• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* India in Zimbabwe 2015

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really see the point of Harbhajan but the rest of those picks are really good.
Still better than Axar and Karn for the 3rd spinner in subcontinent? (Axar disappointed in Bangladesh)

Edit: But maynot be a good pick if the focus is on the 2019 England World Cup

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Chief selector Sandeep Patil told reporters in New Delhi on Monday that the squad was chosen keeping the ICC World T20 2016 in mind.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have much less of a problem selecting Harbhajan for limited overs cricket than for test cricket. If truth be told, he is not THAT far off Ashwin in LO games and his hitting ability would be a welcome addition to our lower order.

For tests, on the other hand, I would rather see Mishra get a go.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't understand the point of Murali Vijay as opener, get the likes of Vohra in ffs, Rahane captaining and opening is also going to be lame as he will be pushed down the order afterwards anyways. Good to see Uthappa back though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Don't understand the point of Murali Vijay as opener, get the likes of Vohra in ffs, Rahane captaining and opening is also going to be lame as he will be pushed down the order afterwards anyways. Good to see Uthappa back though.
Who said Rahane will be opening?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In an ideal world, Rohit would be our #4. But now Dhoni is there and Rohit will not accept batting at 6 or 7, so we will have to make do without Rahane opening, even though with him as opener, I feel we can be so so much more consistent.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
haha, on what basis? a couple of IPL games and his date of birth?

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Who said Rahane will be opening?
Well its a reasonable guess, although with Uthappa there it could be that he may come 1 down.

haha, on what basis? a couple of IPL games and his date of birth?
With keeping the World T20 next year in mind, Murali Vijay is not meant for limited overs cricket, I know he gunned it in the IPL in the first few years but he's still not the guy I want at the top of the order. Vohra is seriously talented and I feel he's one guy who is worth giving a chance at the top of the order.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
I would have liked to see them try someone younger, like Karun in the side instead of blokes like Tiwary...

Karun selected for the A squad which will be playing just as the Zimbabwe tour finishes. The Zimmer tour loaded with trundelers, while the a team is pacers.:ph34r:

Saha must feel a little annoyed to miss out on selection on both tours, he has had 2 pretty good seasons with Punjab where he showed he had plenty of gears, also a much better keeper than Robin.

FirstpostSports ✔@FirstpostSports
India A squad: KLRahul, Mukund, Pujara (C), Karun, Iyer, Naman, Shanker, Amit Mishra, Pragyan, Shardul, Aaron, Mithun, Umesh, Gopal, Aparjit
India 'A' squad named for matches in July against Australia 'A' and South Africa 'A'

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Karun selected for the A squad which will be playing just as the Zimbabwe tour finishes. The Zimmer tour loaded with trundelers, while the a team is pacers.:ph34r:

Saha must feel a little annoyed to miss out on selection on both tours, he has had 2 pretty good seasons with Punjab where he showed he had plenty of gears, also a much better keeper than Robin.
I like the idea of Aaron and Umesh playing in Aus and SA against A sides. Not including Saha in either team is a bad call though - I agree with you. Not sure where I stand on the Vijay call - he deserves it, but a couple of years ago he lost test march concentration due to t20 mindset.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Best situation for India with respect to the spinners -

Harbhajan, Axar and Karn or Piyush Chawla become the LO spinners - all decent LO lower order hitters too...

Ashwin, Mishra and Jadeja become the test spinners - All decent lower order batters for test cricket (Jadeja included more in hope than reality though)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Nah we need Ashwin for all formats, after how he's bowled in Australia test series and World Cup

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
It's also important to note that selectors have categorically said that Jadeja has been 'dropped' while others have been rested.

Niall

International Coach
Nah we need Ashwin for all formats, after how he's bowled in Australia test series and World Cup
Agreed.

Not to sure if I'd just restrict Harby to test cricket either, gunned it at the recent IPL and could be an option with the t20 world cup in India next year.

I know most people online adore Mishra, but I think he is overrated, attack him and he will drop his head very quickly,

I wouldn't be totally opposed to chahal getting a go for the limited overs side in the next year or so either, very handy for Bangalore.

What do we all think of Negi? Done okish for Chennai this year and is a serious hitter as well.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
I don't think there is a point to let Rahane open when we have kind of nailed down Dhawan and Rohit as our ODI and T20 hitters. Rahane will most probably play a #5 so it makes more sense for him to get some practice.

Suppose he does quite well opening against Zim? What do we do? Make him open against South Africa at the expense of Dhawan / Rohit?

BTW. Dhawan is developing quite a good ODI record. Average of 44 and SR of 90. Good for any opener.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amla, McCullum and Guptill are probably the only ones better than him atm.