• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar Younis up on 400 !...Tribute thread

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Throughout his career he has done very little talking on the field, Its the ball which has been doing that whenever this stalwart has let em rip.

Early in the 90's he reinvented and redefined the swinging yorker and gave new meaning to aggressive, intimidating and domination bowling. Liberal use of the yorker and an immaculate line and length always keeping the batsman on ther toes. Only the second along with Wasim Akram to near 400 wickets, stands as evidence of the formiddable talent and prodigous domination he has enjoyed, and clearly will go down as one of the very best to take field as well as one of the very best on the field.

But to many these numbers mean little when they consider what Waqar has given and done for the game over a whole decade. He has inspired many young Pakistani's to go out there and give it there all. He has been the icon of success, giving an impression of the 'never say die' species, which is what makes a sportsman great. And this is what I have come to admire over the years, relentless will to do well and this is what I hope will carry on to the younger charges......Weldone and Thankyou for such a delightful career :)

[Edited on 25/11/2002 by Gotchya]

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Surely another bowler who deserves a tribute and if he hadnt gone through that many injuries and/or political trajedies he would have been very close to Wasim Akram, i have seen him swing the bowl with so much control and bowling inswinging yorkers with great precision.
One of the greates fast bolwers ever for sure in my point of view. :)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I've allways been a bit cool on Waqar because of his problems with Wasim and vise versa...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Exceptional fast bowler especially from a fast bowler's grave yard like the subcontinent. One of the three greatest ever fast bowlers from Pakistan along with Imran and Akram. One of the greatest strike bowlers of this era. Congrats!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Are we going to start a tribute thread for the next English bowler to take 5 wickets in a Series?

Or perhaps for the next Englishman to not get injured in a game?! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
Are we going to start a tribute thread for the next English bowler to take 5 wickets in a Series?

Or perhaps for the next Englishman to not get injured in a game?! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
:D yep thats the best we can do for an english bowler marc :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by CricketGuru

Or an Indian bowler...:lol:

Didn't i once said that this guy is hilarious!!:lol::lol::lol:

Top bowler, in his prime he was the most feard bowler of that time.Getting 400 wkts in ODI is amazing, but i don't think he will be able to get to 500!

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I know this is a ODi thread but Waqar's biggest achievement in my oinion is his outrageous strike rate in tests. Just spectacular, almost of the bradman batting average proportions.

And my most memorable bowling moment in cricket is the 1990 Waqar bowling of Logie, I think I was out of my chair and howling for a few minutes. It will always stay in my memory.

Just for the record the most memorable cricket moment is the six Miandad hit in Sharjah, nothing can top that.

Choora

State Regular
So by the end of W's career , they will have nearly 1000 Oneday wks between them:P:frog::P.

Akram might get near 520-525 wkts, as he's 15 short of 500 and has around 24 more matches to play (16 matches in WC , provided Pak gets to super 6), while Waqar might get around 425 mark, thats around 950!!!

Choora

State Regular
And its not ceratin that Waqar will retire immediately after WC, he's not expressed any such intentions, so he might as well get more than 425 wkts!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Rik

Great comeback!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
And my most memorable bowling moment in cricket is the 1990 Waqar bowling of Logie, I think I was out of my chair and howling for a few minutes. It will always stay in my memory.
Those were some of the most sensational matches I have seen( and I was an eight year old then :D). Great sight to see waqar rip those stumps off, it was customary to see him zero in on the stumps and you just had to wait fir that woody sound.

I've allways been a bit cool on Waqar because of his problems with Wasim and vise versa...
hmm what about his cricket ?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Originally posted by Rik

Great comeback!
except that cricketguru is not an Indian...