• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Really like Moss' post, there's a lot of things we need to be focused on going forward. We're at a critical juncture with our Test side in particular, anyone who thinks we're red-hots to win in England doesn't have my support on that. We just dropped two Test matches at home to Bangladesh and a there for the taking SA.

1. As Moss said, is the bowling approach. Jurgensen needs to prove he doesn't tour the world to drink coffee. The aging and potential loss of Wagner is the biggest one. How, and who, is going to take wickets as the ball gets older? We have a 6'8 guy who should be an option, but he needs a rest and a reset (glad he's not playing IPL). A spinner is going to have to be a strong consideration. And who on the fringes is going to step up next (Sears, Shipley, Lockie etc)
2. Again, agreed that our 8-11 needs massive addressing. I'm not hopeful at all on this. To be fair, Ajaz gets in behind it, but the rest are following Tim's feeble lead. It sucks momentum and runs out of our innings. No one bats with an established guy ie CdG first innings. Wood and whoever else are going to bounce them in England with trap set, and they're not good enough to combat it.
3. Young to 4 at the highest, unless Kane is out. Never again does he open. His technique won't cut it. I'm not a fan of Ravindra opening, yet anyway. Conway might be better at 3 but he's our best equipped opener, even more so than Latham who we are carrying against major sides. If Ravindra played in England they might be tempted to not play Ajaz which can't happen.
4. More ****ing three-Test series, which thankfully the next one is. 1-1 sucks. Sort it out, David White. Play D/N Tests, get it in the right time zone for India or whoever, for all I care have hot tubs/free passes to Firecats and Tui catching zone shirts (actually scratch the last one....) but for god's sake, make it happen. ODIs and T20s come and go on the wind, but Tests are what fire up this board, media columns etc. And we are world champions, by christ.

And yeah 4/10 for the summer including India. A win or a draw here would've been a pass, but we had 3x two-Test series and buggered up half of them. India was OK, but the lack of urgency v Bangladesh was embarrassing and a lack of skill here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think KJ getting the second season blues is what has hit you hard. Hopefully he figures things out and remains a threat. But you should always play Ajaz IMO. And I think you need to figure out the second opener situation. Otherwise, its not as bleak as you may think, though they may not be that successful overseas, but at least you will remain formidable at home and competitive away. And honestly, I think it is the best any fan can hope for from their side in tests right now.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Plenty of cricket coming up during our winter but then it's going to be middle of the night stuff. I hear there are couple of games vs county sides prior the test series vs England also a strong chance we're taking NZ A to play the Lions in England.

Time to ramp up white ball cricket too, there are couple of world cups back to back.

Immenso

As I pointed out in the other thread. NZ have managed to cancel yet another of their rare test matches. The one-off test v Ireland pencilled for July.
NZ will have a squad of test players next door finishing up 12 days before the first ODI - in which those 12 days neither Ireland or NZ will play any games of any format , but both boards would rather just send them home.

A non-WTC test, chance to increase the depth and experience.

Replaced with 3T20s.

They could actually do matches of all of those formats if they wanted in that available space (in that time, but I concede it does sound like grounds/facilities are a constraint for Ireland). Maybe in those 12 free days is when they plan to achieve this part:
New Zealand are also due to play Scotland and Netherlands in 2022, though fixtures are yet to be confirmed.
We deserve our up-coming plummet of the test side. No one in charge actually cares. Although I assume this is really an Irish Board call, but peas in a pod. I think NZC secretly aspires to be like Irish cricket. Test status in name only.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very disappointing. It would be great to have a test vs Ireland.
It just really, really infuriates me. I tried very hard not to post when you posted this earlier and try and calm down, but it really is a **** thing. NZ were treated poorly with second string teams sent from the Test nations in the early days. I really had hoped that we would be less inclined to patronise and treat these smaller Test nations with such cynicism. I've probably made it clear in the past that I enjoy watching these 2nd tier nations. When Zimbabwe last toured, I made sure to go and watch the game (for the record, 2012 - Napier.) - that's ten years ago and twenty-two years since their previous Test in NZ. It just isn't good enough, as far as I'm concerned. It's infuriating, it's cynical and it simply isn't good enough.

Flem274*

123/5
Enjoying the chat in here. Gonna add in some heretical chat.

