• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig RIP

abmk

State 12th Man
Sad , shocking news ......

Always loved the enthusiasm in his commentary even if I didn't always agree with his opinions ....... Can't believe won't ever hear that voice on a cricket field live again !

Also a fine, very under-rated cricketer for England .

An immense contributor to the world of cricket in many ways ...

R.I.P Tony Greig

stumpski

International Captain
Heard this on the BBC News at 5 this morning. The news was breaking just as they went on air. The newsreader Adnan Nawaz was visibly shocked and moved, and talked about Greig and his career in a way that was clear he wasn't reading off an autocue.You don't see that very often.

The authorities in England took a long time to forgive him for his role in recruiting for Packer, but reconciliation did come eventually - he was the speaker at the Spirit of Cricket lecture a few years ago wasn't he.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't believe it. Such a shock. Hearing him commentate for all your cricket watching life and you start taking it for granted and now I won't be able to hear him ever again. :(

RIP
This really hits home with me. Have really taken for granted simply hearing his voice whilst watching the cricket, whatever I've thought of what he's said. To not be hearing this voice anymore will be so so sad. RIP.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh wow, this really hits me hard. RIP Tony, a wonderful man who has done great service to the cricketing world. He will be missed.

howardj

International Coach
Big in every way

A big man

A big, engaging personality

A big part of the cricketing furniture

A big heart

howardj

International Coach
OK, 24 hours have passed...

It would be fair to say that he loved the game on a broad level, but didnt seem to follow it

Was as though he only followed Channel Nine games

He wasn't at all analytical either - more of a describer; seemed to go through the motions

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
OK, 24 hours have passed...

It would be fair to say that he loved the game on a broad level, but didnt seem to follow it

Was as though he only followed Channel Nine games

He wasn't at all analytical either - more of a describer; seemed to go through the motions
Watched but didnt follow

Just my opinion
I disagree, and I'm not saying this just because Tony died a few days ago as there is plenty that Tony did that I did not like or that I was willing to criticise him about. But on the whole he was a huge follower of cricket, commentated a lot on foreign tours and would often be the person in the C9 commentary box to talk about a foreign player that Lawry or Healy clearly had no idea about. Its no coincidence he was given the Cowdrey lecture (and again, didn't agree with every single thing he said in it), because he knew what is happening around the world in cricket.

In the C9 box only Ian Chappell watched as much as him I reckon. Benaud back in his day as well of course.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the C9 box only Ian Chappell watched as much as him I reckon. Benaud back in his day as well of course.
And Nicholas. I think those two will be the only guys who actually commentate (& hence, watch) overseas games now.