• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Three nations plan an answer to the IPL

brockley

International Captain
This happens in september october doesn't really effect our season,does go against the footy finals,but gather it will be on foxtel.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
My solution to the IPL and the problems it poses has two parts:

1. Litigate. It's too late, and positions are too entrenched, for an amicable solution without litigation. So the various parties will sue each other, and the BCCI's worst excesses will (hopefully) be curbed. In other words, "Cairns the Bailey".

2. Wait. Wait until the penny drops that T20 is a really poor game. The crowds will start to dwindle, the gloss will come off the "product" and then the investors/backers will bugger off. And the whole thing will deflate like a balloon 3 days after the birthday party.
Second option the more likely one. Whoever bought the rights for a whole ten years better hold his decision makers accountable when the time comes.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Because the IPL was created for the enjoyment of the Irish market? :unsure:
Certainly. While most producers won't admit it, the Irish are in fact the main target of everything ever made, and the brand's success judged solely on how many Irish people like it. Rarely is any other demographic group taken into consideration, why would they do such a thing? Acceptance amongst the Irish is the goal of all the earth's children.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds great but October maybe a little bit too early for New Zealand though, isn't the weather not too hot then? And the South African rugby season is still going on as well.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Certainly. While most producers won't admit it, the Irish are in fact the main target of everything ever made, and the brand's success judged solely on how many Irish people like it. Rarely is any other demographic group taken into consideration, why would they do such a thing? Acceptance amongst the Irish is the goal of all the earth's children.
Hey watch out, you guys are blowing away all the positive cred you'd built up after knocking Pakistan out last year. :p

Precambrian

Banned
:laugh:

brockley

International Captain
So far its firming on franchises in sydney and melbourne.Would suggest a 3rd aussie franchise side and a kiwi framchise.
Seems APL is on the backblocks will remain kfc 20/20 but with overseas players.
Would love to see an african franchiese that combines zimbabwe,kenya ,namibia and uganda.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Second option the more likely one. Whoever bought the rights for a whole ten years better hold his decision makers accountable when the time comes.
Unfortunately, that's doubtful. The people who bought the IPL rights were already bragging that the first season paid for their feed for 3-4 years, and the great deal they got.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately, that's doubtful. The people who bought the IPL rights were already bragging that the first season paid for their feed for 3-4 years, and the great deal they got.
My suspicion is that they will continue to feel pretty good about things while the bubble continues to inflate. When it bursts, their bragging will cease.

I'm not Indian and have no hot-line to the Indian psyche. For instance I'm mystified that the Indian grounds aren't absolutely packed for a Test series against the Crims. However I just can't see a game as T20 retaining its current level of popularity for long. It will retain some audience because of its convenience (a high-tempo match in 3.5 hours will always be a product with inherent attractions) but I think the gloss will rub off pretty quickly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My suspicion is that they will continue to feel pretty good about things while the bubble continues to inflate. When it bursts, their bragging will cease.
But if they get their money's worth in three years, its irrelevent if it bursts, they still made out big time.
However I just can't see a game as T20 retaining its current level of popularity for long. It will retain some audience because of its convenience (a high-tempo match in 3.5 hours will always be a product with inherent attractions) but I think the gloss will rub off pretty quickly.
Why? ODIs are much more boring if you ask many people (myself included, and I would guess, for a lot of Indians too), and they are usually packed even for meaningless 7 game ODI series.

If they'll come to the stadium for a 7 game ODI borefest, they'll definitely go to the stadium for a tournament style competition.

I don't know if IPL will continue to be successful. But Twenty20 is not going away in India. It's going to become the centerpiece of cricket.

Redbacks

International Captain
Interesting view on the potential in Australia

T20 in Australia

Agree that as with the Super 14, teams in SA will make the viewers unhappy due to time zone issues, thus reducing tribal following.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Good points but I tend to disagree with the overall tone.

International Test Cricket is supposed to be the toughest form of cricket. It involves ultimate test of skill, temperament, and stamina. So, representing one's own national teams mean the ultimate scenario, because, unlike in the case of club-based competition, here there are no second chances. If you perform a bit badly in a top club, you may get transferred to a weaker one, and still play at the same level. But in Test cricket, you perform badly and you're dropped, then you've to toil hard in the First class level to come back again.

So, it's the ultimate challenge for a sportsperson, and involves playing in difficult conditions, including places where crowd support is next to zero. And that is when you become completely "rounded" as a cricketer. Like in life, in test cricket also you have to expect the worst and experience the best.

I am not against Club cricket. It is just that, entertainment. And do not mind it as long as it does not affect test cricket. It may eat up the ODIs. Test cricket, as Kevin Peitersen said, "Is what seperates men from the boys".

And again, take the example of football. Even though EPL attracts humoungous attention, it never can emulate a World Cup in terms of passion, viewership and following. It offers a chance to re-identify ourselves with our nation-states, and be proud of it.
Agreed.. I just don't see how you could feel any sort of affiliation towards whatever faceless IPL franchise happens to exist.. Unless you happen to live there I guess..

Precambrian

Banned
Agreed.. I just don't see how you could feel any sort of affiliation towards whatever faceless IPL franchise happens to exist.. Unless you happen to live there I guess..
Yeah, however IPL has caught up quite a following among the youngsters (age 10-18). And that is a huge huge market in India, as kids have a big say in the consumer market. I rooted for one franchise of vanity, and surprised myself with a complete lack of empathy when the team failed to make the last 4. It is just like that, fun while it lasts, no hangover afterwards.

Maybe it will take out the extra-passion for cricket in India. I mean, people engage in brawls and there have been instances of violence following a cricket match. Surely these things can dilute such stupid stuff.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
You can pick a team and you can stay with it.

I had absolutely no connection with Newcastle (in Oz) or their football team (Knights - NRL) but that didn't stop me from choosing them to follow when I was about 6, and have done so ever since. Incidentally, liking the Newcastle Knights was mainly the connection I had to becoming a supporter of Newcastle Utd in the EPL, simply because they shared the same name (I was 8 when I decided on following the Magpies, such simpler times...).
I follow Canterbury in the Super 14 because when I was 8 I went on holiday and stayed in Christchurch and really liked the city, Melbourne Victory in the A-League for similar reasons.

Just like it's possible to create a new league with new teams, it's possible to create a tie or bond of some sort with one of the new teams. And it can be based on multiple things too, from either simply living in or near that city, or because it's in the state you support, or because it has your favourite players or because you simply like the way they play the game, or even their uniform or mascot.

Tradition has to start somewhere, as does the willingness to support a team.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can pick a team and you can stay with it.

I had absolutely no connection with Newcastle (in Oz) or their football team (Knights - NRL) but that didn't stop me from choosing them to follow when I was about 6, and have done so ever since. Incidentally, liking the Newcastle Knights was mainly the connection I had to becoming a supporter of Newcastle Utd in the EPL, simply because they shared the same name (I was 8 when I decided on following the Magpies, such simpler times...).
I follow Canterbury in the Super 14 because when I was 8 I went on holiday and stayed in Christchurch and really liked the city, Melbourne Victory in the A-League for similar reasons.

Just like it's possible to create a new league with new teams, it's possible to create a tie or bond of some sort with one of the new teams. And it can be based on multiple things too, from either simply living in or near that city, or because it's in the state you support, or because it has your favourite players or because you simply like the way they play the game, or even their uniform or mascot.

Tradition has to start somewhere, as does the willingness to support a team.
Very well put.