• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Van Jaarsveld retires to England

Langeveldt

Soutie
Just checked cricinfo.. Totally shocked and has made me feel pretty down..

Id have said Van Jaarsveld had no more tests for South Africa in him, but he remained my favourite current SA player, didnt score enough runs for his country.. I still held a great deal of hope for him though.. I guess he's followed the strong pound because he won't be playing for SA any more, fair enough.. But im still really really gutted.. He was one player I was really looking forward to seeing out there.

:no:

Best of luck over here mate

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
personally i didnt really rate him i am afraid to say, he never looked very confident in his own ability, intresting that his test career is over before it had really gotten off the ground.

although i have to say that he is the only player i have ever known to use this excuse for lonsing his wicket.

" i underestimated the ability of my bat " :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd say it was the second test vs us that probably did it for him. IIRC he scored a v useful 49 in the second innings which was a good part of the reason we couldn't force the win, but was still dumped whilst Amla was retained.

I don't wanna mention the "Q" word, but I can't blame the bloke for taking the Queen's shilling.

Qualifies for England in 4 years anyway! ;)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
I'd say it was the second test vs us that probably did it for him. IIRC he scored a v useful 49 in the second innings which was a good part of the reason we couldn't force the win, but was still dumped whilst Amla was retained.

I don't wanna mention the "Q" word, but I can't blame the bloke for taking the Queen's shilling.

Qualifies for England in 4 years anyway! ;)
Bah humbug. Amla's been & gone, and MVJ still isn't deemed good enough for SA. You couldn't say he wouldn't have played again if ABdeV lost his form or if there were a couple of injuries, but it seems he didn't back himself to get back into the reckoning. I can understand why Langeveldt's unhappy. A pox on the counties who throw their money at these guys instead of developing a few of their own.

Langeveldt

Soutie
wpdavid said:
Bah humbug. Amla's been & gone, and MVJ still isn't deemed good enough for SA. You couldn't say he wouldn't have played again if ABdeV lost his form or if there were a couple of injuries, but it seems he didn't back himself to get back into the reckoning. I can understand why Langeveldt's unhappy. A pox on the counties who throw their money at these guys instead of developing a few of their own.
Will soon be a full on rash, not a pox..

And when England start losing matches, who is going to get blamed?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hopefully he might be qualified to put that right by then. :)
I can certainly think of plenty of players I'd prefer not play for England than MvJ.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Hopefully he might be qualified to put that right by then. :)
I can certainly think of plenty of players I'd prefer not play for England than MvJ.
Oh me too, I doubt he would have played another game for South Africa, quota or no quota, hes had quite a few oppetunitys.. Still a very fine batsman though.. And after all he is entitled to chase the pound if he really insists, after all, I'm going to SA partly because of money issues...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Disappointing news for South Africa, he appeared to be a decent batsman with a useful technique so it's a shame he's decided to leave his country to England. I'm not sure of where he was regarded in the future of South African cricket, not particularly high by the sounds of things, but it's sad news anyway.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Will soon be a full on rash, not a pox..

And when England start losing matches, who is going to get blamed?
I'm sure your first point's spot on. Short termism is rife in the English game, AFAICS.

As for your second point, it depends on who's doing the blaming. Take your pick from the captain, the coach, the counties, the umpires, the ICC & Mark Ramprakash.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I fed up of Players coming over here after then cannot get into the current test tea anymore, so they can have a big pay day

We have got to have a limit on this ( 2 overseas, 1 Kolpak)

it is harming English talent

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wpdavid said:
As for your second point, it depends on who's doing the blaming. Take your pick from the captain, the coach, the counties, the umpires, the ICC & Mark Ramprakash.
Try the first 3 (publically), the fourth (by some) and not the fifth - even he can't be blamed unless he's playing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Somerset said:
Disappointing news for South Africa, he appeared to be a decent batsman with a useful technique so it's a shame he's decided to leave his country to England. I'm not sure of where he was regarded in the future of South African cricket, not particularly high by the sounds of things, but it's sad news anyway.
I think there are better players around - McKenzie and the like - but like I say, I can think of plenty I'd prefer didn't play for England. :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
I fed up of Players coming over here after then cannot get into the current test tea anymore, so they can have a big pay day

We have got to have a limit on this ( 2 overseas, 1 Kolpak)

it is harming English talent
Harming the chances of it coming through, possibly (though I think it's overexaggerated - if a player is international class he'll come through anyway), but more significantly it's taking a lot of money that would be much better spent on long-term preservation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, they should - but if someone's good enough to play for England they'll get into their county sides regardless of who's there.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Had a good convorsation with Neil about it..

It went along the lines of:

ME - Take a guy like Michael Vaughan.. Made a very average start to his career at Yorkshire.. Could have easily been displaced by a Kolpak guy.. Who's to know that Vaughan would blossom into a good test cricketer late on? If Vaughan were to get displaced and leave cricket, thats an England captain gone bye bye..

NEIL - If he is good enough to face Pollock and Ntini, he will have the fight to take the place of a Kolpak player..

ME - Lack of fight to replace Goolam Bodi in the dolphins side never did Kevin Pietersen any harm on the cricket pitch!

Only time will tell I guess..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It all comes down, again, to the basic fact that hardly any successful Test-cricketers have not been successful at the domestic level.

Richard it all comes down to the fact that you type and type and type and type and type and type and type and type and type but continue to make little sense. Do you have any other skills you're not particulary good at?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Richard said:
It all comes down, again, to the basic fact that hardly any successful Test-cricketers have not been successful at the domestic level.
Agreed, with the glaring exception of Michael Clarke.

What a silly silly statement as it is just stating the obvious.
As ive said to my loyal listeners on many occasions, you dont get to the test match arena without starring in at the domestic level before hand. Its just common sense.