• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tony Greig RIP

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Just such a big part of the background noise as I grew up.

Only realised recently how much I like Richie, Bill, Chappelli and Tony.

RIP.

****ing good cricketer too.

Dulux Weather Wall....player comfort....humidity....key test....

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
RIP. Will miss his commentary which was an essential part of watching cricket in childhood.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I can't believe it. He's far too young - it seems like I was only listening to him the other day. Always loved his enthusiasm and that voice.

RIP
hord and forst

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Now might not be the time to be a pedant, but any chance a mod could correct the spelling of Greig in the thread title?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad news. Just a voice of summer.

Jeez, really grew up watching then listening to him every summer. He was the quintessential man Aussies loved to hate from the time he scored that hundred in 74-75 in Brisbane against Lillee and Thommo.

After his career he used to do the old pitch reports and weather wall at the start of play. He used to do Lion insurance ads and I remember being at the cricket as a kid and him walking out to do a pitch report with some mug punter yelling out "Hey Greig, get the ****ing Lion on the line".

He was really brash and had a real swagger to him as a player and backed himself. As a commentator I admit he used to grate me at times, but he knew the game backwards, and he really embraced the subcontinental sides enthusiastically on australian tv.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh man. And Bill Lawry to commentate his last match next week, will be a much more cringeworthy commentary team next summer, whichever channel shows the cricket, that is.
I thought Bill decided he wasn't retiring after all.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Now might also not be the right time, but Greig's death led the sports bulletin on 3 News here, and they used one of robelinda's videos off Youtube, as you could see his name in big yellow writing in the top lefthand corner....

Solid, rob, solid.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So sad. Devastating news, he did so much for Cricket and the whole sport will be poorer for his loss.

Genuinely looking forward to the tributes that he receives at the Sydney Test.