• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Using the word "maiden" to describe a runless over

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This should no longer be done imo. The word has negative ***ual connotations.

By using it to describe an unspoilt over implies that non-maiden overs are bad, and thus implies that women who have had *** are impure or spoilt.

Dire imo.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
No, it is an over in which the bowler doesn't concede any runs. If there is a wide or no ball it isn't a maiden. If there is a bye or leg bye it still can be.
That wasn’t the case when the term was coined. Even as recently as Bob Willis’s day No Balls and Wides didn’t count against the bowlers figures.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
That wasn’t the case when the term was coined. Even as recently as Bob Willis’s day No Balls and Wides didn’t count against the bowlers figures.
I don't know when it was changed but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case when I started watching regularly in the early to mid 90s.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
That's interesting. Some of those West Indian bowling averages would be quite a lot worse then as they bowled HEAPS of no balls.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Just more evidence that Anderson is goat.

Rather interesting, actually. I never knew this. It would be an interesting excercise to adjust averages to account for this. Could it equate to more than a run per wicket?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
What's an interesting question is what drove the culture of being tighter with extras. Efficiency? Or selfishly trying to control individual figures?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year

Rather interesting, actually. I never knew this. It would be an interesting excercise to adjust averages to account for this. Could it equate to more than a run per wicket?
Calculate the batting vs bowling average difference for the era. You will get a sudden rise in the difference when the change took place and then gradual normalisation.

a massive zebra

International Captain

Not on average, but it does for some individual bowlers.

Shady Slim

International Coach
really vibing that as head honcho of CricketWeeb sledger wanted to make a thread with maiden in the title itbt