I understand wanting to open with Conway, but you should also try to put your best players where they will score freight loads of runs. I think we should put KW #3 and Conway #4.

Young is a very good player but he isn't best used as an opener. If Ravindra is not ready for Lords, I would be happy to use a stop gap. Obviously I'm backing Hay for a mini-career but realistically they will pick Rutherford. There is nothing wrong with having a reserve batsman of Will Young's quality.

On the bowling attack, I think that Wagner is still effective and useful but agree he is fading. Also, based on not just his returns but how he has bowled this summer, Jamieson is not an autopick until he gets his outswinger and rearing off a length back. He looks like Jacob Oram right now.

Combined with Boult's gentle decline we can't just batter teams down with 5 quicks right now. 3 bowlers out of sorts, 1 potentially terminal and set to retire.

Matt Henry has almost put himself in the first choice team I think. If we could get some Shield games into Kyle Jamieson, Trent Boult and Lockie Ferguson instead of JAMODIs and IPL trash it would be very helpful. They need some bowling. What they all have to their advantage is the Duke and English conditions will give them a bit of a hand for finding form.

My heretical tour party. 18 people right?

Latham
Hay
Williamson
Conway
Nicholls
Blundell (wk) (concerned about catching)
CdG
Henry
Southee
Ferguson
Ajaz

Ravindra
Young
Mitchell
Fletcher/Cleaver
Boult
Jamieson
Wagner

nzfan

@Flem274* as much as you want Hay, he won't feature mate that's for sure.

Been hearing there's going to be A side as well going to UK playing vs Lions which means we'll be taking like 30 players. Chances are some of the regular test players may miss the first test due to IPL so your wish to play Young in the middle order may fruition with a proper opener slotted in. I'm not expecting any major changes to the 15 men squad we had recently, maybe Ajaz will come in for Tickener.

Flem274*

123/5
@Flem274* as much as you want Hay, he won't feature mate that's for sure.
Yeah I know :(
Been hearing there's going to be A side as well going to UK playing vs Lions which means we'll be taking like 30 players.
Yesssss
Chances are some of the regular test players may miss the first test due to IPL
Dire. Absolutely dire. I hope they enjoy sitting on the sideline for the remaining two after their replacements win the Lords test.

There aren't too many players who can claim to be indispensable right now, especially with the mixture of competition for spots and two bad home losses. Fair enough if they want the cash, but they don't get their seat saved.

nzfan

Depends on who makes the play offs and finals at IPL. It may not be all the players but there's no way they'll play the finals, fly to UK and play test cricket with two days notice. Just hope Kane's team don't make the finals.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Seems more and more like our Test goal was to just jag a WTC last year and then just be content with it.
It’s been a frustrating summer, but I think had Kane been fit, results would probably have been different.

Also, 2 down for **** all twice in the same match with Mitchell at 5 and the tail starting at 8 meant that we were pushing **** up hill.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Enjoying the chat in here. Gonna add in some heretical chat.

I understand wanting to open with Conway, but you should also try to put your best players where they will score freight loads of runs. I think we should put KW #3 and Conway #4.

Young is a very good player but he isn't best used as an opener. If Ravindra is not ready for Lords, I would be happy to use a stop gap. Obviously I'm backing Hay for a mini-career but realistically they will pick Rutherford. There is nothing wrong with having a reserve batsman of Will Young's quality.

On the bowling attack, I think that Wagner is still effective and useful but agree he is fading. Also, based on not just his returns but how he has bowled this summer, Jamieson is not an autopick until he gets his outswinger and rearing off a length back. He looks like Jacob Oram right now.

Combined with Boult's gentle decline we can't just batter teams down with 5 quicks right now. 3 bowlers out of sorts, 1 potentially terminal and set to retire.

Matt Henry has almost put himself in the first choice team I think. If we could get some Shield games into Kyle Jamieson, Trent Boult and Lockie Ferguson instead of JAMODIs and IPL trash it would be very helpful. They need some bowling. What they all have to their advantage is the Duke and English conditions will give them a bit of a hand for finding form.
Doubt Lockie has much interest in even trying to pursue a FC cricket career anymore now that he's got a big money IPL contract on the line.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Depends on who makes the play offs and finals at IPL. It may not be all the players but there's no way they'll play the finals, fly to UK and play test cricket with two days notice. Just hope Kane's team don't make the finals.
Some of our players literally did this in 2015.