• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Totalitarianism gone mad AKA the China thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact it’s taken this long for one of the usual brain-dead suspects to try that particular phrase on me as part of the hackneyed ageist joke I’m constantly subject to is the biggest surprise to me since men started wearing ear rings when I was a young bloke.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry Hendrix. I'll limit my discussion to polygamy if you'd prefer.

I'm confused as to what the protesters are trying to achieve by continuing on with this. It's a **** situation with people getting hurt, but I do not see the sense in what they've done in particular at the university. The law about which they were initially worried has, as I understand it, been revoked. HK has had what I suppose is a unique place in China. As I understand it, they get a vote wrt their local reps and conduct their businesses in what remains an essentially market based system. I understand people are rightly scared and angered by the Chinese Communists because they're vicious and horrendous. Why you would decide to poke that particular bear on an ongoing basis when you otherwise enjoy freedoms which other citizens of China could only dream of is something I am struggling to understand.

As for the posts that the HK protests are the start of what will be the death of western democracy because of Chinese influence and coercion, it's just not something I agree with at all. If my saying that's a bad take offends you, then I really don't give a ****.
I am also of the opinion that Hong Kong stands 0 chance in maintaining any sense of democracy over the coming years. But at the same time I'm not going to sit here and poke fun at the last gasps of the public who really care about some basic freedoms.

The situation is tragic but inevitable. I find your posts somewhat cruel-spirited.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The fact it’s taken this long for one of the usual brain-dead suspects to try that particular phrase on me as part of the hackneyed ageist joke I’m constantly subject to is the biggest surprise to me since men started wearing ear rings when I was a young bloke.
“Nerds are awful” - Burgey the Lego King Boomer

Burgey

Obviously we all hope Athlai never procreates, and given he's never had a root he hasn't paid for that's unlikely. But if he did and his child referred to him as the Lego King, I can assure everyone it would be a great parenting moment for him.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Obviously we all hope Athlai never procreates, and given he's never had a root he hasn't paid for that's unlikely. But if he did and his child referred to him as the Lego King, I can assure everyone it would be a great parenting moment for him.
Yikes

Flem274*

123/5
the best part is that attempted zinger ends with something you would completely agree with

'lego is for nerds, and being a nerd is great!'
'lego is not for nerds, and being a nerd is bad'
'you build lego therefore are a nerd'
'shut up nerd, you wish you could be called the lego king'

Burgey

Go to bed Flem, it’s plainly past your bed time.

Being called the Lego King by your five year old is awesome. It’s awesome because it’s something you do with your kid when they’re young. Why this is a difficult concept for people to understand is quite beyond me. Has there been a mass cerebral event across the Tasman of which I have not been informed?

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
im not sure if you genuinely don't get it or if you've chosen this hill to die for

you're not even on the right hill

Daemon

This should be arbitrated by TheJediBrah imo. Resident expert on Alpha/Beta should have some good insight on the Cool/Nerd debate as well.

Burgey

im not sure if you genuinely don't get it or if you've chosen this hill to die for

you're not even on the right hill
I’ll just happily spend some time building it with my kid like we used to when he was in primary school. What you or the other imbo think of that, I really don’t care.

Edit: other Imbos - I see daemon has commented too

smalishah84

The Tiger King
yeah, reports coming out of Iran are not looking good. Killed in the hundreds and wounded might be in the thousands :(

Spark

Global Moderator
yeah, reports coming out of Iran are not looking good. Killed in the hundreds and wounded might be in the thousands :(
From what I'm hearing, might want to add an order of magnitude to those figures. Really sounds like indiscriminate mass slaughter is the order of the day there.