• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Too old to start playing competitive cricket?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Far out, I thought that I was leaving it late starting grade cricket at 27. I'm just starting grade this season.

Truth be told, had I not given up playing cricket when I was fifteen I think I could have made first grade/state level as a legspinner. But I got fed up with the game when I saw a guy from my team who did not bowl spin weekly get selected as the regional spinner when I had been taking piles of wickets. I also at that age got a Saturday job, which killed it.

You have heaps of time left if you're 17. You just need to put in more practice to get yourself to your potential faster.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I think it depends on what you want to do....For becoming a geniune fast bowler..it may be just a touch late but still not "too" late....for all other areas..you are no where close to being old....go for it...and remember....dream big...always.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I had to quit at 15 when I got a weekend job. A mate from work was playing for a local club side and asked if I wanted to join so I got back in at 26. We weren't playing for sheep stations but it was competitive enough. Got my one and only hundred at 27 and played until I was 30. Kids came along and I needed more weekend time at home. I was also getting injured fairly easily which made the decision easier.

It's never to old to get back into it. Just have fun.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah, last played outdoor cricket when I was 17. Made a return 4 weeks ago to club cricket at 25 (admittedly at a low level, but proper organised club cricket all the same).

Only ever made 50 once in my 10 year cricket career from ages 7-17, have strung together back to back 49s (I know, FFS! But still....my second equal highest scores ever). Also never hit a 6, EVER, and have hit a couple of biggies since coming back.

Also took 3-for on return, and have picked up wickets and bowled my full compliment of overs in the last couple of weeks.

I was really apprehensive about playing "serious" cricket again, I guess the key is finding a grade at the right level. If I'd come back in at a higher level I probably would've been put off.

Phantom

Banned
I played with a guy who was 30 when he started. He'd never played any junior cricket, and then he made himself into an effective bludgenor. He made consectutive hundreds for us. The stuff of legends

Phantom

Banned
Good bloke too, loves his cricket, which is the most important part. A lot of people quit when they reach adulthood then come back later which is cool too.