• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was it a clean catch?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Or is Smith a cheat?

Or Ganguly a poor sport?
Its difficult to say whether the catch was clean from the angles shown so once the third umpire was brought into the picture, he had no choice but to go by the video evidence which as we saw was inconclusive for sure.

The point, however, is whether the on field umpire should have referred it to the third umpire only because Ganguly insisted on it. From all indications, one of the umpires, who had the better view confirmed that the catch was clean and hence the decision was out as far as the on-field umpires were concerned.

The reason for going to the 3rd umpire can only be if the umpires on the ground are not sure, not because the batsman (or the fielder for that matter) insists on it.

To that extent Ganguly was wrong in forcing the issue, the umpire wrong in acceding to it and Warne correct in being upset about it.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
i feel that in situations like that, unless their is clear, undisputable evidence that the ball hits the ground first, that the 3rd umpire should give the fielder the benefit of the doubt, not the batsman.

in real time, and from most camera angles, the smith catch looked a good one. since the umpires wrongly referred it, the fielder should have been given the benefit of the doubt in that situation.

luckily, the match was not significantly altered by that incident (only thing was ganguly got a 50), so that was good.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Only the linesman at St James Park saved that from being the most incompetent piece of officiating last night.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
It looked out to me. Even the scorecard (reading 4/106 after the catch for taken) indicated as such.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Asid Rauf had no choice but to give it not out since it wasn't conclusive, but it shouldn't have been referred in the first place. The on field umpire was clearly wrong, and he has been suspended for a game.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It is wrong to suspend the umpire when the real culprit Sourav Ganguly is allowed to play. He signed the fair play thing in Banglore, didn't he ? What are the repurcussions if you do not follow that agreement ?

(Indian) Umpires have been been put in a real tough situation here, either face suspension or face the wrath of our cricketing gods.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see the match at issue only got a 0 or 1 out of 5 for 'respecting the opponent" in the spirit of cricket award thingy. :)

IMO it was a catch, and frankly I even have trouble understanding why it was not given (though the quality of replay wasn't that great), though that sort of thing happens.

But to answer the questions at the start of the thread - imo it was out, and imo Ganghastly is deinitely a poor sport.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Smith is no Michael Clarke. And anyways, I have no doubts that it was clean catch even after watching the replays. Absolutely no doubt at all... Extremely incompetent officiating from both the Indian umpire and Rauf, for mine. And Ganguly is juz trying to relive his "whatever I say goes" days......

LA ICE-E

State Captain
It is wrong to suspend the umpire when the real culprit Sourav Ganguly is allowed to play. He signed the fair play thing in Banglore, didn't he ? What are the repurcussions if you do not follow that agreement ?

(Indian) Umpires have been been put in a real tough situation here, either face suspension or face the wrath of our cricketing gods.
So? an umpires job is to be neutral and if you can't even do that then don't officiate...

but i thought the ICC was going to try the player referrals?