• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TitanCup1996:Anil Kumble & Srinath's knock helps India pull off a improbable victory

PramodMn

Cricket Spectator
TitanCup1996:Anil Kumble & Srinath's knock helps India pull off a improbable victory

It was the third ODI of Titan Cup. The match was held in Bengaluru. Australia playing first manages to score 215 for the loss of 7 wickets all thanks to the century by Mark Taylor.

Chasing down the score India lost quick wickets apart from the One-Man show of Sachin Tendulkar. Ganguly , Azharuddin ,Dravid got out in single digits. Australia thought it has hammered final nail down the coffin by dismissing Sachin Tendulkar for 88 and India at 164/8 for 42.1 overs. India still required 53 runs from 46 balls.

Entered Local boys Anil Kumble and Javagal Srinath, both played a once in a Lifetime knock helping India chase and win the match with 7 balls sparing. Srinath scored 30 runs with help of 2 fours and a six and Kumble scored 16 runs with a help of a four. Both Srinath & Kumble's mothers where present at the Stadium , watching the match.. What a moment that might have been to them?

Video:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I recall watching this game like it was yesterday. Memories!

Actually I remember all Titan cup wins (2 against Aus and 1 against SA in final). Don't recall much about the 3 games that India lost to SA.

PramodMn

Cricket Spectator
This must have been the most embarrassing series for Australia, They couldn't manage to win a single game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They beat India once.. Slater came in at 6 or something and played a great finisher's knock.. 50 off 30 or something equally ridiculous. Not too many boundaries either.. Ran briliantly between the wickets and hardly played a dot ball. May have been a lost finisher for Australia in that era. I honestly felt instead of Martyn at 7, they should have had Slater there in the 1998 tri series.

PramodMn

Cricket Spectator
In 1996 Titan Cup, Australia didn't win a single game, there was a game which got abandoned against India and it lost all remaining 5 games(3 against SA and 2 against India)

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
They beat India once.. Slater came in at 6 or something and played a great finisher's knock.. 50 off 30 or something equally ridiculous. Not too many boundaries either.. Ran briliantly between the wickets and hardly played a dot ball. May have been a lost finisher for Australia in that era. I honestly felt instead of Martyn at 7, they should have had Slater there in the 1998 tri series.
No.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/scores/series/8552/season/1996/titan-cup?view=results

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah.. this is the game I was talking about. Forgot they lost. He made a 50 in the previous game too batting at 6. Definitely recall why I felt he was a lost talent for Australia.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ankit.. chk my previous post. I got the result of the game wrong, but Slater did play well. SR of almost 140 when the next best was around 100, and a game they could have won.. Lost by 5 runs with 5 balls remaining or whatever. If Slater had won them that game, I am guessing he may have had a longer ODI career as a #6.

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah this one was a classic. Was a schoolkid in Bangalore at the time, and remember being extremely cross about not being allowed to buy tickets even though it was a holiday - it was Saraswathi Puja that day IIRC. Kumble and Sri's mothers aside, the crowd definitely didn't cover themselves in glory that day. 6 Karnataka players in the XI thanks to Chairman GRV - wonder if that was some sort of a representation record at the time though Mumbai might possibly have had more at some stage.

Finally one game in which the lower order actually pulled their weight after Sachin did all the hard work. Though the rest of the batting was mighty unreliable at the time (early days of Dravid and Ganguly). Interestingly Srinath was genuinely improving his batting at the time, scored 53 batting up the order I think in one of the games India lost to SA.

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Yeah.. this is the game I was talking about. Forgot they lost. He made a 50 in the previous game too batting at 6. Definitely recall why I felt he was a lost talent for Australia.
He was dropped immediately after this tour because of that shot he played in the one-off test (c. Azharuddin b. Johnson) and replaced by Elliott for almost 2 years. Interestingly he was also overlooked as a one-day option despite these efforts.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he'd have had the same problems as Sehwag in the middle order. Not a flashy list a record either.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Viru is another interesting case. He started as a MO batsman who could bowl 10 overs of decent spin. If he continued that way, he might have done better than he ended up doing overall in his ODI career IMO. And Slater had attributes that help towards the finisher role more than Sehwag did. Mainly in terms of fitness and running between the wickets.