• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick out of Ashes

PhoenixFire

International Coach
He is a tool imo. He tried to pick and choose which series he wanted to play in and it's backfired completely. He's either fit to play for England or not. He's left one tour before and suffered a recurrence, so I don't know why he should have thought it'd just completely disappear completely over the course of the Champions Trophy. Him and the England management should have known better, therefore they're all tools.
Basically I got the impression that he meant to say that he didn't really want to play in the Ashes, but if that's not what you meant, then I apologise.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
steds said:
I know about Bipolar disorder and know what it does. My Grandad suffers from it. His mother and sister both also had it and both took their own lives. Anyone who has bipolar or clinical depression or anything else like that has my deepest sympathies and best wishes.
But Trescothick has not said that he has either of those. Instead of saying "Look, this is what I've got and I need to take some considerable time away from cricket while I get myself sorted out in some way" (although a condition like that is impossible to get rid of totally), which I think would have been the right course of action for him, he's hidden it and pretty much said "I'm not telling you why, but I'm going to sit out the odd tournament then come back pretending everything's perfect when it's clearly not and I'll have to go home midway through yet another tour."
Perhaps he's finding it difficult to come to terms with and decided to do the stiff upper lip job and plug on, hoping to play his way out of the problem, and failed. Nobody is perfect and given some of the attitudes around sport, and on this thread too actually, it's not surprising he might have tried to "be a man" about it.

I say hard cheese Tres, and carry on lads.

And really, looking at his form it might be a blessing in disguise as far as the cricket is concerned.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
Basically I got the impression that he meant to say that he didn't really want to play in the Ashes, but if that's not what you meant, then I apologise.
he was saying he didn't want to play in the CT but did want to play in the Ashes, ie picking and choosing.

Regardless his condition has meant he is unable to do this.

The management and/or his shrink must take some blame for this, as surely there was an assessment carried out before the tour as to his ability to get through it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
So you think he doesn't want to play in the Ashes. Doesn't take a genius to see who the real tool is.......
He wants to play but not against Australia or in India or against any team where the prospect of failure is more than likely. When do we next play Bangladesh?

Before last week games, Trescothick came out to say his now mentality alright and looking forward to the battle. Two failures later and suddenly the problem has arisen again. Sympathises with the guy but his dicked a few people around. Wish him the best of luck in getting back to 'health' though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
And really, looking at his form it might be a blessing in disguise as far as the cricket is concerned.
For sure rather have Cook opening anyhow, means he will avoid Warne (for longer) which can only be of benefit. Though having Ian Bell came in at three and the prospect of him offering the slips some catching practice is not that appealing.

Woodster

International Captain
You can't blame him going home now because of 2 tour match failures!!
Think he's had a worse run in his career than 2 bad innings, that weren't even in Test matches!

It appears he obviously thought he was over it, has realised he isn't. He is mentally ill and I feel sorry for him.

Purely on a selfish England team point of view, no it isn't ideal having someone as experienced as he is leaving the trip with only one Tour game left, but think Tres will be feeling worse than anyone. It is a blow.

Whats done is done, he isn't well and has gone home ,now England have to decide who comes and joins the squad. For me Rob Key is the man they should call up, already we know the inexperience in the squad, would do no harm to have someone thats played in Oz before from the back-up squad.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Woodster said:
You can't blame him going home now because of 2 tour match failures!!
Think he's had a worse run in his career than 2 bad innings, that weren't even in Test matches!

It appears he obviously thought he was over it, has realised he isn't. He is mentally ill and I feel sorry for him.

Purely on a selfish England team point of view, no it isn't ideal having someone as experienced as he is leaving the trip with only one Tour game left, but think Tres will be feeling worse than anyone. It is a blow.

Whats done is done, he isn't well and has gone home ,now England have to decide who comes and joins the squad. For me Rob Key is the man they should call up, already we know the inexperience in the squad, would do no harm to have someone thats played in Oz before from the back-up squad.
I like Rob Key seems like a good guy but as an international cricketer no way, McGrath would size him and his off stump weakness up in two shakes. And then the slips or his off stump would be brought into the equation. People can say his got good experience in playing in Australia, yeah he may have but it wasn't a particularly good one, was it now?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
TT Boy said:
I like Rob Key seems like a good guy but as an international cricketer no way, McGrath would size him and his off stump weakness up in two shakes. And then the slips or his off stump would be brought into the equation. People can say his got good experience in playing in Australia, yeah he may have but it wasn't a particularly good one, was it now?
Hear, hear. I think Shah has got technique enough to cope in Australian conditions against top class bowling. Give him the chance he deserves after a superb debut.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
Ramprakash? :ph34r:

Topped the averages on his last tour & had a decent-ish year....
In Division Two at the Oval.

Can't we recall Hick, Cork, Caddick and Gough while we're at it? Let's just pick the side that went 0-4 down on the last tour...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Ramprakash? :ph34r:

Topped the averages on his last tour & had a decent-ish year....
I mentioned him & Butcher as possible replacements but if i were to pick one i'd go Butcher since has has runs vs Australia in Australia plus he had a good season with the bat. I don't think the likes of Shah, Joyce or Key if another injury occured would make runs, i'd rather Vaughan back than them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:

Can't we recall Hick, Cork, Caddick and Gough while we're at it? Let's just pick the side that went 0-4 down on the last tour...
Ramps is otherwise engaged this winter anyway ;) :

tooextracool

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
You can't argue with runs.
its quite astonishing really. He scored 2278 runs last season at an average of 103.78. In 4 seasons before that he averaged 75,65,76 and 57 with 31 100s during that period. I dont think theres anyone in world cricket at the moment whos ever had a period like that, its the sort of performances that even Bradman would marvel at. In the unlikely scenario that the selectors did pick him, i for one would say that he deserved it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Samuel_Vimes said:

Hey, we won a Test

Woodster

International Captain
It may not have been a particularly good one, that doesn't necessarily mean you never pick a player again for a tour to that country! When he played Australia he was appearing in his 3rd Test, quite a tall order for someone in their Test infancy playing an Ashes game in Australia, with very much an inferior side!

In my opinion I think maybe he deserves another chance, after all he averages in excess of 40 when batting at number 3 for England. (that isnt to say I'd have him in the starting XI)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Barney Rubble said:
:blink: :unsure:

Yes, clearly his affliction by what's clearly a very damaging mental and/or physical illness is his own fault.
Stress related illness? What he volunteers in Iraq in between the English tours? Either you're in or you're out. Constant cherry picking reeks of complete toolness. You cause harm to the side. Plus he was good to go and then two failures later, it magically resurfaced again?

Your stress went away until the Aussies found you out? Please.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
silentstriker said:
Stress related illness? What he volunteers in Iraq in between the English tours? Either you're in or you're out. Constant cherry picking reeks of complete toolness.
Nah. That's way harsh. Firstly he's under a lot of pressure to tour, both internal & external; secondly if you were recovering from an illness wouldn't you rather play in The Ashes than the CT?