• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To those going to the charity match

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Galactic_Soap said:
Its like their first line of defence, they seem to think that a lack of control of the english language gives them the ability to insult people based on race, creed, or color, its disgusting.

I haven't missed an SCG test since I arrived from South Africa in 1997, I attend the test match because I, like the rest of you, love cricket, the contest and all the little qirks that come with it, but last year, I sat behind the Indians, but not in the Indian section. The abuse these poor people had to sit through made my stomach turn, and this is after living in apartheid riden South Africa for 17 years. I've attended matches at Centurion and at the Wanderes never had I seen anything like I saw last year at the SCG, as a cricket fan it was disheartening, as a human being it was truelly depressing.

Cheers
Soapy
Might find that the English language demands a "u" to follow a "q", then. :p
Don't take that the wrong way, tho. :) :D

Galactic_Soap

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
lol, Indeed. When it comes to English, I'm all over the place, Sri Lankan by blood, born and bred in South Africa and now living in Australia, I have a birth right to be misinterpreted. :P

On a side note, I'd love to have a read of that article, if you do manage to track it down feel free to send it my way:
asiri.senaratne@ge.com

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've had a quick Google search - nothing.
The guy's name is Rishva Weliweta, if that means anything to anyone.

biased indian

International Coach
Warne is god said:
As you know Murali has been picked to play in the charity match next monday at the MCG. Many of us, myself included, regularly abuse him and were looking foward to his return to the G so that we could abuse him some more. However given the circumstances of this match and what he and his country have been through I think it is right that no-one calls Murali a chucker or boos him during this match. If we can control ourselves for one game then the cricketing world will think better of us.
so if it was any other time u could Abuse him. that says a lot about u

Slow Love™

International Captain
Warne is god said:
As you know Murali has been picked to play in the charity match next monday at the MCG. Many of us, myself included, regularly abuse him and were looking foward to his return to the G so that we could abuse him some more. However given the circumstances of this match and what he and his country have been through I think it is right that no-one calls Murali a chucker or boos him during this match. If we can control ourselves for one game then the cricketing world will think better of us.
I guess there's something to be said for your plea, but you have to realize that the vast bulk (if not all) of the kind of people you're appealing to are bonafide dìckheads, and will likely go right ahead with the abuse when Murali comes on. If you find this distasteful, it's called "reaping what you sow".

I just hope it won't be too loud, so I won't have to cringe too hard in embarassment.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Retox said:
Or they complain about the pitches in India then NZ comes and says Aussie has changed the pitch 3 times for the last ODI and they get a all mightly raping by the press.
The rain forced the brisbane curator to make changes to the pitch, so the press lambasted the NZ coach for being a fool. Furthermore It is not aussie practise to change the pitches to suit the team. Look at what happened when the indians came, they were slow and had minimal bounce.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Australia prepare pitches to suit themselves all the time.
Everyone uses home advantage - and quite rightly too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep - they had every reason to think these pitches would suit themselves better than the Indians.
Indeed, but for their inept catching and the injuries to McGrath and Gillespie and the suspension of Warne, probably they'd have been proven right, too.
Oh, and one more thing - you should learn the difference between "all the time" and "every time" - they are not one and the same. "All the time" simply means "often".

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
That still doesn't take away from the fact that pitches that suit australia are fast and bouncy. Especially so since Lee became the strike bowler with Mcgrath and Warne out and Gillespie injured. Lee is hopeless on slow and low pitches as was subsequently proven. So how then would the aussies have every reason to think the pitches would suit them?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most pitches suit Australia - about the only ones that don't are rank-turners, and even that's only if they're playing Sri Lanka or India.
Other than that, a pitch that doesn't suit Australia best is an extreme rarity.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Also, there was no test match played in Perth which almost always garauntees aus a victory, particularly against teams from subcont.

So i think Australia are justfied in criticising pitches like the one in mumbai and are not being hypocrites when doing so.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Despite the fact that they always use home-advantage (not that they need to - because as I say preparing conditions which give you the best chance of winning ain't easy)?

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Always use hometown advantage eh?

As i have been saying there was no test match in perth, and the wickets that were produced were totally unsuitable for our team. No it is not a fact.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They would have been perfectly suitable if your team had caught better, and had it's top 3 bowlers at the top of their games.
So what that there was no WACA Test? If there had been, with the same attack and the same inept fielding unit the match'd probably have been drawn anyway.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
A perth match would have garuanteed that the aus attack played in conditions perfectly suited to them, particularly as lee was our strike bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And the rather ruthless way Lee was torn to pieces, and has been for most of the last 3-and-a-half years, suggests that the same thing would have happened there.
The Aus attack of last year had very few conditions suited to them! It's kinda tricky for Lee, Bracken, Williams and MacGill to bowl well at all.