• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umpiring Stuff-Ups

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Umpiring mistakes always have and always will occur in any level of cricket. Before relating some personal experiences I'll mention just a couple from Ashes Tests.

The 4th Test of the 1921 series at Old Trafford was reduced to a two day game. Lionel Tennyson declared England's innings closed but Australia's keeper, Sammy Carter pointed out that the declaration was illegal in that it was being made within 100 minutes of the close of play in a two day game. After a 25 minute break, England resumed its innings. Warwick Armstrong had bowled the over before the illegal declaration and, upon resumption, he bowled the next over becoming the first player to bowl consecutive overs in one innings in a Test match.

Moving to the 1st Test at Brisbane in the 70/71 series Keith Stackpole made a fine 207. However, on 18 he was clearly run out - photographs at the time show him out by well over a metre. Wikipedia notes: 'The Australian papers carried photographs the next day showing that Stackpole was clearly out and labelled the decision "one of the worst in cricket history"' The offending umpire was Lou Rowan who stood in a series when not one Australian batsman was given out lbw. John Snow, in his book, said of Rowan, "I have never come across another umpire so full of his own importance, so stubborn, lacking in humour, unreasonable and utterly unable to distinguish between a delivery short of a length which rises around the height of the rib cage and a genuine bouncer which goes through head high".

But I digress. I was intending to relate some "classic" stuff ups at club level.

A close friend of mine found it hard to break into the lower teams so he took up wicket keeping. It became standard practice, post game, for top side players wanting to know how many byes Jim had let through. Initially it would be 30+ but, to his credit, he gradually improved. After one game he proudly showed us their score book. The byes column was empty. After accepting much praise he said, but look at leg byes - there were a dozen or so. "That's not your doing!" we assured him. It was! Apparently the umpire called byes for a bye passing the off stump and leg byes when it passed down leg. WHen asked about balls coming off the batsman's pads he claimed they were runs to the batsman.

I captained our Club's 2nd XI for a couple of seasons later in my 'career'. On one occasion, while we were batting, an overly officious umpire signaled four runs with one arm and one short with the other. "That's three scorers!" he boomed loudly. I had to calm a number of my team who responded incredulously. "Just put a mark on the '3' and I'll have a word with him at tea?" The conversation went thus:
Me: Isn't a four a four if it crosses the boundary?
Ump: Not if the batsmen run one short.
Me: But how many times in Test cricket do you see batsmen running and then stopping short when they realise it's going to cross the boundary.
Ump: But they're not trying to cheat. Your player ran one short well before the ball crossed the boundary.
Me: I object to you calling my player a cheat!
Ump: If you don't stop questioning my authority I'll report you.
Me: Please do. Only one of us will look foolish and it won't be me.
He didn't report me!

Finally, I made my share of mistakes in 150 games of umpiring. Perhaps my worst was in a first grade game. There was a big appeal for a catch behind off a spinner. I'd heard a sound and looked back at my fellow umpire to see him give "Not out!" Meanwhile there was a secondary appeal while I was looking the wrong way - an appeal for a stumping. I had no option but to give "Not out" as I'd missed the action. The fielding side were understandably aggrieved and, to make matters worse, the batsman later admitted he was out twice. Never take your eye off the ball!

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
About time we had a thread dedicated to Kumar Dharmasena

I had a local umpire try to tell me that my lbw appeal was not out because it pitched outside off. And this happened multiple times with multiple umpires.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
About time we had a thread dedicated to Kumar Dharmasena

I had a local umpire try to tell me that my lbw appeal was not out because it pitched outside off. And this happened multiple times with multiple umpires.
Clearly copying Dickie Bird. He, and many umpires in that era, interpreted LBWs that way, thought it had to be pitching between wickets. They were fantastically wrong.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who was the guy who went to give the batsman out and then juz scratched his head instead? Asad Rauf?
dunno but someone did that in the Big Bash this year, was going to give it out then last minute scratched his nose instead

unsurprisingly he was also a terrible umpire who seemed to get most things wrong

Clearly copying Dickie Bird. He, and many umpires in that era, interpreted LBWs that way, thought it had to be pitching between wickets. They were fantastically wrong.
Imagine trying to get an lbw as an off-spinner with those umps, **** me

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah that is the one but I seem to remember a similar incident many years ago. Will search and see if I can find it.

