengths that are good against poor players of spin.

Beamer

Permaul is better. Much better control of flight, which usually troubles batsmen more. Warrican has to bowl more against better players of spin. He bowled lines and lengths that are good against poor players of spin.
Thank you! My thoughts exactly and I honestly couldn't understand what technical basis they were using to keep promoting Warrican as the number one SLA option. Permaul used to bowl like Warrican, darting it in on the same length all the time. It's only in the last 3 or 4 years that he has learned to really vary his pace. It feels like Warrican needs to go through that still.

Our selectors are dreadful.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thank you! My thoughts exactly and I honestly couldn't understand what technical basis they were using to keep promoting Warrican as the number one SLA option. Permaul used to bowl like Warrican, darting it in on the same length all the time. It's only in the last 3 or 4 years that he has learned to really vary his pace. It feels like Warrican needs to go through that still.

Our selectors are dreadful.
You'd think the selectors would have kept a keen eye on the players from the Guyana Jaguars team, who have won and dominated FC cricket over the past 7 years...but no, even though Permaul was picking buckets of wickets and leading the bowling charts, they wouldn't even give him a call-up.
Gudakesh Motie has exactly 100 FC wickets, and he's not fast-tracked into "Best v Best" squads.

Beamer

I tend to catch quite a few Windies Tests here in SA because they are generally on in the evenings. I can't put my finger on it with Hope but he perhaps needs some FC cricket. He doesn't seem at sea until he gets out. I do think that Cornwall has upside but I'm convinced that some of his poor shot selections are due to him not being fit enough to bat long periods.

Edit: Some confusing wording.
I think Shai has a mental block that is stopping him succeeding in tests. He has not had the opportunity to play a whole FC season and remind himself how to build a red ball innings. I also think his success in ODI's, much of which is based around staying leg side of the ball to manovere the ball from third man to mid off, has created a technical floor meaning he can't trust his defence as much as he used to. I agree he just needs a year or so in FC cricket.

Roston Chase is the worst one though. He has averaged less than 18 with the bat over the last 3 years batting at 4 and 5. That is crippling for any test line up. An average of 26 with the bat and 43 with the ball is not international material and he needs a year in FC cricket to sort himself out as well. I have never seen a test batsman who had previously done ok, get out in the same way so often. He has been out lbw or bowled 13 times in his last 26 innings. He gets stuck on the crease. I'm so tired of him.

Beamer

You'd think the selectors would have kept a keen eye on the players from the Guyana Jaguars team, who have won and dominated FC cricket over the past 7 years...but no, even though Permaul was picking buckets of wickets and leading the bowling charts, they wouldn't even give him a call-up.
Gudakesh Motie has exactly 100 FC wickets, and he's not fast-tracked into "Best v Best" squads.
It's like they watched Permaul once in 2015 and decided that was that, no need to watch him anymore. It's ridiculous because I have seen him beating batsman with flight spin, arm balls etc on dodgy CWI youtube feeds, so how can a selector paid to visit the ground and watch not notice?

Motie is actually better than any of the other spinners in my opinion. Certainly better than Warrican. I just don't get it. Roger Harper and co need replacing. Sars for Chairman of selectors from January onwards!

WICFan

U19 Captain
Motie is actually better than any of the other spinners in my opinion. Certainly better than Warrican. I just don't get it. Roger Harper and co need replacing. Sars for Chairman of selectors from January onwards!
Simmons is also on the selection panel as head coach, so that could get a bit messy.

Beamer

Simmons is also on the selection panel as head coach, so that could get a bit messy.
I've been trying to understand if Simmons has much say in team selection or if he gets outvoted. Because some extremely strange decisions have been made by this selection panel and I like to think Simmo has more about him than that.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's like they watched Permaul once in 2015 and decided that was that, no need to watch him anymore. It's ridiculous because I have seen him beating batsman with flight spin, arm balls etc on dodgy CWI youtube feeds, so how can a selector paid to visit the ground and watch not notice?

Just a whole lot of politics involved. They've always tried to snub our guys. Motie has the potential to be a world-class spinner. His whole work ethic is prime.

The Windies selectors are a set of ignorant fools.

Really hope Sarwan steps in the fray soon.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Thye can hire Piyal Wijetunga for a season. Exceptional eye for recognizing talent. Ramesh mendis, Embuldeniya and Jayawickrama all were spotted and fast tracked by him.