• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Washington Sundae as a frontline bat

ma1978

International 12th Man
In a very short career Sundar looked as composed a test bat as I've seen for a 21 year old on debut.

Shouldn't India be grooming him to replace an aging Sharma, Kohli, Pujara, Rahane in a couple years? Ignore the mediocre spin

What am I missing?

Shri

Mr. Glass
you are missing nothing

washi has solid defence without going into a shell unlike pujara

wouldn't mind having him at 3 in tests at all

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like Steve Smith

"Washy bowled in some of the IPL franchises, and he shot to fame because of his bowling in the powerplay and all that, [but] it's quite surprising that people don't recognise that he grew up all his life as a batsman who can bowl," Ashwin said during his post-match press conference on Saturday. "I'm not surprised at all at his batting ability. He works really hard on his batting, in fact to a point where we sometimes have discussions around how he should bowl more as well. He loves his batting, he's innately a batsman, so I'm not surprised at all. He's quite a special batsman."
"I'm not in any position to tell Washy to go open, or bat at three," Ashwin said. "But ideally, if there's an upcoming talent like him, it makes logical sense when he goes back to his state team, for him to bat at No. 3 or No. 4. In fact, Washy is an opening bat. I think he should go back to first-class cricket and probably start opening or batting at three. As I already said earlier, Washy is a semma (tremendous) batsman, there's no doubt about it."

Spark

Global Moderator
as for the thread topic itself; i've seen "he has a good technique! he should bat top six!" being thrown at a lot of impressive lower order bats in my time. none of them have worked out. the requirements for a top order batsmen are an order of magnitude more complex than merely having a good technique, which is usually more than good enough in the lower order. until he has more fc hundreds than tim paine, than it shouldn't be an option (and i'm a fan of his batting as stated in the match thread)

Shri

Mr. Glass
i like him because of how he defends against spin

goes so far forward and plays with his bat in front of the pad, which means if he plays it softly, the ball would usually not carry to slip

and he is also quick to get on the backfoot

probably bats without pads in the nets haha

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
as for the thread topic itself; i've seen "he has a good technique! he should bat top six!" being thrown at a lot of impressive lower order bats in my time. none of them have worked out. the requirements for a top order batsmen are an order of magnitude more complex than merely having a good technique, which is usually more than good enough in the lower order. until he has more fc hundreds than tim paine, than it shouldn't be an option (and i'm a fan of his batting as stated in the match thread)
You’re not wrong but Indian openers in England are already walking wickets. Would not be a horrible idea to give him a couple games up there. Otherwise he isn’t getting a game.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
I think the australia tour and this series have shown the importance of having a left hander or two in your line up to give the opposition something to think about, we should groom Padikkal too. Sundar looks good lower down the order but there's no telling what the pressure of needing to score runs at say no. 4 or 5 will do to his batting. The Ashwin comparisons will inevitably happen but even at that age he had something with the ball to warrant a chance in red ball cricket which i don't really know if Sundar has. He's pretty much been pigeonholed as a containing spinner.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
You’re not wrong but Indian openers in England are already walking wickets. Would not be a horrible idea to give him a couple games up there. Otherwise he isn’t getting a game.
This would be the fastest way of ruining a young talent. Remember Irfan Pathan? Let him bide his time where he is for now. Play him when others are unavailable or when conditions allow. He'll still only be 25 or so when he becomes a full-time member in the side. That's a long and fruitful career ahead of him yet. Consider this his apprenticeship till then.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This would be the fastest way of ruining a young talent. Remember Irfan Pathan? Let him bide his time where he is for now. Play him when others are unavailable or when conditions allow. He'll still only be 25 or so when he becomes a full-time member in the side. That's a long and fruitful career ahead of him yet. Consider this his apprenticeship till then.
And I honestly think he will be a starter for our LO teams, even at full strength. So its not like he will be starved of international cricket. He will be in the picture.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Hes only 21. Three half centuries in international matches, two where he would have likely made a century had he had partners, all in pressure situations and all playing real cricket shots.

The India operation needs to give him the FC and India A experience

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Hes only 21. Three half centuries in international matches, two where he would have likely made a century had he had partners, all in pressure situations and all playing real cricket shots.

The India operation needs to give him the FC and India A experience
And all 3 half centuries came when team was in a difficult spot.

ma1978

International 12th Man
This is as impressive a batting debut for anyone in India since Sehwag and arguably Dravid and Ganguly

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I heard he used to open in the TNPL, that’s enough for me to trust his prowess with the bat.
Something of a Tillekaratne Dilshan.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It would only ruin him if he is discarded if he fails. Otherwise it’s just good experience which he can keep building on.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It was said a fair bit of Stuart Broad, back in the day.

I don't think necessarily should be measured by FC hundreds but just continued consistency in Test cricket in tough conditions. Jadeja style Ranji Trophy triple-centuries are, of course relevant, but I think less relevant than being able to score off Starc, Cummins, Lyon and Hazlewood, under pressure.