• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tour de France

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Obviously I'll cop the wrath of many for saying this, but how is this sport still taken seriously?

The talk about sportsmanship with regards to what Wiggins did was all well and good, but surely the sportsmanship in this sport that needs to be stressed is the act of not taking performance enhancing drugs? Littered with stories every bloody year.

Tacks on the road the least of its problems.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really is amazing how dumb this is. Frank wasn't winning the tour, he wasn't being allowed to get into a breakway, he was stuck in a ****ty position. He should have just accepted it. Instead he's now pissed away two years of his career

Spikey

Talk about Wiggins' sportsmanship a bit over the top, he would have been torn limb from limb if he didn't slow down. He had to, for the sake of his tour.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Obviously I'll cop the wrath of many for saying this, but how is this sport still taken seriously?

The talk about sportsmanship with regards to what Wiggins did was all well and good, but surely the sportsmanship in this sport that needs to be stressed is the act of not taking performance enhancing drugs? Littered with stories every bloody year.

Tacks on the road the least of its problems.
Playing devil's advocate slightly here, but I could imagine cycling tragics asking the same question of cricket with its match/spot fixing scandals.

I'm not much of a cycling fan (admire the heterosexuality of the riders, cause it must ****ing kill but wouldn't ever go out of my way to watch it), but it as at least trying to put its house in order.

If/when Armstrong finally gets his (life, presumably) ban it'll make a big statement. He's still the sport's biggest name and has basically been the shop steward for drug use on the Tour. Allegedly, etc.

Spikey

To an extent, I don't think cycling fans are too bothered about slight drug use, just as long as it doesn't turn the race into a farce, like Armstrong's team during his time, and now what this Sky team looks capable of doing

uvelocity

International Coach
I love watching tdf, not an expert and I don't really care who wins, don't even care if they are on drugs, even doped its still a mammoth effort to ride it.

Definitely want it to be clean, but would watch regardless.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Playing devil's advocate slightly here, but I could imagine cycling tragics asking the same question of cricket with its match/spot fixing scandals.

I'm not much of a cycling fan (admire the heterosexuality of the riders, cause it must ****ing kill but wouldn't ever go out of my way to watch it), but it as at least trying to put its house in order.

If/when Armstrong finally gets his (life, presumably) ban it'll make a big statement. He's still the sport's biggest name and has basically been the shop steward for drug use on the Tour. Allegedly, etc.
The mates that I have that love the cycling just accept its littered with drugs and don't give a ****. To paraphrase one of my mates:

"Why would I watch some regular human schmucks slowly ride up mountains? But drugged up guys riding the house down, now that's entertaining"

EDIT: I see uvelocity is of a similar view.

Bobisback

International Regular
A great man once said:

"I think pro-athletes should be forced to use steroids. I think we as fans deserve the greatest athletes science can create! Lets go! Anything that will make you run faster, jump higher! I have High-Definition TV! I want my athletes like my video games! Lets go! I could care less if you die at 40. You hate life after sports anyways. I'm doing you a favor."

Couldnt agree more. I dont care if these blokes are on drugs, there is no sporting event i look forward to more every year. Sprint stages are always amazing at the end, all of the tactics involved in the lead outs. The mountain stages are even better, with all the people with no GC thoughts throwing everything at winning at stage, and then you have all of the GC riders who attack and defend all the way up every mountain. The stage the other day where the group got together near the end and you had Vinokourov and Albasini breakaway, had all of the peleton chasing, then they were caught and Luis Leon Sanchez and someone else broke away and Wiggins lead Edvald Bosen Hagan over the gap. Now that was exciting.

I can see why people who have never watched it think its boring, and think that drugs ruin it etc. But I would think that the majority of sports watching normal men would love it if they gave it a chance.

Bobisback

International Regular
Also, did I see Sagan still in the Peleton? Have had a few bourbons but pretty sure I saw him in there when they went over the Tourmalet.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another advantage of taking steroids for these boys is that they end up with less penis and testicle to squash.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Also, did I see Sagan still in the Peleton? Have had a few bourbons but pretty sure I saw him in there when they went over the Tourmalet.
Probably, the bloke is ****ing ridiculous. Could see him being potentially a decent GC rider at some point in his career if he wants to. Bloke is like 22 or something FFS. Will win every one day classic in the book if he wants.

benchmark00

I remember the late, great Craigos was adamant that Armstrong was on drugs long before it became 'public knowledge'. May just turn out that he was right.