• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Third Place Playoff: Belgium v England

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doesn't even exist in cricket, and nobody cares about the Rugby WC 3rd/4th play-off (unless it's some underdog team who made the semis for the 1st time ever), but isn't 3rd place quite a big deal/achievement in the football WC? Or would English & Belgium supporters not give a ****?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't even exist in cricket, and nobody cares about the Rugby WC 3rd/4th play-off (unless it's some underdog team who made the semis for the 1st time ever), but isn't 3rd place quite a big deal/achievement in the football WC? Or would English & Belgium supporters not give a ****?

It's pretty pointless. I'm sure the players would much rather be catching the first plane home after the semis.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Couldn't give a **** about it. I honestly couldn't tell you who we played and if we won or not in 1990.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah it'll be an exhibition match. Probably will see the squad rotated a bit, and a good chance for Kane to try and secure the golden boot.

I'm not enthusiastic about watching at all, but have nothing else to do on Sat afternoon at the moment, so will probably stick it on.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
If there’s no decent tennis on I’ll watch. Otherwise no. Wonder why it’s done at all tbh.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it'll be an exhibition match. Probably will see the squad rotated a bit, and a good chance for Kane to try and secure the golden boot.

I'm not enthusiastic about watching at all, but have nothing else to do on Sat afternoon at the moment, so will probably stick it on.
Will be interested to see if Kane plays at all tbh, has looked he's carrying an Injury since the end of the Colombia match imo.

Uppercut

These games are usually pretty good. Right after getting knocked out everyone is like ‘**** having to play another game’. But by the time it rolls around the atmosphere is more of a bittersweet close to a memorable tournament and a chance to play with the pressure off. It doesn’t mean anything, but it’s a little bit underrated imo.

Indipper

State Regular
It's played so you can show you give a toss about playing for your country. Folks at home appreciate it. Unless they expect to win the Cup every time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It is absolutely meaningless.

It usually results in a decent game of football because the shackles come off and the players are a bit liberated by the game being meaningless, but nobody cares who wins or loses this game. When people look back on this World Cup they'll remember that England were beaten semi finalists, not that they finished 3rd or 4th.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is absolutely meaningless.

It usually results in a decent game of football because the shackles come off and the players are a bit liberated by the game being meaningless, but nobody cares who wins or loses this game. When people look back on this World Cup they'll remember that England were beaten semi finalists, not that they finished 3rd or 4th.
I actually had to look up on wikipedia whether or not we won or lost it in 1990 (we lost), and Italia '90 was basically my first sporting memory. Everybody just remembers England going out on pens to the Germans. It is as if the 3rd place match didn't even take place.

Burgey

Tbf it’s englands biggest game since the same event in 1990. You should be embracing it.