• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Indian Test Batsmen

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting Mankad getting a mention at all. I know, two double tons, but averages early 30s from plenty of tests. Clearly not super consistent

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Interesting Mankad getting a mention at all. I know, two double tons, but averages early 30s from plenty of tests. Clearly not super consistent
He got mentioned once or twice. He should be there as an overall cricketer, though hard to see a good case as a batsman alone.

Jack1

International Debutant
I think if you're such a colossal dickhead that the selectors refuse to pick you despite you clearly having a ****load of natural talent and absolutely justifying Test selection on output, that should absolutely factor in to how you're ultimately rated as a batsman.
I don't. Pietersen was a dickhead, but probably England's ATG cross format batsman. Actually, not probably. More like definitely.

Mankad's average is dreadful lol

ma1978

International 12th Man
Kambli wasn't just dropped because he was a pain in the ass. He was a terrible batsman outside of Indian roads. He hit two double centuries which inflated his average but did nothing else of note.

And after 1996, the Indian middle order was Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Azhar (and later VVS). There was no room for him on playing grounds.

On reflection, Amarnath who is a fine player is not top 10.

10th slot for me some mix of Vengsakar / Umrigar / Azhar. This may be my 80s / 90s nostalgia but before the match fixing, Azhar was a superstar. A 45 average and 22 centuries in 99 tests in that era is no joke. And some damn fine centuries in England and South Africa. What a waste of talent.

Jack1

International Debutant
Kambli wasn't just dropped because he was a pain in the ass. He was a terrible batsman outside of Indian roads. He hit two double centuries which inflated his average but did nothing else of note.

And after 1996, the Indian middle order was Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Azhar (and later VVS). There was no room for him on playing grounds.

On reflection, Amarnath who is a fine player is not top 10.

10th slot for me some mix of Vengsakar / Umrigar / Azhar. This may be my 80s / 90s nostalgia but before the match fixing, Azhar was a superstar. A 45 average and 22 centuries in 99 tests in that era is no joke. And some damn fine centuries in England and South Africa. What a waste of talent.
He barely got a run in the side. He was treated like England used to treat test debutants once he had a dip in form. That was unfair in my view. He was not given a chance to work things out to the point he is India's highest average in test cricket still, which is a bit silly in my opinion.