• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Time to sack George Bailey as Captain and player.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Probably gonna upset some people by saying this, but seriously.......how major is the thing really??

When Australia sit back and review their last 6 months results and performances with all that they have achieved.........does anyone honestly think that their performances in this tourny are going to factor too highly??

When Boof took over the reigns if you'd have offered him an Ashes win backed up by a win against the No 1 test side in the world but losing 3 straight in the T20 WC, I reckon the bloke would have bitten your arm off for it.
Just because the T20 WC isn't more important than the Ashes doesn't make it not important.

Yes Australia would rather tests wins vs. England and away to SA. They'd also rather those than winning the ODI World Cup next year. Does that make the WC not major as well?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono, have a look at the sports reporting since the start of the tourney

AFL, RL, Union, Football from around the globe were all being reported in detail before this tournament even got a mention

Channel 9 thought so little of it that they stuck it on Gem

Agree with it or not, Australians (fans not players) obviously don't take it very seriously

the big bambino

International Captain
Probably gonna upset some people by saying this, but seriously.......how major is the thing really??

When Australia sit back and review their last 6 months results and performances with all that they have achieved.........does anyone honestly think that their performances in this tourny are going to factor too highly??

When Boof took over the reigns if you'd have offered him an Ashes win backed up by a win against the No 1 test side in the world but losing 3 straight in the T20 WC, I reckon the bloke would have bitten your arm off for it.
If people are upset by this post they deserve to be. There is no way this tournament is going to wipe the smile off my face. There is not even a grain of disappointment to spoil the perfection of winning an ashes series so unexpectedly and comprehensively as well as beating the no.1 side in their paddock.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2 failed campaigns,and his batting not up to it.
Time for either Watson or White to take over with immediate effect.
Brockers, Watto can't remember to slide his foot back behind the line. How's he going to manage field settings and bowling changes?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
You can bet Brad Hodge is jumping around somewhere screaming "PICK ME, PICK ME". Only to claim systemic anti-Victorian bias when he's overlooked because he's a ****.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Just because the T20 WC isn't more important than the Ashes doesn't make it not important.

Yes Australia would rather tests wins vs. England and away to SA. They'd also rather those than winning the ODI World Cup next year. Does that make the WC not major as well?
Dunno about that last part.. Of course all Aussies and Poms rate the Ashes as the highest priority but the Aussies have a proud and very good record in the ODI WC.....not sure many would rank a 3 test series against the Saffers a higher priority than the ODI WC (especially at home)

Part of the problem with "significance" for the T20 WC is that they play it too bloody often.......make it every 4 years and more people might rate it more importantly.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Part of the problem with "significance" for the T20 WC is that they play it too bloody often.......make it every 4 years and more people might rate it more importantly.
At first I thought that, but now I don't. I agree it hurts the significance of it, but its the best run tournament the ICC do. By a long way. Its entertaining, it is over quickly unlike the ODI WC, and it makes money. 2 years every T20 WC is fine.

Limtied overs cricket isn't and should never be run to appease fans who like tests and don't care about limited overs. It would be a stupid decision to do so.

No one is saying that this is more important than the Ashes. No one. Pointing it out that Australia won the Ashes so who cares about this is just stating the obvious. Doesn't mean you don't try and improve your team. T20 isn't about playing with nicknames on your shirt and wearing afros to honour the 80s anymore.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
agree with Jono over here. Just beacuse Aus are a pretty mediocre T-20's side does not make this tournament unimportant.Seeing the likes of Steyn, Ajmal, Sanga, AB and Kohli being so pumped up shows that the top players do take this very seriously, in terms of importance I am certain that after the ODI WC this is the most valued limited overs tournament for these players.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If people are upset by this post they deserve to be. There is no way this tournament is going to wipe the smile off my face. There is not even a grain of disappointment to spoil the perfection of winning an ashes series so unexpectedly and comprehensively as well as beating the no.1 side in their paddock.
Yes, you won the Ashes. Yes, you won vs SA. Go and brag about it in the Ashes thread or in the general cricket chat forum. A T20 forum is not the place to brag about it.
But you can discuss about the humiliating loss that Australia suffered at the hands of India in the T20 world cup in this subforum..

the big bambino

International Captain
Yes, you won the Ashes. Yes, you won vs SA. Go and brag about it in the Ashes thread or in the general cricket chat forum. A T20 forum is not the place to brag about it.
But you can discuss about the humiliating loss that Australia suffered at the hands of India in the T20 world cup in this subforum..
It might make you feel better to blather your emotional incontinence to the world but in future can you keep it to yourself? Though I can understand why winning in SA must be a sore point for you. And who'd be such a loser as to feel humiliated bcos your team loses a match or series? Get a life bud.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It might make you feel better to blather your emotional incontinence to the world but in future can you keep it to yourself? Though I can understand why winning in SA must be a sore point for you. And who'd be such a loser as to feel humiliated bcos your team loses a match or series? Get a life bud.
I just felt the same as the bolded part for your previous post as well. :)
I don't know what you understood, but saying that Aus winning in SA is a sore point for me is hilarious. Actually, Australia is the second favourite team for me after India.

the big bambino

International Captain
(@CricAddict) Meaning that India have difficulty winning there...tbh I was surprised by your post. No gloating was intended. I was just expressing happiness. Especially since the summer's results were so unexpected. I'm uncomfortable that someone could read bragging in what I said. I somehow feel its important to tell you that isn't what I think at all.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
in the end, i think we can blame the selectors picking on bbl form.
Other than a few posters on here, lot of hindsight kings popping up in the media and general publis re: Hogg and Hodge. Everyone was on board when it first happened - feel good story.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i agree with a lot of the sentiment on here, yes the Ashes will always be important but that doesnt make this tournament any less important..irrespective of the format, these teams are still representing their countries on the world stage..

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Other than a few posters on here, lot of hindsight kings popping up in the media and general publis re: Hogg and Hodge. Everyone was on board when it first happened - feel good story.
The Hogg one was stupid, needs quicker wickets to be effective.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Perhaps but most arguments against that on CW were "Hogg is a dickhead" as opposed to why he isn't a good selection.

brockley

International Captain
We don't play another t2o until India ny,unless a change in Pakistan,itinnery,not likely to be a decision to next season,a george Bailey contract suggests he will keep it.

uvelocity

International Coach
the most (un)amusing part for me is how the media reports on it, once we go like busted arses there is no coverage. how can you expect the average dickhead to care