• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two Twenty20 World Cups on the way

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langeveldt said:
But when they are playing 50-60-100 Twenty20 international games a year, I'd be surprised if the crowds keep coming.. Especially when they start chucking teams like Bangladesh into the mix
But they're not playing that many, or anywhere near. I don't think that number of domestic games has particularly stopped the crowds attending domestic rugby or football fixtures. I don't see internationals being particularly different and in cricket they'll never play that many Twenty20 games anyway - it's just not feasible.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And also, Bangladesh might actually pull of an upset more often than you think. They can already pull an upset from time to time in ODI, this will suit them even more.

The shorter the game, the greater the chance of lesser-teams winning out. Its hard to keep up with Australia for five days and 450 overs, but for two sessions of 20 overs each? Yea, you can do that.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
silentstriker said:
And also, Bangladesh might actually pull of an upset more often than you think. They can already pull an upset from time to time in ODI, this will suit them even more.

The shorter the game, the greater the chance of lesser-teams winning out. Its hard to keep up with Australia for five days and 450 overs, but for two sessions of 20 overs each? Yea, you can do that.
And thing is in the 20/20 format spinners are often quite effective and so might suit the bangladesh attack better.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Scaly piscine said:
But they're not playing that many, or anywhere near
Not at the moment, but when the ICC gets onto a moneyspinner, like Pro20, where do you stop them?

I'm just surprised the BCCI are so anti Pro20, after all, money seems to be their primary consideration, or maybe i'm just over estimating it's earning power..

Scaly piscine

The number of 20 over games played outside of the World Cup has absolutely nothing to do with the ICC. Just as it is with the ODIs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Langeveldt said:
Not at the moment, but when the ICC gets onto a moneyspinner, like Pro20, where do you stop them?

I'm just surprised the BCCI are so anti Pro20, after all, money seems to be their primary consideration, or maybe i'm just over estimating it's earning power..
50 overs lasts longer than 20 overs.

Hence more advertising occurs during 50 over games.

andyc

Scaly piscine said:
What a load of nonsense. It's a natural progression for the format just as it was for ODIs several decades ago. Occasional international games do not dilute the crowd, especially World Cups that are every 4 years.
Scaly, you're completely entitled to disagree with something (obviously), but do you have to call it a 'lod of nonsense?' Couldn't you just be nicer and say 'I disagree,' or just simply launch into what you're going to say?

Scaly piscine

andyc said:
Scaly, you're completely entitled to disagree with something (obviously), but do you have to call it a 'lod of nonsense?' Couldn't you just be nicer and say 'I disagree,' or just simply launch into what you're going to say?
It was a load of nonsense, if you want to faff around with that diplomatic crap on a web forum then fine. I'll stick with telling it as it is thanks.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
It was a load of nonsense, if you want to faff around with that diplomatic crap on a web forum then fine. I'll stick with telling it as it is thanks.
Does it ask too much to be polite?
Is it just an excuse for a fight?
Why the venting of spleens,
wiping spittle off screens
when you yourself talk so much sheight?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yikes, another nine-day tournament to cram up fixture lists...

Hosts have been announced for lots of years in the future, btw.

2007 South Africa
2008 Pakistan
2009 England
2010 West Indies
2012 Sri Lanka

All ten Test-playing countries will take part, according to cricinfo.

Edit: Wait a minute. Now they're saying the 2008 and 2010 events are Champions' Trophies, and by 2012 they'll choose between Twenty20 WC and Champions Trophy. That's some good news, at least. http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/245789.html#Sambit

Last edited:

jot1

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Internet hardnut alert.

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
Yikes, another nine-day tournament to cram up fixture lists...

Hosts have been announced for lots of years in the future, btw.

2007 South Africa
2008 Pakistan
2009 England
2010 West Indies
2012 Sri Lanka

All ten Test-playing countries will take part, according to cricinfo.

Edit: Wait a minute. Now they're saying the 2008 and 2010 events are Champions' Trophies, and by 2012 they'll choose between Twenty20 WC and Champions Trophy. That's some good news, at least. http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/245789.html#Sambit
So will it then be:

And so forth?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Craig said:
So will it then be:

And so forth?
Presumably, though they're supposed to "do an evaluation" after 2009, probably seeing how much money Twenty20 earns compared to Champions' Trophy.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
:laugh: :lol: I love this guy.