• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

[Voting Thread] - Draft of the Dead - Halloween Special

Himannv

International Coach
Screenshot from 2020-11-15 16-38-12.png

Voting Rules: Read this please

• Vote for the better team in each match.
  • Voting closes in 48 hours - All participants need to vote.
  • You cannot vote in your own match.
  • You can post about yout team and your opponent and why you might win - but remember, keep it respectful.
  • Voting format:
    • Match 1 - Himannv
    • Match 2 - Mags

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were 10 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

1. ankitj
  2. Teuton
  3. Pothas
  4. Michael
  5. AndrewB
  6. ataraxia
  7. kingkallis
  8. JOJOXI
  9. BoyBrumby
  10. trundler
Timestamp: 2020-11-15 11:15:46 UTC

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Match 1 - ankitj vs Teuton

1605439220727.jpeg
McCabe and Ponsford - not teammates today

ankitj

Vijay Merchant
Allan Rae
George Headley
Dudley Nourse
Stan McCabe
Warwick Armstrong [5] (c)
Jock Cameron (wk)
Hugh Trumble [4]
Fred Trueman [1]
Jack Cowie [2]
Manny Martindale [3]

Teuton

Bill Ponsford
Roy Fredericks
KS Ranjitsinhji
Everton Weekes
Colin Bland
Keith Miller
Denis Lindsay
Frank Foster
Bob Willis c
Bill Johnston
Subhash Gupte

Match 2 - Pothas vs Michael

Bodyline tactics against the first legends

Pothas

Len Hutton
Conrad Hunte
Peter May*
Martin Crowe
Maurice Leyland
Basil D'Oliveria
John Waite+
Hedley Verity
Harold Larwood
Bill Voce
Alec Bedser

Charter 77 so Far

W. G. Grace (*) (6)
Bruce Mitchell
Lindsay Hassett
Archie Jackson
Victor Trumper
Les Ames (+)
John R. Reid (5)
Wilfred Rhodes (4)
Bill Lockwood (3)
Charles Turner (2)
Ted McDonald (1)

Match 3 - AndrewB vs ataraxia

1605440876487.jpeg
The fearsome Jack Gregory up against Hammond?

AndrewB

Stewie Dempster
Sid Barnes
Ken Barrington
Bill Edrich
Clyde Walcott
Frank Woolley
Jack Gregory
Godfrey Evans+
Johnny Wardle
Ray Lindwall
Sylvester Clarke

ataraxia

1) WA Brown /
2) MH Mankad / o
3) WR Hammond /
4) DCS Compton /
5) HW Taylor /
6) GA Faulkner / o
7) WW Wade / +
8) LN Constantine o /
9) GA Lohmann o /
10) T Richardson o
11) JB Statham o

Match 4 - kingkallis vs JOJOXI

Will Sutcliffe stroke the ball past Oldfield?

CricZo XI

Arthur Morris /
Hanif Mohammad /
Frank Worrell / o (c)
Dean Jones /
Patsy Hendren /
Tony Greig o /
Richie Benaud o /
Gubby Allen o /
Bert Oldfield + /
Malcolm Marshall o /
Fred Spofforth o

JOJOXI - Bunsen Burners XI

1) Herbert Sutcliffe
2) Trevor Goddard
3) Polly Umrigar
4) Norm O'Neill
5) Vijay Hazare
6) Monty Noble
7) Gerry Alexander (wk)
8) Hugh Tayfield
9) Bill O'Reilly
10) Bert Vogler
11) Fazal Mahmood

Match 5 - BoyBrumby vs trundler

Barnes vs Hobbs - One for the ages!

BoyBumby

Bill Woodfull RHB 2300 runs @ 46.00
Eddie Barlow RHB 2516 @ 45.75; RMF 40 wickets @ 34.05
Eddie Paynter LHB 1540 @ 59.23
Duleepsinhji RHB 995 @ 58.53
Douglas Jardine* RHB 1296 @ 48.00
FS Jackson RHB 1415 @ 48.79; RM 24 @ 33.29
Budhi Kunderan+ RHB 981 @ 32.70; 21 catches, 7 stumpings
Trevor Bailey RHB 2290 @ 29.74; RFM 132 @ 29.21
Clarrie Grimmett RHB 557 @ 13.93; LB 216 @ 24.22
SF Barnes RMF 189 @ 16.43
Neil Adcock RF 104 @ 21.11

trundler

Hobbs
Shrewsbury
Macartney
Hill*
Cowdrey
Nurse
imtiaz+
Tate
Laker
Tyson
Bowes

Good luck everyone!

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I believe I should win in first contest against Teuton. I have the better best batsmen of the two sides (George Headley) and also the better best bowler (Fred Trueman). Teuton has the better all rounder in Miller but my team has him covered in the roles he will play (Trueman > Miller as the lead bowler and Armstrong >= Miller as #6 batsman). Among the support cast I have the better middle order with McCabe, Nourse and Headley covering Weekes, Ranji and Bland. Teuton arguably has the better openers but Merchant is no pushover in the contest. Trumble and Armstrong also make for a better spin combo should the wickets assist spin. Support pace bowlers probably are even Stevens. Lindsay in Teuton's team though is the better wk-batsman.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I also think Cowdrey and Hill are catastrophically underrated. Cowdrey averaged more than May and the same as Dexter after 80 tests, which is more than what either played and close to the world record at the time. Hill had multiple entries into Wisden's and DoG's lists of best ever innings. Cowdrey also had his average nerfed by having to face Lillee and Thomson after coming out from retirement.

2 underrated middle order players who are overlooked imo.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trundler v Brumby the closest one for me. Trundler with the better batting but that Barnes and Adcock combination just edges it.

trundler

Yeah, I was fairly confident about Adcock slipping through to me but Brumby snatched him up juuuust before me. Excellent drafting. The same thing happened again with Noble.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I also think Cowdrey and Hill are catastrophically underrated. Cowdrey averaged more than May and the same as Dexter after 80 tests, which is more than what either played and close to the world record at the time. Hill had multiple entries into Wisden's and DoG's lists of best ever innings. Cowdrey also had his average nerfed by having to face Lillee and Thomson after coming out from retirement.

2 underrated middle order players who are overlooked imo.
I may have at least partly picked him just because he played in the bodyline series but if we are talking underrated batsmen then how about Leyland. Good era for batting for sure but his ashes record is superb.

trundler

Leyland and Hendren were on the list of potential picks for me also. Leyland's bios make him sound like a Laxman type.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Trundler v Brumby the closest one for me. Trundler with the better batting but that Barnes and Adcock combination just edges it.
Yeah, I almost voted for Trundler. It came down to voting for better batting or better bowling in the end