• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in New Zealand - Nov/Dec 2020

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
PROPOSED MATCH SCHEDULE

November 27: 1st T20I at Eden Park, Auckland
November 29: 2nd T20I at Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
November 30: 3rd T20I at Bay Oval, Mount Maunganui
December 3-7: 1st Test at Seddon Park, Hamilton
December 11-15: 2nd Test at Basin Reserve, Wellington

Beamer

Windies squads have been announced:

Tests

Jason Holder (captain), Jermaine Blackwood, Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shamarh Brooks, John Campbell, Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Shane Dowrich, Shannon Gabriel, Shimron Hetmyer, Chemar Holder, Alzarri Joseph, Keemo Paul, Kemar Roach

Test Reserves: Nkrumah Bonner, Joshua DaSilva, Preston McSween, Shayne Moseley, Raymon Reifer, Jayden Seales

T20's

Kieron Pollard (captain), Fabian Allen, Dwayne Bravo, Sheldon Cottrell, Andre Fletcher, Shimron Hetmyer, Brandon King, Kyle Mayers, Rovman Powell, Keemo Paul, Nicholas Pooran, Oshane Thomas, Hayden Walsh Jr, Kesrick Williams

Notes: Evin Lewis, Lendl Simmons and Andre Russell declined selection to the T20 squad

Beamer

Thoughts...

The T20 squad has no real talking points when you consider the three that declined selection. Glad to see Kyle Mayers get a chance but am completely dumbfounded as to why he is not a Test reserve as well.

The Test squad isn't awful in the circumstances either. The return of Bravo and Hetmeyer gives us more options and hopefully now Bravo has FC runs under his belt, a more productive top/middle order. John Campbell is pretty lucky to be there, but I don't mind them giving him one more chance considering a) how long they have given Shai Hope and b) the lack of other options. On that subject, I'm glad Shai has been dropped, he can now go and score some 4-day/A team runs and get back into the flow of 4 day batting.

The bowling is excellent and packed full of seam bowling options (pace, swing, seam, bounce are all covered). Rakheem is quality IMHO but I don;t think he will have too much of an impact on modern NZ pitches.

As ever with us, the key will be finding a way of getting runs on the board to bring our bowling quality into the match. Unfortunately I can't see it happening.

I hope the A team tour goes ahead at the same time. It would be awesome if Shai Hope and Nicholas Pooran could get some A team 4-day cricket under their belts.

Beamer

Chief selector Roger Harper said Pooran is in the A squad to play a couple of FC matches on tour.

Basically the reserves, plus a few people from the T20 team will make up an A team who will play 2 FC matches. They said they will announce details soon.

JOJOXI

Chief selector Roger Harper said Pooran is in the A squad to play a couple of FC matches on tour.

Basically the reserves, plus a few people from the T20 team will make up an A team who will play 2 FC matches. They said they will announce details soon.
Having heard that I have no complaints, as you've said getting runs on the board will be the struggle but given the players available looks pretty much as strong as they could've gone in the 15 man Test squad, likewise surprised Mayers isn't in the reserves especially given he'll already be there for the T20s but can understand why he didn't make the 15 as the top order batting is the real issue rather than middle order anyway.

Beamer

Having heard that I have no complaints, as you've said getting runs on the board will be the struggle but given the players available looks pretty much as strong as they could've gone in the 15 man Test squad, likewise surprised Mayers isn't in the reserves especially given he'll already be there for the T20s but can understand why he didn't make the 15 as the top order batting is the real issue rather than middle order anyway.
I can imagine the A team will be something like:

Joshua Da Silva (wk)
Shayne Mosely
Brandon King
Nicholas Pooran
Nkrumah Bonner
Kyle Mayers
Raymon Reifer
Hayden Walsh Jr
Preston McSween
Jayden Seales
Oshane Thomas

Reserves

Rovman Powell
Fabian Allen

Not bad really. Uncharacteristically sensible if you ask me.

JOJOXI

In fairness to the selectors think given Hetmyer will probably be sitting out anyway - saw the press release and it very much phrased it as Hetmyer giving them depth of options in middle order whereas Bravo added stability to top order, perhaps reading too much into things but I read that as if they were to play tomorrow, Bravo plays, Hetmyer doesn't. It would also mean Brooks and Blackwood keeping their place after being two of the better batsman in England.

On that basis I guess they are thinking injuries are more likely to happen with the seam attack so they've brought 2 seam bowling reserves, Reifer effectively the replacement for Holder/Paul, Bonner a replacement for top order, Mosely a replacement for opener and da Silva a replacement for Dowrich.

Beamer

In fairness to the selectors think given Hetmyer will probably be sitting out anyway - saw the press release and it very much phrased it as Hetmyer giving them depth of options in middle order whereas Bravo added stability to top order, perhaps reading too much into things but I read that as if they were to play tomorrow, Bravo plays, Hetmyer doesn't. It would also mean Brooks and Blackwood keeping their place after being two of the better batsman in England.

On that basis I guess they are thinking injuries are more likely to happen with the seam attack so they've brought 2 seam bowling reserves, Reifer effectively the replacement for Holder/Paul, Bonner a replacement for top order, Mosely a replacement for opener and da Silva a replacement for Dowrich.
Yep that's exactly the vibe I got also. I don't really have any complaints based on that.

JOJOXI

I can imagine the A team will be something like:

Joshua Da Silva (wk)
Shayne Mosely
Brandon King
Nicholas Pooran
Nkrumah Bonner
Kyle Mayers
Raymon Reifer
Hayden Walsh Jr
Preston McSween
Jayden Seales
Oshane Thomas

Reserves

Rovman Powell
Fabian Allen

Not bad really. Uncharacteristically sensible if you ask me.
I have no problems personally and wouldn't mind that as a side, part of me would like Hope there too but wonder if psychologically time to refresh might be good for him and then go again in the 4 day competition. My only slight question mark on that side would be Hayden Walsh Jr, I'd guess they would probably more likely fit Rovman Powell in at 6 or 7, potentially rotate the seamers a bit playing just 2 per game+Reifer+Mayers as 4th seam option and play someone like Jomel Warrican who is probably closer to the Test side presently

Beamer

I have no problems personally and wouldn't mind that as a side, part of me would like Hope there too but wonder if psychologically time to refresh might be good for him and then go again in the 4 day competition. My only slight question mark on that side would be Hayden Walsh Jr, I'd guess they would probably more likely fit Rovman Powell in at 6 or 7, potentially rotate the seamers a bit playing just 2 per game+Reifer+Mayers as 4th seam option and play someone like Jomel Warrican who is probably closer to the Test side presently
I agree, it will be that or similar. Harper said they weren't going to fly anyone in especially, so I don't think Warrican will play.

JOJOXI

I agree, it will be that or similar. Harper said they weren't going to fly anyone in especially, so I don't think Warrican will play.
Interesting, guess it means Pooran will probably play at least, just hope NZ 'A' bowling attack is a strong one so players can learn and would really show some of his ability if Pooran could flourish against a strong 'A' team

Beamer

Just looking at the last few scorecards at Seddon Park and Basin Reserve, I can't see Rakheem being used much. They verge from roads to seam friendly basically. Can any of our Kiwi friends confirm?

If that's the case, my test XI based on the side picked would be:

Braithwaite
Campbell
Brooks
Bravo
Chase
Blackwood
Dowrich (wk)
Holder (c)
Paul
Roach
Gabriel