• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

warwickshire player allegedly takes mind/body altering substances(bad lad)..

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard said:
Good old friendly local moderators... we're not exactly local to Swervy, though, are we?
That is, presuming you're back in town.
Wish I'd seen this thread's title and opening-page before it got modified and moderated... seemed to have caused quite some fuss.
Great, more performance-enhancing drugs in the game - that's all we need. 8-)
Least if it is only Graham Wagg it's not exactly a huge loss to the game.
It was something like ''Warwickshire scum in drug cheating scandal!!!! hehehehe''

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
It was something like ''Warwickshire scum in drug cheating scandal!!!! hehehehe''
not quite...I think the word scum was near the end. :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
At least he's accepted what he did and didn't try to go shopping with Eyal Berkovic with his phone switched off to avoid the test.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
At least he's accepted what he did and didn't try to go shopping with Eyal Berkovic with his phone switched off to avoid the test.
Thats why he'll get an 18 month ban instead of an 8 month :) I know whos the more clever of the 2!

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
although from what I read I don't know why it's worthy of a ban.
Why's that?

It's a prohibited substance end of story and as been clearly set out by not only the ECB but governing bodies all over the world players can expect a lengthy ban from the game if they insist in dabbling with drugs.

Ed Giddins was suspended for 18 months in 1996 after traces of cocaine showed up in a random drugs test, it's no different to Wagg IMO.

Shane Warne took a prohibited substance "by accident" and got the book thrown at him, Wagg was worse as he clearly knew what he was doing was wrong not only in a sporting terms but in common law.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And hence I hope Wagg gets the punishment people who take such substances get.
Not just within cricket.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
The world doping body..cant remember its proper name have automatic 2 year ban no matter what substance. But Cricket / Football et al dont seem to follow that (god knows why) so as mention b4 he'll get an 18 month ban similar to Giddins. Also expect him to be sacked...although this is Warks we're talking about who signed Giddins so he'll prolly get a pay rise instead :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
SpaceMonkey said:
although this is Warks we're talking about who signed Giddins so he'll prolly get a pay rise instead :)
England even picked him after it, so why blame Warwickshire for signing him?

If he's done the punishment, I don't see why that isn't the end of it.

Personally I expect that he'll be banned for 2005 and offered a final chance 1 year by Warwickshire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think Space was being serious. :)
As suggested by the :)
Just a typical Worcs-fan's jibe.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Personally I expect that he'll be banned for 2005 and offered a final chance 1 year by Warwickshire.
I'd have thought they'd do best to take the excuse to ensure he never plays for them again!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why?

Oh I remember, he's another player you've written off already.

Funnily the England selectors took a different view of him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he shows any remote signs of improvement I'll reasses, like I will with every player.
However, he's had 3 seasons of woeful performances - sorry, so far as far as I'm concerned the selectors have made another large error by believing he's going to be a county-standard player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So how come they selected him for the Academy last winter then?

This will be them that have had extensive viewing of him, rather than you who will rarley have actually been able to see him.

Whose opinion is going to have more validity?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In other words it's them thinking they know better than the game.
So why hasn't The Academy improved his performances, then?
Thinking somoene has potential is fine, but personally it just strikes me that they've picked some young players because they're there and places are available, rather than because they think they could be county-standard.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
There are a number of players who have gone on the academy and have absolutly no chance of ever playing for England...just going doesnt mean you're good. Just means we're desperate :)

I was only messing about Warks...as a Worcs fan i have to take every oppotunity :)

But he should be sacked..no matter what his ban is... signing a cricketer who's served his ban is completely different to keeping one who is serving his ban. IMO anyway :P