Kraken

International 12th Man
Playing lowly park cricket means player umpires - and its shocking just how many people don't actually know the rules. So many arguments had on the field, one leading to a punch up

Starfighter

Imagine trying to get an lbw as an off-spinner with those umps, **** me
John Emburey's straight breaks would have done way better in the DRS era. Even in highlights you just see so many instances of him thudding the ball into the pads in line with off and it not being given.

On the other hand I suspect many of Waqar's lbws from the 1992 series were actually missing leg. Umpires often seem to have projected straight back from the point of impact rather than along the trajectory of the ball.

Starfighter

I gave a horrendous lbw at the end of last season - against my own team. It was Bucknor-Tendulkar bad. We were never getting within a cooee of the opposition's score and I think I just wanted to go home.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Being a player-umpire is fun. We have had all kinds of silly rules back when we were 10 or so and playing cricket in the Marina Beach. Bowlers are supposed to tell the umpire their "guard" (basically like right arm over or right arm around the wicket) and we no-balled a bowler who was even younger than us for not telling the "guard" to the umpire. He came up to me and said "guard" and went back and bowled again. We got 4 no-balls before he got it right. :laugh:

Starfighter

A very memorable one was when, in a semi-final, the umpires shorted us a whole over with five-ball overs. Twice I saw the standing umpire click their counter over on a wide. Apparently they weren't checking each other either. These were both paid umpires. The opposition got their full innings and we lost the match defending in the final over. Was there as plain as day in both scorebooks, but apparently that wasn't convincing enough and a few threats were enough for me to not take the issue further.

Kraken

International 12th Man
I once had an umpire who was such a stickler for the rules that he sighted a bloke from my team for swearing (it is technically an offence to be caught swearing loud enough that people outside the field can hear). The bloke said "****" when dropping an attempted catch (and quite badly breaking his finger - bone sticking through the skin). It's also a rule in this comp if someone gets sighted, then the team's captain (me) also gets sighted. Suspended for a game....thankfully rescinded after having to go in front of a tribunal to explain the situation....so stupid

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Umpiring is an impossible task and often as much about instinct as anything else with thin edges and stuff. Dickie Bird not giving LBW’s was nothing to do with not knowing the laws. He believed that pitching outside off and hitting generally meant bowling from too wide of the crease to be sure of the angle. Dickie for all his reputation would have been as exposed as the next man by DRS.

My own worst experience was on a windy day in April back in the 80’s. The captains agreed to play without bails as they kept being blown off. I had a shout for LBW. I’m not saying it was plumb or anything but the umpire said NOT OUT with the reasoning that the bails couldn’t be dislodged and the captains had not agreed to waive that law.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
i play some social cricket where the teams umpire themselves...have seen guys refuse to give byes because the batsman did not offer a shot. One of these guys has actually played a high level of cricket too. Ridiculous.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This thread is absolutely not complete without this:

Ahhhhhh this is glorious. I've posted about this dismissal before. I was on the terraces at Eden Park that day. I was **** faced. I reckon that dismissal would've been mid to late arvo, I'd been drinking all day. And I absolutely knew it was nowhere near the bat when Adams went up. I still remember the shock when Cowie raised his finger. So Doug Cowie, nice bloke as he is, is a worse umpire than a blind drunk 20 year old 80m away. Who cares though, that Test was awesome. The day-night innings when we batted under lights and the England fielders couldn't see it was about as much fun as I've had at a ground.

Whenever I see this thread, I think of this dismissal when we just beat Bangladesh in Bangladesh a few years ago: (via Cricinfo)

In the second over after the break, Brendon McCullum was adjudged lbw to Abdur Razzak by umpire Asoka de Silva. Replays showed the ball clearly pitched outside the leg stump and would not have gone on to hit his stump.

Asoka was the worst non-bent (I think) umpire I've ever seen.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Incidentally my earliest memory of cricket is sitting at Auckland Domain scoring my dad's social cricket team in my cricket board game score card, and watching on as they had a considerable debate about whether you could be caught off a wide. And when I say caught off a wide, I mean this guy sliced one to point. Not a faint nick.

Bijed

International Regular
Pretty much every after-work game I've played in involves, at some point, the umpire being asked how many balls are left in the over and replying with "Oh yeah, forgot to keep count, sorry"