• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Three nations plan an answer to the IPL

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/375138.html

Very interesting. Is it going to be at the same time as the IPL to try to knock it off?
From what i hear it will run along side the IPL rather than against it. With the EPL also looking to take off, thats alot of time of the year filled with little space for Tests. 3 T20 leagues, not counting the ICL. :@ :@ :@ :@ :@

I'd be lying if i said a big part of me wasnt hoping this Twenty20 thing completely crashed after a few years of overexposure. Even if it meant a few cricket boards going to the wall and having to be reformed in the process.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
From what i hear it will run along side the IPL rather than against it. With the EPL also looking to take off, thats alot of time of the year filled with little space for Tests :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
But remember its all being done for the good of the game :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm beginning to think we'd do best to have a year of PLs then 3 years of international cricket. 8-)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Same thing right? If its going to run at the same time as the IPL....
First paragraph:

"Although the competition is still in the planning stages, the idea is to have city-based teams and schedule it at a time that would allow Indian stars to take part. "

Worrying signs.

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Seems like a cricketing version of the Super 14.

If done correctly, it could be very good for all nations.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bloody hell, haven't seen you for many years.

Could get confusing with you and B****ch posting around the boards at the same time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If so, it'd be a stupidly short-sighted exercise.

But then again, when's that ever stopped cricket authorities. 8-)

pup11

International Coach
As far as this prospective tournament is concerned as Hoggy said if done correctly this could go down pretty well and would also give good exposure to players from Aus, Nz, and Rsa, but i don't see why any of us should be surprised, IPL showed the that franchise cricket could bring in unheard amount of money for both players and cricket boards, so it was only a matter of time before other cricket boards also jumped onto this T20 bandwagon.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I suspect that if all these buggers got their own PL's going then they might find a solution to the who plays for whom and where cononfrum.

Precambrian

Banned
Now what? Abolish ODIs altogether and utilise the time for domestic T20? It's clearly going the footy way and in the recent future, don't be surprised if you hear Sydney Dynamos refuse to release Kevin Peitersen to England for participation in the World Cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:blink:

You want to see international cricket become like international football - one game every couple of months in between domestic commitments?

Not to mention all international cricket being Twenty20 because that's all anyone is playing domestically?

Precambrian

Banned
:blink:

You want to see international cricket become like international football - one game every couple of months in between domestic commitments?

Not to mention all international cricket being Twenty20 because that's all anyone is playing domestically?
I don't think any sane lover of cricket would want it this way. However, that said, if such a move is for the good of the game, to make it appealing and global, then, ..:shrugs:

Only wish the T20 kills ODIs altogether and occupy their spot, leaving Test cricket intact.