• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think Henry is nailed on as the opening bowler alongside Southee. His current abdominal injury notwithstanding.

He's not really competing with Jamieson and Wagner.

Although Jamieson has opened the bowling on occasions when Boult or Southee haven't played, but that hasn't been the best use of the collective resources.
I assume they are competing if NZ elect to go with three seamers plus Sodhi the piraña, as Southee and Jamieson are picked first and that only leaves one spot.

But they'll probably pick four seamers instead.

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Oh no, NZC have just updated their website.
It's looking very much like the cricket nation page that I navigate away from.

I think the link to cricket archive may be gone?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Fellas, don't rule out a boneheaded move from nzc to actually drop Nicholls (good) but play Conway at 4 and keep Young opening (daft).
I've always enjoyed following your posts but you'll infuriate me if you go down this path again...and more so if it happened. But nah, they finally came to their senses - unfortunately it came post putting a flame thrower to Will Young's international career, when it should've happened before that.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This will seem like blatant PEWS pandering but honestly, I feel like our best Test XI to beat England (as it stands, with injuries, no Boult and KJ not being at peak fitness) might include two Bracewells. Certainly I think he's a much better squad member than Tickner.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This will seem like blatant PEWS pandering but honestly, I feel like our best Test XI to beat England (as it stands, with injuries, no Boult and KJ not being at peak fitness) might include two Bracewells. Certainly I think he's a much better squad member than Tickner.
There is only one Bracewell. And his name is Michael.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
N O SPELLS NO to D Bracewell in tests. I could indulge giving him some T20s and maybe ODIs to see if he can replicate his lower order biffing from domestix at international level (see also Fletcher and Clarkson), but he would have to be an actual good bowler to play a test match.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Dough is interesting because I think people overrated what talent you need to bring to cricketing WWE. The mvp of the most recent world cup of it is a tiny medium pacer who can hit it a bit.

Dougeh has the talent to be useful for NZ in the format and has the domestic results to make a strong case. In test cricket I think he's the best option from CD in that he's a Toyota Corolla with the ball but someone like Nathan Smith has been doing his role but more effectively and is 10 years younger.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dough is interesting because I think people overrated what talent you need to bring to cricketing WWE. The mvp of the most recent world cup of it is a tiny medium pacer who can hit it a bit.

Dougeh has the talent to be useful for NZ in the format and has the domestic results to make a strong case. In test cricket I think he's the best option from CD in that he's a Toyota Corolla with the ball but someone like Nathan Smith has been doing his role but more effectively and is 10 years younger.
N Smith isn't part of an existing NZC hegemony though, is he.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Your condemnation or endorsement of bowlers tends to go the opposite way after you cluck post tho so you're just making him a better bowler by saying this.
Na after years of examination there is no correlation between bowlers and batsman I like and their relative skill levels.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hah true.

I'd pick Smith first but Dougeh is a better selection than at least 2 players in the squad.
NZC Selection Criteria

1. Are you over 30? If not, bad luck.
2. Are you a relative of a previous international cricketer? CONGRATULATIONS! You're in.
3. Are you any good?