• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 - favours whom?

Whom does the twenty20 game favour more?

• Batsmen

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • Bowlers

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Equal for both

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Whilst we're using tennis balls, how about we have tip n' run? Hell also one hand one bounce. That ought to take away the batsmen's dominance in the modern game.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Can make the crap batsman look good, which can devalue the truly great batsmen. So it depends what you mean by being a batsman's game.

Tipity and one hand one bounce sound good, but why don't we stop Australia's dominance in the game while we're at it? No countries, whoever gets them out bats.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
This twenty-over game favours nobody in its current form. .
How can it favour no one when 10 wickets only have to last 20 overs instead of 50?
If it favours no one why are 20/20 run rates so extraordinarily high?

There really is no room to debate this matter.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Obviousbly favours the batsmen. (BTW, i accidentally votes for bowlers. Thought i had clicked on the batsmen button)

Despite the fact averages are lower.

It's not just about averages, it's about the general feel of a game. There isn't much motivation for a bowler who could bowl a fantastic inswinger but an average batsmen who is just swinging from the hips happens to connect and sends it for 4 or 6. Could happen in proper version of the game, but is MUCH less likely.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's also much more likely to knock out some stumps in Twenty20 than it is in a 'proper version of the game'.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
Why?! It's like playing football with a basketball...
Twenty20 is also dementing cricket from essentially what it should be. A fair contest between the bat and the ball.

Scaly piscine

Pratyush said:
Twenty20 is also dementing cricket from essentially what it should be. A fair contest between the bat and the ball.
That's rich coming from the home of 300+ score ODI pitches.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Scaly piscine said:
Its not my mistake the pitches are the way they are in India! Does not mean I support flat batting tracks as is evident from my posts/comments.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Scaly piscine said:
What's that got to do with him? Maybe I should blame you for the crap weather in England when I went there for a holiday?

Absolutely ridiculous post!

Scaly piscine

Jono said:
What's that got to do with him? Maybe I should blame you for the crap weather in England when I went there for a holiday?

Absolutely ridiculous post!
It's an example of how the game is already in favour of the batsmen because of the amount of flat pitches out there - Tests and ODIs. So Twenty20 would not really be "dementing cricket from essentially what it should be" any further.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Scaly piscine said:
It's an example of how the game is already in favour of the batsmen because of the amount of flat pitches out there - Tests and ODIs. So Twenty20 would not really be "dementing cricket from essentially what it should be" any further.
yes it does.

The game is designed for the crowds and attracting new supporters to the game.

One of the biggest problems attracting new supporters to the game is the length of time the game lasts. Those who are bought into the game love the battle between batsmen and bowler.

Attracting new people to the game comes through batsmen, and not a batsmen grinding out a hard fought century to bring his team back from a 250 run deficit on a dodgy wicket to give his team something to bowl at in the fourth innings.

They want to see sixes and big hits, and big swings - baseball style.

As a bowler, a don't want to have four overs at a batsmen. That requires just putting the ball in good areas and hoping the batsmen misses. There's not really any planning for a bowler and a big chunk of taking a wicket is luck - will the batsmen connect or not.

But in the longer form, it's much less about luck. It's about setting a plan to a particular batsmen and working to that plan. About getting to that 6th over when you start to the feel the pain and fatigue kicking in, but still pushing on to that 12th over when your not absolutely rooted but your captain just wants another 2 or 3 overs out of you because you haven't strayed from your line at all.

I don't like looking into the fixture book and seeing we've got a one-dayer next week as opposed to a two-dayer because i know i'm only gonna be in the game for 10 overs at the very most.

I could understand the bastmen enjoying 20/20 cricket. Come out and try hit as many sixes as you can, if you get it well whatever, there's gonna be another game 2 days down the track.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
having played 20-20 a few times now, clearly it favours the batsman, as illustrated by the fact that the batsman less responsibility upon his shoulders. if he goes out, then it matters much less because there are only 20 overs for the team to last. the bowler is under greater stress, as he has no chance to work batsman out.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Today's game between the WI and Australia is a perfect example, particularly the battle between Gillespie and Gayle. Gayle smashing something like 14 off Gillespie's first over, including a 6 followed by a 4. Next over Gillespie comes around the wicket and bowls a maiden by tightening him for room. The following over he clean bowls Gayle after frustrating him. That is cricket! And that's only in the shorter version of the game.

In Twenty20 cricket Gillespie would have only bowled 2 overs before leaving the attack.

twctopcat

International Regular
They should give the bowlers pre-shined bowls that are reverse swinging for the 20 over stints, that would even things up. Yorker central!

Scaly piscine

Jono said:
Today's game between the WI and Australia is a perfect example, particularly the battle between Gillespie and Gayle. Gayle smashing something like 14 off Gillespie's first over, including a 6 followed by a 4. Next over Gillespie comes around the wicket and bowls a maiden by tightening him for room. The following over he clean bowls Gayle after frustrating him. That is cricket! And that's only in the shorter version of the game.

In Twenty20 cricket Gillespie would have only bowled 2 overs before leaving the attack.
Rubbish, you'll see most bowlers bowling straight through their 4 overs.