• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The XI greatest rearguards

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Mister Wright said:
I wish I had seen some of them!! The one between Ul-Haq and Ahmed I heard about in the news......too bad for Warney that Healy did not get it. The Astle-Morrison one sounded as though it was entertaining, would have liked to have seen that one. Giles Sri Lanka, didn't he do that in 2 Tests......?

Swervy

International Captain
the Thomo/Border one was a great one...utterly nerve wracking....Tavare actually dropped the ball which went over is shoulder and Dusty Miller ran round and caught it...if he hadnt have done the ball would probably gone for 4 and Australia would have won.

twctopcat

International Regular
Re: Re: The XI greatest rearguards

SquidAU said:
I wish I had seen some of them!! The one between Ul-Haq and Ahmed I heard about in the news......too bad for Warney that Healy did not get it. The Astle-Morrison one sounded as though it was entertaining, would have liked to have seen that one. Giles Sri Lanka, didn't he do that in 2 Tests......?
Just the one test for giles, though the same thing happened in the 2nd test but it was as much vaughan who helped us survive, ended up leaving it to batty and read though.
The Hanif Mohammad is the stuff of folklore though, brilliant.

Bazza

International 12th Man
No they should stop charging people for it.

What about the Inzamam one against Bangladesh recently?

Was surprised to see Giles in there - didn't think it was that much of an achievement.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bazza said:
No they should stop charging people for it.

What about the Inzamam one against Bangladesh recently?

Was surprised to see Giles in there - didn't think it was that much of an achievement.

England did very well to save the SL tests, but I cant help feeling that they could have picked a better rearguard from all the tests in history.... I guess it was just them being a bit fickle and reactionary.... My opinion of Wisden is slowly starting to decrease too :(

Craig

World Traveller
They say if Hanif Mohammad ever gave a chance, you better take it otherwise you be punished over and over and over...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Danny Morrison saved himself from being nominated as being the worst tail-ender of all time by batting out that miracle innings with Nathan Astle against the English in 1996 at Eden Park.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I never saw that and I struggle to this day to believe it really happened.
How can someone who's been primarily so bad have one day of being so unbelievably good?
That's surely the greatest last-wicket rearguard ever. But the single-innings ones of Hanif Mohammed and Atherton beat it in terms of this overall grouping IMO.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Er... what?
Please explain? You confused me.

I said that Morrison ever played Test cricket again after the Test where he batted with Astle.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Craig said:
Please explain? You confused me.

I said that Morrison ever played Test cricket again after the Test where he batted with Astle.
That's what you meant to say.

What you actually said was "Morrison never played Test cricket".