• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Worst Wicketkeepers

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well this bloke had passed away a couple of years earlier (arguably NZ's best ever keeper): Ken Wadsworth | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

this bloke hadn't started this first-class career Ian Smith | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

and this one was controversially not selected Warren Lees | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

For Lees, Cricinfo says: "He was very unfortunate to be left out of the tour of England in 1978, arguably being a better wicketkeeper and batsman than Jock Edwards, his replacement, who was described by one journalists as the worst wicketkeeper he had ever seen!"
Cheers. Lees was the bloke who I thought would have played around that time. Was a good keeper. Remember him fondly from the early 80s.

smash84

The Tiger King
Akmal, and it's not even close.

That Sydney test in 2010 still makes my blood boil. Can't recall another instance of a wicket keeper losing the team a match single handedly as khatmal did in that one.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Apart from the Steve Waugh drop, Browne also infamous missed a sitter (from Tendulkar) that was pivotal in India beating the Windies in a 1996 WC Group match, and he had some howlers during the SCG 96/97 Test as well. When you factor in his dire batting record, how he got 20 Tests is a complete mystery.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good point, although I think Browne was selected ahead of the vastly superior Ridley Jacobs at times.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From what I saw of him in the nets at the Nursery End at Lord's David Williams was a very good pace bowler

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Richard Blakey was one of the more curious selections by England for a couple Tests. He still gets kudos to this day for not conceding a bye in a total of 560 odd for 6, but my recollection of that is the might of Salisbury and Tufnell getting zero turn and never beating the bat and going at 4 an over.