• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig RIP

shortofalength

Cricket Spectator
Recently my son played against Tony Greig's boy in a game in Sydney. Tony had recently been diagnosed with cancer but still attended the game. He was friendly and approachable taking time to speak with the parents of both sides. My son got some runs and at the end of the game Tony came over and in front of his team mates shook my son's hand, congratulated him on his innings and took some time to talk to him abut his game. My son could not wipe the smile from his face later saying to me ,"Dad I shook the hand of an England captain." My thoughts are with his family especially Tom..Vale Tony...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Recently my son played against Tony Greig's boy in a game in Sydney. Tony had recently been diagnosed with cancer but still attended the game. He was friendly and approachable taking time to speak with the parents of both sides. My son got some runs and at the end of the game Tony came over and in front of his team mates shook my son's hand, congratulated him on his innings and took some time to talk to him abut his game. My son could not wipe the smile from his face later saying to me ,"Dad I shook the hand of an England captain." My thoughts are with his family especially Tom..Vale Tony...
:(:(:(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is such awful news. So sad, and so sudden.

RIP Greigy :(

How was the C9 special?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Class.

burr

State Vice-Captain
He was a genuine cricket lover, and it's nice to see in memoriam, that cricket loved him back. The game celebrates and remembers those who contributed to it as a true global community. It's one of many things that makes this sport unique. RIP Tony.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I should know the answer to this, but where did his allegiances lie as between the national teams of England, South Africa, Australia and the rest?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is such awful news. So sad, and so sudden.

RIP Greigy :(

How was the C9 special?
I thought it was very stilted actually. Wasn't that fussed on it. I don't want to sound critical, because it was a nice gesture, but whatever else you think of Nine they generally put such things together well. I'm hoping they do something more substantial during the Sydney test. Sure they will.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Great anecdote, sounds like he was a genuine good bloke.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Wow...you grow up hearing someones' voice for hours on end...its sad even when they retire. RIP Tony.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Tony Greig @ greigtalks said:
Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year to you all. Would love to be at Test but son Tom and I will be tuned in?
Tweeted four days ago. Breaks the heart.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Can't believe it. Such a shock. Hearing him commentate for all your cricket watching life and you start taking it for granted and now I won't be able to hear him ever again. :(

RIP

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

You could always feel the warmth and joy from his voice.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So sad and sudden. RIP

I heard rumours that he would be back commentating for the back end of the SL series as well.

:( :( :(

bagapath

International Captain
What a Guy! My respects to Tony.

And my best wishes to your son.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Terrible news, I couldn't believe it when someone told me this today as I was watching local cricket. Like many others, I didn't expect the end to come so quickly.

The cor has been porked in the grudge for the last time.

R.I.P Tony.