• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne on old rift with Steve Waugh: 'Felt totally let down when he dropped me'

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
the fun thing about whenever warne talks about this is that he never actually does a good job in disputing steve waugh's decision. it's always Shane Warne should never have been dropped because he's Shane Warne, not that Shane Warne didn't deserve to be dropped
Haha yeah whenever I hear Warne's side of the story it actually makes me take his side even less. Waugh's job was to pick the best team and win the test, not back his mates or show loyalty or repay favours. Warne never tries to make the argument that it was the wrong call on performance or fitness; just that it was some sort of betrayal for Waugh to pick the team he thought was best on the day. Insane.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You'd never drop Sachin or Lara or McGrath after three bad tests though. I feel like Warne felt like he had credit in the bank considering his status

Starfighter

You'd never drop Sachin or Lara or McGrath after three bad tests though. I feel like Warne felt like he had credit in the bank considering his status
Bowlers simply don't get the same rope that batsmen do, though I do think this is a more pronounced - and bad - trend recently.

mr_mister

I still think most of the 90s ATG bowlers would be afforded a longer spell of bad form then three tests before being culled

Maybe it applies more to spinners as there's often only space for one in the team

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a series that was, though. Lara :wub:

Also, I feel like it was the last time cricket attracted good crowds in the Caribbean.

mr_mister

Maybe this is just a very weird example. A perfect storm of circumstances. Not often do you have someone as good as MacGill waiting in the wings to take your spot.

TheJediBrah

I think you would drop them if it was a similar circumstance. If McGrath was clearly carrying an injury and bowling loose 110kph garbage then you'd definitely drop him if you had better options in the squad. Likewise if Sachin's tennis elbow was bad enough that he was struggling to hold a bat let alone score runs.

Top_Cat

tbh proof that batsmen get the golden ticket is that any chat of dropping MWaugh was slapped down pretty quickly.

Maybe this is just a very weird example. A perfect storm of circumstances. Not often do you have someone as good as MacGill waiting in the wings to take your spot.
Except he was dropped for Miller.

Spikey

on the flip side it's usually a far tougher road back for a batsman. compare warne being dropped with slater being dropped in 01.

the big bambino

International Captain
When your best argument is that you have credit in the bank for past performances you’re conceding the point about your current form.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Gillespie was injured for that match, right? Given he'd been pretty good in that series alongside an awesome McGrath, I can imagine that Waugh etc. didn't feel hugely comfortable relying on Dale in a two-seamer attack.

Warne unfit and not taking wickets, MacGill doing reasonably ok, Miller being a competent offie and providing that back-up seam option...I can see why they'd take the gamble for a Test.

Top_Cat

on the flip side it's usually a far tougher road back for a batsman. compare warne being dropped with slater being dropped in 01.
Sure but depends on the reasons too eh. Batters can come back just as quickly after being given a spell if they don't spit the dummy.

Gillespie was injured for that match, right? Given he'd been pretty good in that series alongside an awesome McGrath, I can imagine that Waugh etc. didn't feel hugely comfortable relying on Dale in a two-seamer attack.

Warne unfit and not taking wickets, MacGill doing reasonably ok, Miller being a competent offie and providing that back-up seam option...I can see why they'd take the gamble for a Test.
Especially since Miller was quite a bit better than competent as an offie. His meds at Test level were a waste of time, every time.

mr_mister

Yeah wasn't Miller pretty mediocre his whole Sheffield career bowling pace until he randomly tried off spin in the late 90s and became a force and was jetted into the test team

stephen

Gillespie had a long run of mediocre form in 2004 until he got to the 2005 Ashes, where even by those standards he fell off a cliff.

In fact, excluding minnows before the Ashes 2005, Gillespie averaged over 30 in 10 series since 2000, while averaging under 30 in 5 series. Of the six series he played in before Australia in India 2001, Gillespie averaged under 22 in 5 of them. In this half of his career (48 out of 71 matches total), Gillespie averaged over 30 with the ball. His best series was India 2004, where he helped Australia conquer "the final frontier". After that series he had a good home series against New Zealand, failed against Pakistan, failed harder in New Zealand and then was dropped in the Ashes.

So sometimes bowlers do get a good run.

But Warne should have been dropped. In fact he probably shouldn't have been picked for that series. Warne is the kind of guy who needs to be held back for his own good at times. He has no self control and makes a lot of terrible decisions. If he was a tradie instead of a millionaire cricketer he'd probably be three times divorced and living in a trailer with a pregnant girlfriend.

It doesn't surprise me that he didn't like Waugh dropping him. Everything about him screams insecurities. When someone is insecure and then is made to live out those insecurities by an authority figure they'll usually resent the authority figure instead of taking ownership of the problem.