• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Viral Draft

Teuton

International Captain
While we are stuck at home I thought a themed draft could be a way to pass the time. In this draft you can only pick a player if they have been a close contact to a previously picked player. Every player picked will have an nominated Test (where the contact occurred) and a subsequent close contact will be defined as playing in their next Test played (whether it’s a few days later or a few years).
A maximum of 3 players can be picked in any one Test to keep the draft moving through time. To clarify, you don’t need to pick a contact of the last player picked either, it can be from any previous pick so long as it is within the max of 3. Any of howstat, cricinfo or CW's own Stats Spider are good for working out the next test for any given player.

8 hours per pick, 12 in the first round. Post if you want in.
I think that double picks might have a disproportionate effect on a team and the pool will be constantly growing rather than contracting so i will randomise the order every round.

Teuton

International Captain
I will set the starting test as the first Test between India and Pakistan, November 1989 (Tendulkar's debut) to give you an idea of the era. So you can expect a 90s based draft with injections of talent throughout.

So there is an assumed unnamed patient 0 in that Test and the first pick will be any of the 22, listed with the date (15/11/89). The second pick will either be on of the remaining 21 players or someone who played in the next Test of the first pick. Hopefully that is fairly straightforward, i think it might be another one where it is easier to understand in practice than in text.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
I will set the starting test as the first Test between India and Pakistan, November 1989 (Tendulkar's debut) to give you an idea of the era. So you can expect a 90s based draft with injections of talent throughout.

So there is an assumed unnamed patient 0 in that Test and the first pick will be any of the 22, listed with the date (15/11/89). The second pick will either be on of the remaining 21 players or someone who played in the next Test of the first pick. Hopefully that is fairly straightforward, i think it might be another one where it is easier to understand in practice than in text.
That clears it up for me thanks.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I like it. So we have a running list of valid tests to pick from?

And we pick a player from an available test and then nominate another test to "infect"?

Teuton

International Captain
Close.
So i will keep and regularly post the list of players picked and the test they got picked (infected)
But you don't nominate the other test, you just nominate the test that they got 'infected' (since there may be more than one option) and then their next test automatically becomes the test that they are 'contagious' that subsequent picks can be made from.

Last edited:

Teuton

International Captain
Participants so far:
1. Teuton
2. Milenko47
3. stephen
4. Red Hill
5. honestbharani
6. Michaelf7777777
7. trundler
8. AndyZaltzHair
9. Magrat Garlick
10. Kingkallis

Last edited:

Teuton

International Captain
Then that branch of 'infection' ends with them. It will have a negligible effect on the talent pool.

I thought of trying to represent this diagramatically but would probably take a bit too much to manage.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Right, so it's always the player's next test. This will be more interesting from a vital study point of view than from a draft point of view in some ways.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Then that branch of 'infection' ends with them. It will have a negligible effect on the talent pool.

I thought of trying to represent this diagramatically but would probably take a bit too much to manage.
We have a lot of time on our hands.
Are we talking about PEWS time here?

Teuton

International Captain
Yes it will take time after every pick to check their next test and work out any newly available (good) players. But one of the stats websites will make it easy to find that info to maintain a list to pick from.

So it does require organisation - if you only check who's available when its your pick it might be a struggle.

And i have seen some of your stats from a past sim league so i know you can do it.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In... This is basically like the scorecard draft but with this added rule that you have to pick someone from your last pick's next test, right? Or is it the last pick of the previous drafter?

Teuton

International Captain
Correct that it is essentially a scorecard test, but you don't have to follow the pick directly before you. You can pick from the next test of any previous pick (up to the max of 3 from each test or else we'll get bogged down in a long series) so the pool keeps growing.

Teuton

International Captain
and the continually growing pool could mean that it is possible to pick up a Murali or McGrath in R11 so you are never really out of it.