• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies to tour England n 2009

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The West Indies have apparently agreed to play a Test and ODI series against England in place of the collapsed Zimbabwe tour, in place of Sri Lanka, who had been the initial replacements.

As far as the crcinfo article goes it frees up the Sri Lanka players to go and make their fortunes n the IPL and sorts out the issue of that nicely however, aren't some of the West Indies players also intendng to be making their forune in the same IPL. Does this put paid to all hopes that English players will be allowed to take part in the IPL or does this mean that both sides will field rather weakened sides? If that is the case why not offer the matches to the Netherlands for example. They will not require a 100% strong England side
to beat and they could use the extra preparation for the World T20 championships, as well as the money and leverage of the ODI series against a full member of the ICC for sponsorship purposes.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
England will not field a weakened team.

The players are under contract and the ECB has a contract with SKY for these Tests.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
England will not field a weakened team.

The players are under contract and the ECB has a contract with SKY for these Tests.
So No IPL for KP...:laugh:, still it was an opportunity to spread the love ODI wise lost.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't see Chris Gayle having a problem skipping the IPL, now that he's made his million in the Stanford game. Sarwan might be iffy. Did Bravo play in the Stanford game? I don't imagine anyone other than these three are contracted IPL players from the West Indies?

krkode

State Captain
Chanderpaul too. Ironically in the same team as other thumping batsmen such as Dravid and Kallis. :p

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Chanderpaul too. Ironically in the same team as other thumping batsmen such as Dravid and Kallis. :p
Ha! Did he get a game? A line up of Jaffer, Dravid, Kallis, Chanderpaul must have been a mouth watering sight :p

krkode

State Captain
Ha! Did he get a game? A line up of Jaffer, Dravid, Kallis, Chanderpaul must have been a mouth watering sight :p
Yeah! I'm not sure if he played, though, I imagine he did. Only reason I heard about it was the owner of the Bangalore team basically had a hissy fit mid-season because his team was doing so poorly and blamed it on Dravid for selecting such a team.

Sadly enough, the Deccan (Hyderabad) team with such hotshots as Gilchrist, Symonds, Gibbs, Styris and Afridi did even worse than Bangalore. :unsure:

Woodster

International Captain
Another pointless, meaningless two-Test series coming up. What is the point ? From an England perspective, a little bit of practice before the Ashes. A general waste of time for everyone though.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Another pointless, meaningless two-Test series coming up. What is the point ? From an England perspective, a little bit of practice before the Ashes. A general waste of time for everyone though.
Excellently put.

An Australian tour of England deserves a season to itself. And two-Test series are only appropriate against emerging nations. Against India or the West Indies? It's sacrilege.

Want to cut down the amount of superfluous international cricket played? Simple: stop playing this kind of crappy ersatz Test series.

krkode

State Captain
Sadly, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan all play way too many 2-test series. I think India has played one 5-test series since 2000 and I don't think SL has ever played a series with more than 3 tests...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sadly, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan all play way too many 2-test series. I think India has played one 5-test series since 2000 and I don't think SL has ever played a series with more than 3 tests...
I wasn't aware of that. I'm astonished. Are either India or SL particularly bothered about this, or are they more concerned that they keep up their quota of interminable bloody ODIs?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Excellently put.

An Australian tour of England deserves a season to itself. And two-Test series are only appropriate against emerging nations. Against India or the West Indies? It's sacrilege.

Want to cut down the amount of superfluous international cricket played? Simple: stop playing this kind of crappy ersatz Test series.
Sadly, while the seven-Tests-per-season TV contract remains, this will remain.

I hated to see the Pakistan series in 2001 which was just 2 Tests long as well. Sadly, though, it's currently unavoidable.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Excellently put.

Agree with the sentiment, but most notable is the fantastic use of casual German WW1 references.

HMas

U19 12th Man
I don't see Chris Gayle having a problem skipping the IPL, now that he's made his million in the Stanford game. Sarwan might be iffy. Did Bravo play in the Stanford game? I don't imagine anyone other than these three are contracted IPL players from the West Indies?
whyy not???when you become a millionaire, you want to be a billionaire.:)

Craig

World Traveller

I hated to see the Pakistan series in 2001 which was just 2 Tests long as well. Sadly, though, it's currently unavoidable.
Make the Ashes 7 Tests long then :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Make the Ashes 7 Tests long then :ph34r:
The point about TV contracts is correct, though I like the idea of 7 Test summers.

It does mean that the breakdown has to be 7-0, 6-1 or 5-2.

The old way would have been to have had a minor nation play 1 test at the beginning or the end of the summer. However, a 5-2 split is marginally better IMO.

Precambrian

Banned
The point about TV contracts is correct, though I like the idea of 7 Test summers.

It does mean that the breakdown has to be 7-0, 6-1 or 5-2.

The old way would have been to have had a minor nation play 1 test at the beginning or the end of the summer. However, a 5-2 split is marginally better IMO.
England play England? :ph34r:

West Indies players can still participate in the IPL for a week or two, as the test series start in May 6 only. The Australian players did like that last time around, and I think this time English players will also get a week or two in the IPL.