• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

thundaboult

International Debutant
Munro continuing to prove why he's our best t20 bat. I have this bad feeling that NZC really is done with him. I really really hope it ain't true.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hagley Oval sold out already for the T20 v Australia. You kinda expect it given that Jade Stadium used to routinely get 15,000+ in for daynight international games, but the speed with which the tickets have gone is great to see.

In terms of a team for the series, if Ferguson is fit I'm sure they'll play him (even though I feel nervous about it). Milne's bowling in the BBL has been...not terrible so at the least I'm hoping they'll share fast bowler duties between the two of them and Kugz.

Last edited:

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Some interesting debate between Goran Paladin and Jeff Wilson on the verdict about whether black caps deserve no. 1 Paladin reckons Black Caps doesn't deserve no.1 billing and Jeff Wilson reckons otherwise. Goran just reckons if Black Caps can't beat Aussie then they don't deserve the tag.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You can also say if India can't beat us they don't deserve it, and if Australia can't beat India neither do they.
Guess it depends on what you mean by "deserving" the #1 ranking. Because it's impossible to really say that NZ are definitely the best team in the world. But at the same time, NZ obviously are one of the best teams, and it makes sense that their schedule would eventually give them a turn at the top. Had this argument with a friend the other day. She said there's no way NZ should be #1, but then when I pointed out the holes in India, Aus and England's respective CV's all she could come back with was "Well they just don't seem very #1ish." And that's fair.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonder if there's a lot of casual fans who think that. I know people who still think we have the good ol' Kiwi batting collapse every match even though that's not been true for years now.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Test cricket is interesting atm. We’re number one but we’ve been pummeled by Australia in Australia. Yet we’ve beaten everyone else we’ve played (or at least drawn) and beat India at home. Australia lost to India at home, though India were bowled out for 36.

just think there’s less rhyme and reason to it. My gut it’s something like
1. India
3. Australia and nz
4. England

The Hutt Rec

Guess it depends on what you mean by "deserving" the #1 ranking. Because it's impossible to really say that NZ are definitely the best team in the world. But at the same time, NZ obviously are one of the best teams, and it makes sense that their schedule would eventually give them a turn at the top. Had this argument with a friend the other day. She said there's no way NZ should be #1, but then when I pointed out the holes in India, Aus and England's respective CV's all she could come back with was "Well they just don't seem very #1ish." And that's fair.
Exactly, maybe people struggle because it’s not like the noughties when Australia were virtually unbeatable, or even the 80s with West Indies. The number one doesn’t have to win every single game or series, just be the most consistent ... and I think NZ currently are that. Certainly our record in the sub-continent is miles ahead of Australia.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Well I think SA will win at least one test vs Australia, so I'm pretty confident we will make the final. And with the form that some of our players are in we will be a pretty decent chance in that match especially if we get these 2 tests vs England as warm ups.

Flem274*

123/5
numbers game. making cricket more accessible i.e. affordable to the majority of people means you'll gain more viewers than you'll lose from the true wop wops. sky were also losing money from their stupidity because people freeload off relatives with skygo. sky could have 3 subscriptions from our family but nope 1. suck it ****s.

my parents live very rurally and spark works for them, but i imagine anyone living more secluded would struggle. tbh dad won't admit it but spark works better than sky and their ****ing rain fade.

just need to improve the internet in nz basically. im glad we have two sports platforms now.

nzfan

The internet doesn't pick up in some spots on stat highway 2 when heading into town let alone rural. Why doesn't sky buy rights off Spark and that will solve the problem for everyone? They will not have production costs either.

Mike5181

International Captain
The internet doesn't pick up in some spots on stat highway 2 when heading into town let alone rural. Why doesn't sky buy rights off Spark and that will solve the problem for everyone? They will not have production costs either.
Who is everyone? SKY is more than twice the price of Spark Sport.