• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Weird cricketing happenings you've seen - at any level

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So I've been playing and watching cricket now for 34-35 years, and you think you've seen it all.

Three weeks ago we're playing in our local competition, fielding first. The other side are 1-80 odd, and collapse to be all out for 129. Ok, nothing particularly unusual in that, it happens.

We then go out to bat and reach 1-54. Then we're 8-68 and eventually all out for just under 100.

So, a few firsts here for me in my time playing cricket. Firstly, in 20 years of playing A grade in our local comp, it's the first time I've seen 20 wickets fall in a day, though I've seen that happen before when I've played in lower grades (without sounding like a toss pot). All the more remarkable given we weren't playing on a turf pitch at the time, so there was no ridiculous variation in the surface.

But the biggie for me was this. Our team lost 5 wickets in one over. In 35 years of playing and wtaching cricket, I've never ever seen that happen before. The fellow bowling was getting massive inswing due to the strong wind, but he was just medium pace and had the keeper up to the stumps. The over went as follows:
W(lbw) W(stumped) . 1(run out attempting a second) W(bowled) W(lbw)

To top it all off, the bowler then went off injured because - get this - he went to high 5 a team mate, missed, tried to high 5 again and dislocated his shoulder.

So, what weird and wonderful things have you either seen or participated in during your playing and watching of cricket?

It's a funny game.

Ghostee

Cricket Spectator
aussies

The aussies underarm the last ball of the last over when NZ needed 6 runs to tie it. w.t.f? :@

Uppercut

Matthew Hayden trying to hit Zaheer Khan for six first ball of the innings after Australia were set 550 to win in four sessions.

bagapath

International Captain
in an india pak test in india in 1987 there was an lbw appeal by iqbal qasim against shivlal yadav. the umpire, gupta, lifted his finger and yadav started protesting showing his bat. gupta calmly used the pointed finger to scratch his head and stood still as though nothing happened. yadav got ready to face the next ball. qasim appealed again. gupta stood like a statue. he simply refused to acknowledge his own presence in the ground and stared straight ahead at god knows what. imran came close to him, shook his head with a smirk and walked away.

_Ed_

To top it all off, the bowler then went off injured because - get this - he went to high 5 a team mate, missed, tried to high 5 again and dislocated his shoulder.
:laugh:
Funniest thing I've heard all day.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw effectively two wickets in one ball in the first over of a club game once.

In the first over of their innings, the batsman hit the ball hard and straight, it hit the non-striker in the chest who fell as if he'd been shot, and a very alert fielder took the ball as it ballooned up. The batsman was out caught and the non-striker retired hurt (he was okay later).

Amazingly enough, the batting side then compiled a massive total when a pinch-hitter up the order went bezerk and kept hitting the ball out of the ground.

Uppercut

I saw effectively two wickets in one ball in the first over of a club game once.

In the first over of their innings, the batsman hit the ball hard and straight, it hit the non-striker in the chest who fell as if he'd been shot, and a very alert fielder took the ball as it ballooned up. The batsman was out caught and the non-striker retired hurt (he was okay later).

Amazingly enough, the batting side then compiled a massive total when a pinch-hitter up the order went bezerk and kept hitting the ball out of the ground.
Haha, awesome. Interestingly, if the non-striker had been hurt badly enough, it would have been technically not-out. The ball becomes dead after a serious injury occurs to a player :p

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, awesome. Interestingly, if the non-striker had been hurt badly enough, it would have been technically not-out. The ball becomes dead after a serious injury occurs to a player :p
Interesting... maybe he shouldn't have been out then!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Have bowled a five wicket maiden before. Double hat-trick, and then a run-out; finished with a dot. Was a Twenty 20 too.

Also, similar to Burgey's, was our star quick in our U/16 state carnival took a wicket to have them 4/30, and the ground was still a bit dewy. He slipped on his backside and popped his shoulder out, and then they got up to 195. He came out and batted when we were 7/63 and saw us home, getting 50 odd whilst Marc Murphy (AFL player) got 80 not out.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have bowled a five wicket maiden before. Double hat-trick, and then a run-out; finished with a dot. Was a Twenty 20 too.

Also, similar to Burgey's, was our star quick in our U/16 state carnival took a wicket to have them 4/30, and the ground was still a bit dewy. He slipped on his backside and popped his shoulder out, and then they got up to 195. He came out and batted when we were 7/63 and saw us home, getting 50 odd whilst Marc Murphy (AFL player) got 80 not out.
Benchy's cuz? Ha, cool.