• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Things I miss about cricket in the 80s/90s

shortpitched713

International Captain
The fact that the standard of county cricket in England has fallen to an all time low as the England players and top international players don't play county cricket any longer.
This is a trend of FC cricket in general right, not just English county cricket I think? As there really isn't any money in domestic FC competitions in comparison to T20.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
This is a trend of FC cricket in general right, not just English county cricket I think? As there really isn't any money in domestic FC competitions in comparison to T20.
In England it's due to central contracts which was obviously much needed at the time.

Long gone are the days when you could see Bob Willis bowling to Viv Richards when Warks played Somerset

shortpitched713

International Captain
I mean, you see something similar, but in the T20 leagues. It's like they're the filter leagues with the highest level of competition, and the players that do well there, get to play Test cricket which no one but some of us purists care about. We're really at that part of the lifecycle of the game where we need to be subsidized, like classical music or something.

Anyway, at least we're not at the state of "modern high art", as we at least have some intrinsic value to the activity of playing Test cricket.

Edit: And before you get me saying it's not the same everywhere, yeah I know it's at a different stage of the cycle in different parts of the world. It's the overall trend I'm looking at.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The old triangular ODI series to finish off the summer after the test matches was ****ing gold for a solid cricket fan.
Actually, going back to the 80s, the ODI triangular series was often run in between the tests, so you had sides playing a test then a couple of days later they'd play an ODI at the same venue. Worked a treat. Long before the days where there were basically separate test & LO sides.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Actually, going back to the 80s, the ODI triangular series was often run in between the tests, so you had sides playing a test then a couple of days later they'd play an ODI at the same venue. Worked a treat. Long before the days where there were basically separate test & LO sides.
It was like that even in 91/92. I remember India playing a couple of ODIs one week and a test next week or something silly like that. The sides looked so different over the course of these long ass series too, lol.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The John Player Special League played at county grounds you don't often get to see.
I remember watching a JPL game on the box in the mid 1970's at Darley Dale - Derbyshire v Hampshire.

Its the only 1st class match ever held at the ground - its a typical club cricket ground. I can still remember Greenidge and Barry Richards smacking the ball over the boundary into the next field and scattering the sheep and Derbyshire fielders climbing over the fence to retrieve the ball ?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Not worried about anything, other than how dire some of the pizza options are, and how many people are voting for them. Ham and pineapple??! And do I even want to know what a "Dirty Rotten" is?
Is it not a rotting pizza fetched out of the rubbish tip? ??‍♂??‍♂??‍♂

shortpitched713

International Captain
Nothing.

Am jelly I missed out on peak Viv, Tendulkar, Warne, Ws, etc though.
1) Never let em tell you that the current group of players aren't every bit as good.
2) The internet, and online footage is your friend. Robelinda is a good start, as is DM MORDECAI.