• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies in Oz cut to three tests to accomodate Twenty20

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Doesn't sound like it's cut to three Tests because of trying to fit in a Twenty20 competition - sounds like it is because there are simply too many Tests. None of it is definite anyway yet and it's very doubtful whether WI are worthy of 5 Tests frankly.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
I think you can stick the because in there.. It's tradition to give WI 5 tests and I think they'd get them without 2020

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Windies aren't worthy of the five tests any more. Quite a shame really as one of the great test series in history was 92/93 series.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1992-93/WI_IN_AUS/

It does seem they are actually trying to put one extra test in by play 2 3-test series (1 v WI, 1 v RSA) which will give them 5 tests as opposed to 6.

I'm not sure what to think about this 20/20 thing. I can see the financial benefits, but the effect it has on the actual cricket isn't good at all. Not a fan of 50-over cricket but 20/20 is just redicolous. I hope it doesn't take off at international level, but i fear it will. It should never be used in schools and junior level, as the last thing you want to do 13-14-15 year old's is to encourage this type of slogging, and discouraging youngsters from wanting to bowl.

Scaly piscine

Black Thunder said:
Windies aren't worthy of the five tests any more. Quite a shame really as one of the great test series in history was 92/93 series.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1992-93/WI_IN_AUS/

It does seem they are actually trying to put one extra test in by play 2 3-test series (1 v WI, 1 v RSA) which will give them 5 tests as opposed to 6.

I'm not sure what to think about this 20/20 thing. I can see the financial benefits, but the effect it has on the actual cricket isn't good at all. Not a fan of 50-over cricket but 20/20 is just redicolous. I hope it doesn't take off at international level, but i fear it will. It should never be used in schools and junior level, as the last thing you want to do 13-14-15 year old's is to encourage this type of slogging, and discouraging youngsters from wanting to bowl.
I suggest you actually watch or follow Twenty20 for a few games instead of just talking misinformed garbage about it.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Scaly piscine said:
I suggest you actually watch or follow Twenty20 for a few games instead of just talking misinformed garbage about it.
in what way is that misinformed??

The game is about trying to score as quickly as possible, and generally having little regard for holding your wicket.

Teaching this to young teenagers will do nothing to develop their game. For a young cricket why would they want to be a bowler in this form of the game?? Kids do things that they can succeed at and find enjoyable. They'll find going out trying to belt the ball much more fun than being belted all around the park.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scaly piscine said:
How about you take in other peoples opinions instead of blurting out your ridiculously narrow minded comment all the time

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Scaly piscine said:
We get it. You like Twenty20 cricket. You've made that damn palpable. Now quit whining.

bryce

International Regular
Black Thunder said:
in what way is that misinformed??

The game is about trying to score as quickly as possible, and generally having little regard for holding your wicket.

Teaching this to young teenagers will do nothing to develop their game. For a young cricket why would they want to be a bowler in this form of the game?? Kids do things that they can succeed at and find enjoyable. They'll find going out trying to belt the ball much more fun than being belted all around the park.
i agree with you mate - i was arguing this on another thread, this clown just can't accept that not everyone likes 20/20

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would love most test series to be of 5 tests but its not sustainable any more. With Australia up 3-0 in a 5 test series (a likely scenario), the last two tests would be farcical.

Tests have to be earned and if the Windies perform well in this series, they will get a bigger series the next time.

India-Australia series were never awesome and then the Eden Gardens test and that series happened. And we had the last series a 4 test one which should be the norm for India-Australia for the nxt two series atleast (I wish). England-South Africa is being able to sustain 5 test series. These are the most interesting cricket played but the competition should be there and quality of cricket good.

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
^^^^

I agree, I don't think I'd be able to stomach another 4-1 series debacle, and as mentioned earlier I don't think the reason the series was downsized was alltogeather to do with the adoption of the 20/20 format. Its easy to see how that conclusion could be drawn though, especially with CA promotion of the format resting on their ability to have the internationals playing in the new season.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a 5 test Aus v WI series will be an absolute disaster and bring in far fewer people than 20/20.

I personally am not a 20/20 fan and don't like it. But if that's whats going to bring in the hard dollars, there is surely a place for second string players and fringe players to entertain the masses who bring in the dollars !! :) :)

Going onto the question of Aussies and the quality of their opposition, Only India and possibly England are the only countries that can provide a 5 test series of interest and quality over each and every Test.

SriLanka could do it but that involves Murali playing a 5 test series in Australia and I can't see the Aussie media and fans changing their stripes, come Tsunami or what!! :)

So I guess Aussies having raised the bar in terms of the gap between them and others and being more unbeatable at home than ever (especially when no injuries to the old timers Warne and McGrath) will find it more and more difficult to play 5 test series apart from the said two countries.

Very few countries play 5 test rubbers now anyway . So I guess 3 test series will be the norm , even for Australia !!

Last edited:

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I just hate seeing tradition broken. Its always been 5 tests so we shouldnt change it just because they are not competative. When was the last time there was a competative ashes series? Are we going to cut that down as well?
Im also disappointed that the windies wont be playing in the VB series next year. Its also tradition that the team thats involved in the test series also plays in the one day series.

dinu23

International Debutant
I frankly don't want to witness a 5 test series between Aus and WI. It's a waste of time, because WI don't have a chance of winning a test match. I'd prefer a nice and fast Twenty20 match instead.

dinu23

International Debutant
I always thought that the ashes series was too long because of the way the english played the last few ashes. but this time around I think the english will be more competitive.

Scaly piscine

I guess I'll have to dissect this then since some of you can't see how some of this is misinformed garbage.

Black Thunder said:
but the effect it has on the actual cricket isn't good at all.
Based on what - given the format has been around about 2 years you won't have a clue what effect it'll have, especially since you and all the other main critics on here haven't actually SEEN it.

Black Thunder said:
It should never be used in schools and junior level, as the last thing you want to do 13-14-15 year old's is to encourage this type of slogging, and discouraging youngsters from wanting to bowl.
Again you don't know anything about the format (you can tell who hasn't when they go on about slogging - Pakistan tried slogging against Australia A and got trounced, it's about playing lots of genuine cricket shots and executing them well). So how would you know whether it'd be good for 13-15 year olds or not?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If you have 10 wickets in hand and twenty overs to go, you wont see much more than slogging. I have watched twenty20 played in England and it does nothing for the quality of cricket.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
sp,

got my first live viewing of the format on the weekend. Every batsmen who went out came out trying to smash **** out of the ball. For some it was succesful. For some it wasn't.

Haven't seen it in England, but play cricket with and/or know a number of people who live in England during our winter and all have said that although it's very popular, the cricket itself doesn't nothing to encourage proper play.

The affect this form of the game will have on bowlers:

The most effective form of bowling in this is the medium pacers who take the pace right off the ball. Quick bowlers such Shoaib Akhtar, Brett Lee and even guys not so quick (McGrath, Pollock) might bowls great line and lengths, but if a guy is swinging and hitting then the ball is just going to go the boundary quicker.

A bowler who takes the pace off the ball may get hit, but because there is no pace or bounce from the ball then it is less likely to get to the boundary. This is what i assumed when first reading about the concept, and have been told the most succesful bowlers in the 20/20 comp where these medium pacers - Ian Harvey, Chris Harris type bowlers.

Now is this really the type of bowler you want to encourage young cricketers to be like?? One Day cricket is bad enough in encouraging these sort of guys let alone this form of the game.........

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
I quite enjoyed the 20/20 match concept its new and exciting although i dont think you should be able to run on a free hit if you get bowled and Haddin's ugly tactic of running behind the stumps and trying to hit should be discouraged as well.