• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tim Nielsen

pup11

International Coach
This is not a knee-jerk reaction to the series loss to South Africa, but this is something i was thinking about discussing for sometime now, is Nielsen the right man as the coach of the Australian cricket team?

From what i have seen the answer is a big no, we all clearly no that Ponting is no tactical guru, but it would be a great help for him to have someone as the coach of the side who is good thinker of the game, and Nielsen if anything comes across as an even dumber tactician then Ponting, some of the statements and ploys that he made in India and before the South African series were absolutely silly and something you don't expect from a smart enough person, who has the responsibility to coach a cricket side.

I am not having a go at Nielsen for Australia' record under his coaching term, as i know the team is going through a transition phase and maintaining the same kind of record as the Aussies had in the past isn't easy, but its his dimwittedness that really is annoying, and on top of all that CA has extended his contract till 2011.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He's not really inspired me too much at all, it's like he doesn't have too high hopes for us.

I don't know the behind the scenes obviously though.

pup11

International Coach
He's not really inspired me too much at all, it's like he doesn't have too high hopes for us.

I don't know the behind the scenes obviously though.
What has really pissed me about him was the way in which he came out during the Mohali test and said that they had decided to chase down a 500+ target, and then he justified the over-rates saga, when he could have easily stayed quite, and before the South African series he again came out and talked a lot of bull****, imo he wants to be in the limelight whereas his job should be to remain behind the scenes and help out his captain in every way possible.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
the guy's an idiot, think there's a few of them at the top of australian cricket at the moment

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
I don't think changing the coach would solve Australia's problems here. What do you expect a coach to do, when you have a mediocre bowling line-up. He can't come out and play. All he can do is to utilize properly whatever resources that are available to him. Still i don't think the coach has too many calls in Cricket compared to probably Soccer. Maybe captain would have a better say in terms of tactics used in the field and stuffs. John Buchanan might have been a better coach in terms of numbers, because he had a great team. Nielsen does not have that luxury. I do agree the comments he made before the series against SA could have been avoided. Still, pretty much doubt people would have questioned him for that if Australia had won. Also in the case of slow over rate incident, how could you expect a coach to speak against his captain and team openly. So there is no point in criticizing him for supporting his captain.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I don't think changing the coach would solve Australia's problems here. What do you expect a coach to do, when you have a mediocre bowling line-up. He can't come out and play. All he can do is to utilize properly whatever resources that are available to him. Still i don't think the coach has too many calls in Cricket compared to probably Soccer. Maybe captain would have a better say in terms of tactics used in the field and stuffs. John Buchanan might have been a better coach in terms of numbers, because he had a great team. Nielsen does not have that luxury. I do agree the comments he made before the series against SA could have been avoided. Still, pretty much doubt people would have questioned him for that if Australia had won. Also in the case of slow over rate incident, how could you expect a coach to speak against his captain and team openly. So there is no point in criticizing him for supporting his captain.
coach the team perhaps ? what else is he there to do ? i think too many coaches recently have become 'laptop coaches' thank buch for that

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
A team generally ends up playing in the image of its coach, or its coach/captain axis if that is a strong one. I know that my teams, when they're successful, whatever the sport, end up playing in a distinct style.

If that is the case then Nielsen needs to start asking questions about his model and ideal objectives for the side - how does he want them to play and how does the long term plan with the bowling attack fit together - and if this isn't the case then he needs to ask himself why the team is not yet his.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A team generally ends up playing in the image of its coach, or its coach/captain axis if that is a strong one. I know that my teams, when they're successful, whatever the sport, end up playing in a distinct style.

If that is the case then Nielsen needs to start asking questions about his model and ideal objectives for the side - how does he want them to play and how does the long term plan with the bowling attack fit together - and if this isn't the case then he needs to ask himself why the team is not yet his.
Much better reply than the thread so far has deserved, tbh.

I do agree to a large extent, "weaker" coaches (one might also equally include Moores or McClaren in this) tend not to stamp their authority or philosphy on their teams, so one ends up wondering exactly what they do stand for. For better or worse we knew exactly what a Flecther team would look like. Moores and Nielsen; not so much.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think Moores and Nielsen know what they think their teams should look like - you are right on the money Brumby, IMO

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Much better reply than the thread so far has deserved, tbh.

I do agree to a large extent, "weaker" coaches (one might also equally include Moores or McClaren in this) tend not to stamp their authority or philosphy on their teams, so one ends up wondering exactly what they do stand for. For better or worse we knew exactly what a Flecther team would look like. Moores and Nielsen; not so much.
McClaren's sides reflect his personality exactly- mediocre football teams that are always neither here nor there, never failing to underwhelm. Moores too has forged an England side that do the minimum you'd expect and nothing more, often lacking that little bit extra in key moments to take the step up to the next level. It works for bad coaches too :happy:

Nielsen, it seems, isn't especially decisive, and in its own way that's come out in the way this Australia team play.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
of course with a team of support staff, including the 'highly rated' troy cooley, questions might need to be asked

inbox24

International Debutant
This was Tim Nielsen runout in 1998 in a List A game.

This will be Tim Nielsen runout of the coaching job in two years if improvements are not made.

howardj

International Coach
A coach should be his team's devil's advocate; its voice of reason; the team's conscience.

For mine, Nielson is a bit of a yes man, and instinctively defends anything the team does.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
A coach should be his team's devil's advocate; its voice of reason; the team's conscience.

For mine, Nielson is a bit of a yes man, and instinctively defends anything the team does.
I think it might have to do with the fact that Ponting was captain before Nielson was coach. Its always tough for the newcomer to claim equal rights when there's an established top dog.

pup11

International Coach
Are the number on controversies and disciplinary issues among players that have taken place under Nielsen coaching tenure just a coincidence or indicative of the his man-management skills.