• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

This Era Is Awesome

Flem274*

123/5
teams are now winning away from home, almost everyone has an excellent attack, almost everyone has some world class batsmen, we've got several atg batsmen and bowlers and almost every team has a couple of guys fighting for their place too. plus this is the era of neil wagner celebrations.

i did notice some sensitive australians and indians trying to project their batting woes onto everyone else in the tour thread, but i venture to suggest the australian silly ban depleted batting order is only stronger than the windies and their like. it'll look much better once smith and warner are back smashing everyone and khawaja, paine etc can fall into the support role. india wise, even nohit can make a random 50 in straya what more do you want you self absorbed cretins?

as long as i've been watching cricket people have been crying how it's secretly not a good era because everyone is bad, good players only look good because of bad players.

stop crying and enjoy it before you're left with nothing but nostalgia*

*unless you're an australian cricketer, indian cricketer, *****, overratedsanity, bijed or mushfiqur rahim. then i hope your days are wasted reading and posting bile in the news and politics subforum like mine are

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You’re just saying this is an “era” because nz are having a rare competitive 24 months.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think that Tests have been exciting recently, because every team has some serious flaws and are at least partially competitive. No atg team running around thrashing everybody.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought this was a Daemon thread, opened it, and was sadly disappointed.

the big bambino

International Captain
Seasons 2017/18 thru to 2018/19 have had 24 completed test series of which the away team has won 6 and Zimbabwe, BD and Ireland have hosted 3 of those. You can give India the current series to make it 7 out of 25 thanks to the minnow status of Aus' batting. Team's attacks are generally better suited to their home conditions and batting atm is poor. So awesome era? Nup.

Hicheal Michael

U19 Captain
There are still too many 2 match series that should be 3 match series, and 3 match series that should be 2 match series.

Not really a fan of 5 match series either, should be 4 max imo.

cnerd123

likes this
I said this in the India Vs Australia tour thread, but I reckon we're in a golden era for bowling

It's not so bad for batting either. We've got a few ATG potential batsmen going around in Kohli, Root, Williamson, Smith and Pujara, and a ton of talented inconsistent players like Rahane, Bavuma, Mendis, Chandimal, Hope, Butler, Bairstow, etc.so there is plenty of good batting going around. We also have stalwarts from an earlier generation still kicking around (Faf, Amla, Matthews) and plenty of gritty loveable characters like Elgar, Braithwaite and Nicholls. We're also in an era where Bangladesh have the world's best all-rounder and are actually competitive, and Ireland and Afghanistan are playing test matches.

On to of that - pitches are spicier, the schedule is super packed, we have DRS to correct umpiring blunders, Australia suck...it's truly a great time to be a fan.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Lest we forget knighting cricketers has back into vogue during this era. All hail Sir Alistair!

Daemon

I really think the batting these days just doesn't match up to the past. Feel like it's fairly obvious. Tons of players don't know how to rotate strike, build innings, deal with lateral movement or play spin. Cliched to say this but the increased LO commitments that the current players have grown up with, are likely the root cause. LO batting is on a different plane right now in comparison.

The quick bowling though - not only does it look really good now, but the future seems pretty bright as well, with the exception of England.

Less said about finger spin the better.

Bijed

International Regular
Regardless of whether the quality of batting and bowling has gone up or down recently, on the whole I'm enjoying all forms of cricket, whether involving England or matches I'm following as a neutral, appreciably more on the whole than I was ten years ago or so. May well be to do with how my own personal tastes have changed in that time, but I'm finding that there are a far smaller proportion of matches which either fail to, or just barely hold my interest.

trundler

I really think the batting these days just doesn't match up to the past. Feel like it's fairly obvious. Tons of players don't know how to rotate strike, build innings, deal with lateral movement or play spin. Cliched to say this but the increased LO commitments that the current players have grown up with, are likely the root cause. LO batting is on a different plane right now in comparison.

The quick bowling though - not only does it look really good now, but the future seems pretty bright as well, with the exception of England.

Less said about finger spin the better.
Yep this. How many genuine minefields (SL exempted) did we see this year? Most decks had some life in them but their bowling friendliness was exaggerated by simply bad batting? Just look at the Aus v Pak series or England Vs India for that matter. I'm all for lollapses because they're pretty entertaining but batting as a whole hasn't been great.

SillyCowCorner1

Yep this. How many genuine minefields (SL exempted) did we see this year? Most decks had some life in them but their bowling friendliness was exaggerated by simply bad batting? Just look at the Aus v Pak series or England Vs India for that matter. I'm all for lollapses because they're pretty entertaining but batting as a whole hasn't been great.
How many 43 all outs did we saw?

Thought we needed some more.