• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
4. Do you bring something to 'the group'?
(enthusiasm, encourage the lads, bucket hands, good trainer, good coffee making skills etc.)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I know the 11 the selectors will pick. E.g. Nicholls at 4, Bracewell at 7 and the 4 seamers.

My preference.
I definitely want Young over Nicholls, that is a no-brainer.

As for the bowling/allrounder mix and positions 7, 8 and 9 in the batting order. I genuinely don't know the balance I would prefer.

This is in part because of the natural decline / injury concern over our old ball seamers Jamieson and Wagner. In part because bazball could/should throw us off our natural rythym (but really that releates to point 1 about our old ball decline). Which then makes picking Sodhi more tempting if England will be batting like it is an ODI.

I kind of think this would be my favourite 11 (Mitchell as 5th bowler, Sodhi taking a full spinners workload, no longer having 4 seamers. Gulp, an era is passing):
  1. Latham
  2. Conway
  3. Williamson
  4. Young
  5. Nicholls
  6. Mitchell
  7. Blundell
  8. Sodhi
  9. Jamieson
  10. Henry
  11. Southee
How about Bracewell for Nicholls in this team? Improves both batting and bowling.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm assuming you mean Doug Bracewell, and I agree that he is a much better batsman than Nicholls.
I made a post about ten years ago where I said D Bracewell should bat 6 for NZ and iirc @Bahnz called me an idiot. Neva 4get.

All this because people insisted NZ's real number 6 batsman, Daniel Vettori, should bat at 8 instead of a more sensible spot. I merely offered a compromise.

Binkley

U19 Captain
4. Do you bring something to 'the group'?
(enthusiasm, encourage the lads, bucket hands, good trainer, good coffee making skills etc.)
Whenever I hear something like this my reaction is that it is code for an unconscious bias. It usually seems to be applied to someone who is white, speaks with the right accent, probably went to one of the right schools, and is possibly related to someone the selectors played with. In other words, someone that the selector just thinks “feels the right selection” without being able to quite put his finger on the reason why.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Whenever I hear something like this my reaction is that it is code for an unconscious bias. It usually seems to be applied to someone who is white, speaks with the right accent, probably went to one of the right schools, and is possibly related to someone the selectors played with. In other words, someone that the selector just thinks “feels the right selection” without being able to quite put his finger on the reason why.
Yeah I wrote it because it is a piece of coach speak that really grates with me.

Moss

International Vice-Captain

Jamieson to play just the first test? The long-awaited Tickner debut will happen at the Basin after all.

jcas0167

International Debutant
This will seem like blatant PEWS pandering but honestly, I feel like our best Test XI to beat England (as it stands, with injuries, no Boult and KJ not being at peak fitness) might include two Bracewells. Certainly I think he's a much better squad member than Tickner.
The selectors owe it to the fans after denying us Double Bracewell in India (and paying the price).

Immenso

International Vice-Captain

Kyle Jamieson and Will Young have been included in a NZ XI squad to play England in a two-day, pink-ball warm-up match, starting in Hamilton on Wednesday.

New Zealand XI squad: Tom Bruce (c), Adi Ashok Jacob Cumming, Sean Davey, Curtis Heaphy (wk), Kyle Jamieson, Jarrod McKay, Robbie O’Donnell, Will O’Donnell, Quinn Sunde, Sean Solia, Theo van Woerkom, Will Young
ND, Otago, Canterbury players would be unavailable, I presume, as their teams still in the super smash.
(although, there are 4 players from those associations in that team, but not in T20 considerations)

jcas0167

International Debutant
Would have liked to see Finn Allen get a game given he scored a ton in the equivalent fixture last time England toured. Ravindra opening would have been good too.

Last edited: