• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

vBookie?

Should we have vBookie?

• Yes

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Dravid

International Captain
Now I know we already for the Prediction League, but what about adding vBookie, which can be used with the prediction league for Cricket, and possibly other sporting events.

Thoughts?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
From the vbulletin website:

vBookie is a 'bookmakers' or betting extension to vBulletin. It enables authorised members to post Events and Outcomes that forum members can bet on. Each Outcome has its own set of odds, and odds can be modified through the life of an Event (bets that are placed are stored with the prevailing odds, so even if the odds change, your users are paid at the correct rate).

Once the results are known, Events can be settled and forums members awarded their winnings.

vBookie uses its own vCash by default, but this has no more use than as 'bragging rights'. However, vBookie also comes with a built-in switch to allow it to use uCash or eBux instead. That means that all bets are paid for and settled using uCash, making betting even more attractive than just for fun on forums with uShop installed. Although vBookie does not have any built-in facility to integrate with any other store hacks, it is easy to integrate it with any store/points system you care to use.

Features

* master switch to turn vBookie off
* option to use uCash, eBux or any other cash/points-system (via Plugins)
* settings to restrict the creation of Events to specific user groups
* settings to restrict which user groups can bet on Events
* settings to restrict which user groups can edit or settle other people's Events
* per-Event, specify whether punters may bet on more than one outcome
* optional 'charity mode' so that the poorest members of the forum always have something to play with

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
What exactly is it, and how would it fit in with for example the predictions league?
As for the prediction leagues, I'm not sure how it would fit in with that. I guess top ranked members could be awarded vCash so they could use it on vBookie? On Planet Cricket, a poster's vCash shows under his/her avatar, so really its all about bragging rights.

Dravid

International Captain
nightprowler10 said:
As for the prediction leagues, I'm not sure how it would fit in with that. I guess top ranked members could be awarded vCash so they could use it on vBookie? On Planet Cricket, a poster's vCash shows under his/her avatar, so really its all about bragging rights.
Pretty much. Marc will create threads with odds on the result, toss, number of runs scored, batsman with the highest scores and S/R and all that and users can spend the amount of money they have on it. On Basketballforums they do this for basketball events and it's REALLY popular.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dravid said:
Pretty much. Marc will create threads with odds on the result, toss, number of runs scored, batsman with the highest scores and S/R and all that and users can spend the amount of money they have on it. On Basketballforums they do this for basketball events and it's REALLY popular.
Can tell you now that I won't be posting odds on results, toss, number of runs or anything - far too much work for no reward.

Dravid

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Can tell you now that I won't be posting odds on results, toss, number of runs or anything - far too much work for no reward.
You don't have to come with odds, just set the Odds to 1.00...so if you win, you are doubled.

And trust me, vBookie will save you A LOT of time.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
Really? I would imagine it would be less work than the predictions league. Plus the odds can be taken from Cricinfo. Nobody really does odds on anything other than results.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
To be honest, I'm not sure if vBookie is needed here, but if James does decide to go with it, I'm sure somebody else can do it. Marc already has got his hands full anyway.

PY

International Coach
Haha, not much chance on my part. Final year of uni is too important really though in the summer I may be able to.

It would have worked if we'd had more people keeping the ball rolling but the main problem is updating the money stuff.

Having it done automatically through the forums may change that though. You'll have to ask Jack, he came up with the idea and it's his to decide action on. :)

PY

International Coach
I didn't lose. ;)

Those were the glory days never to return, amazing how much my side has dropped behind others since then.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
PY said:
Having it done automatically through the forums may change that though.
Right. From what I understand, the system assigns the vCash based on the odds the mod puts in. The vBookie mod would not have much work to do.