• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WC Qualifier tonight

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Nah they are still called by the general public as the socceroos, but offical they are the Australian National Team and don't have the nickname anymore. But who cares were through, maybe oneday Sri Lanka can get through. :D
Code:
Asia First Group Stage - Group Eight
 1.Saudi Arabia 6  6  0  0 14- 1 18
 2.Turkmenistan 6  2  1  3  8-10  7
 3.Indonesia    6  2  1  3  8-12  7
 4.Sri Lanka    6  0  2  4  4-11  2
Still a fair bit to go, I think. :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
I think they've been rebranded the Footballroos in the last few weeks. Which just sounds stupid.
That's going to cause a bit of confusion. I thought that football was that game played with four big sticks at each end of the pitch and those blokes wearing white coats who practice their quick draw technique whenever the ball goes between the middle sticks.

Or is that Two-Up?

Right about the white coats though.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
A penalty is one of those things you had at the end of the game, or a direct free kick from 12 yards given for a foul inside the penalty area.

There were possibly 44 free kicks in the game, but only 9 penalties.

Oh, just forget it.
OK then, I'll be sure to get the semantics right next time. 8-)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I can see it now, at the World Cup draw:

"And in Group A.....Germany; Argentina; Australia..............England." :-O

If I could guarantee we'd win all three games, that's the ultimate group. Unfortunately I don't trust us to do that! I'd much rather have Angola, Togo and Bahrain.

supereddi08

School Boy/Girl Captain
bugger the semantics, Australia are through to the World Cup... got a good typical Aussie reaction from my flatmate though... he came in just as the last pen was put in, I said (excitedly) Australia just got into the world cup, he had a look at the telly and then wandered off going bloody stupid sport... hmm, maybe the game won't take off here...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Adamc said:
OK then, I'll be sure to get the semantics right next time. 8-)
Careful.....

That almost sounds as though you don't think I ought to make a joke at your expense.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:

If I could guarantee we'd win all three games, that's the ultimate group. Unfortunately I don't trust us to do that! I'd much rather have Angola, Togo and Bahrain.
You can't.

Top eight teams (i.e. Germany, Brazil, Netherlands, Czech Republic (assuming...no, never mind), France, Mexico, USA and Argentina) are seeded, the others are given pots by geography. So you can get one of Germany and Argentina, or one of Angola and Togo.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Code:
Asia First Group Stage - Group Eight
 1.Saudi Arabia 6  6  0  0 14- 1 18
 2.Turkmenistan 6  2  1  3  8-10  7
 3.Indonesia    6  2  1  3  8-12  7
 4.Sri Lanka    6  0  2  4  4-11  2
Still a fair bit to go, I think. :p
Two points is as good as quailfying for us, last world cup quailfiers we only got one point. :ph34r: We are slowly getting better :D

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Bring 'em on :D We only need Sven to recognise the best keeper in England is a woman, and once she's in the team we're sorted.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:

The way England go they're more like to stuff up against Angola, Togo and Bahrain - until England reach the knock-out stages that is, assuming they get that far.

I think someone (else) should cobble up a 'quick guide to football for convicts' so the Aussies will know what's happening when it says 'Eng 4 Aus 0' in the corner of the TV.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Careful.....

That almost sounds as though you don't think I ought to make a joke at your expense.
Joke all you like, but if it's soccer-related it's more than likely that I won't get it, so there's not much point.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Barney Rubble said:

Doubt it.

England will probably be 8th seed, therefore they'll be kept clear of both Germany and Argentina.

I'll go for Poland, Australia and Iran (although I'm actually hoping that the USA will get Iran again).

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
You can't.

Top eight teams (i.e. Germany, Brazil, Netherlands, Czech Republic (assuming...no, never mind), France, Mexico, USA and Argentina) are seeded, the others are given pots by geography. So you can get one of Germany and Argentina, or one of Angola and Togo.
You sure you aren't German?