• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trescothick out of Ashes

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
Bloody hell.

I hope he recovers soon. Gotta be clinical depression.

On a more trivial level, this will screw up a few of our Ashes predictions.
Yeah I've already had to go and review it.

Cheers Tres! 8-)

:)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, shattering stuff that. Wish Tres all the best, its obviously not "India related" now.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Shame, makes England a lot less competitive in my book.. Wonder if its a Harmison like adversion to touring, and will he play at home for Somerset next year?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Better now than in a week's time, but it still leaves us with one very inexperienced batting lineup. It wasn't so long ago that our 1st choice top 5 were Tres, Vaughan, Butcher, Hussain & Thorpe - now all unavailable or gone. In fact none of our top 7 at Brisbane will have played a test in Aus previously. You almost get the feeling that we're building for the 2009 Ashes rather than seriously competing for this one.

As for Tres, I can't see him coming back now. I know some people are making comparisons with Thorpe when his marriage broke up, but that was one specific situation, not what now seems to be some sort of mental illness. All the best Marcus, you've been a rock, but it looks like it's all over now.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Having a lot of experienced batters didn't particularly help in the past, and Mick had a purple patch there last time really anyway, I doubt many would have been expecting hundred after hundred again.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Having a lot of experienced batters didn't particularly help in the past, and Mick had a purple patch there last time really anyway, I doubt many would have been expecting hundred after hundred again.
No, given his form over the last few years I wouldn't expect Vaughan to score more than Cook in this series. And I take your point about our experiences in the 1990's and 2002/03. However, there's no successful Ashes sides that I can think of as inexperienced as this one is rapidly becoming. Maybe someone will do a Chris Broad and hit 3 tons in the series, but we look horribly overdependent on Strauss & KP.

It might throw them together like we saw at the end of the India tour, but I still reckon we're probably preparing for next time now. If this doesn't finish them, it will make our young batters stronger. All we'll need is to find a keeper and a couple of opening bowlers.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Mister Wright said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Vaughan pads up for Brisbane.
I still seriously doubt we'll see Vaughan in this series at all and definately not at Brisbane.

I feel sorry for Tres and hope he can make a full recovery, at his best he's such a destructive opener.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Vaughan pads up for Brisbane.
There's more chance of seeing Rob Key at some stage of the series. btw does anyone know which other batters are in the reserve squad?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
wpdavid said:
There's more chance of seeing Rob Key at some stage of the series. btw does anyone know which other batters are in the reserve squad?
Joyce
Shah
Key
Dalrymple
Bopara
Prior
Yardy
Davies (wk)
(Clarke)

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Well at least he's had the sense to do it now, before the Tests started...at his best he'd be a loss but he's generally been poor outside England and the subcontinent (2005 in SA apart) probably 3, 4, 5 will be Bell, KP and Collingwood....hopefully they'l pick Shah as a replacement...IMO a classier batsman then Key or Joyce.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Can't say I'm surprised and its not the biggest of blows considering Trescothick's form of late, minus the comeback ton (last summer) his not looked impressive at all. Cook is more than an adequate replacement anyhow as opener. Only problem is it means Collingwood is now guaranteed to play.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
silentstriker said:
What a tool.

Well, I think Cook might impress at the top of the order, actually.
:blink: :unsure:

Yes, clearly his affliction by what's clearly a very damaging mental and/or physical illness is his own fault.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
He is a tool imo. He tried to pick and choose which series he wanted to play in and it's backfired completely. He's either fit to play for England or not. He's left one tour before and suffered a recurrence, so I don't know why he should have thought it'd just completely disappear completely over the course of the Champions Trophy. Him and the England management should have known better, therefore they're all tools.