• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Umesh Yadav - Time to go?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Indian pacers from 2015:

Shami - 28 wickets in 10 matches @ 28.9
Sharma - 22 wickets in 11 matches @ 31.7
Bhuvi - 13 wickets in 4 matches @ 23.7
Aaron - 5 wickets in 4 matches @ 41.2
Yadav - 21 wickets in 12 matches @ 47.6

More than anything though, Shami has been really critical for India in keeping it tight most of the time when conditions are not in favour and bowling crucial spells to break long partnerships in the tail. He has matured so much as a bowler and you can't dock him any points for not bowling to the best of his abilities.

Yadav on the other hand, despite being slightly more talented, bowls without a plan most of the time, has regressed as a bowler and right now is deadweight in the side. He doesn't adapt at all to the match situation. I know the cupboards are not bountiful but I'm sure we can find someone who doesn't average 45-50 nearly every series and leaks runs at the worst times.

I think it's time we take our shovel and start digging hard for a not terrible pacer. It's been too long since we have.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bhuveneshwar will get picked over him when fit and I expect Ishant too when they play away so yeah this is basically fine.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Yadavs been pretty unlucky this series with dropped catches tbf. Some of them were regulation too. I think most people agree yadav and shami have both been good this series so far

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Issue is, Yadav and Shami are actually pretty similar as bowlers. So I agree with the earlier poster.. Shami, Bhuvi and Ishant will be the perfect seam trio for us overseas, with Jaddu and Ashwin as spinners. Ishant is ideally suited to the 3rd seamer/into the wind bowler and Shami and Bhuvi can do stuff with the new ball. And Bhuvi wont be the worst #9 for us and Ishant can be nightwatchman when needed. Shami can just be Shami at #10. :)

indiaholic

International Captain
I think he is our third option after Bhuvi and Ishant. As far as third option Indian fast bowlers go, he is fine.

Teja.

Global Moderator
The fact is that given the fitness of our pacers, the person in the Yadav slot will play a substantial amount of tests. IMO while our stocks aren't great, we can and should try to find a better guy to have his spot in the rotation.

It's not hard to do better than Yadav has for the last few years, especially in Indian conditions where our 130 kph accurate domestic bowlers will still be fairly not terrible.

Yadav's not showing any upside either so it's not even an investment.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shami and Bhuvi are clearly superior and ishant has done all right recently too,so tough to see a spot for him if they're fit.

I disagree that he's not shown any upside though. Yeah he's dumb and bowls a lot of crap but man has he been unlucky with drops this series.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Man, am I excited to see Bhuvi-mk II though, went from PK pace to Anderson pace in 2 years without losing accuracy.

The worry with him is that he isn't used to the spearhead role even in domestic cricket, For the majority of his FC career he's been the sort of a guy who's more of an all rounder who's h4x with the new ball but he's suddenly picked up pace and can apparently reverse. I hope his body can handle an increased workload. Not the best record with injuries, as it is.

vcs

Bhuvi can step in for him when he's back fit.

What India need more than anything else right now is a keeper-batsman of the quality of Bairstow or De Kock.. if we are to persist with a 5-man attack, keeper simply has to be more than merely serviceable with the bat.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Bhuvi can step in for him when he's back fit.

What India need more than anything else right now is a keeper-batsman of the quality of Bairstow or De Kock.. if we are to persist with a 5-man attack, keeper simply has to be more than merely serviceable with the bat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yadavs been pretty unlucky this series with dropped catches tbf. Some of them were regulation too. I think most people agree yadav and shami have both been good this series so far
He also got lucky with the dropped catch that got given out don't forget...

Daemon

He's the 4th best bowler for sure, and it's hard to see a spot open up for him when the other 3 are fit.

That said he's plenty ahead of the 5th best option as far as I can tell and his average is misleading.

vcs

So is Teja our Howsie? :p

Has he done anything different with his bowling in this series from a technical perspective? The last time I properly watched him bowl was the spell in the 1st innings against Bangladesh, and that was pretty special.