• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Wisden Cricketer

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Well at least I won't get bored!!! :D
I should hope not!

Be interesting to see how they report the early World Cups and also other major games (Headingley 81, Tied Test etc.)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I should hope not!

Be interesting to see how they report the early World Cups and also other major games (Headingley 81, Tied Test etc.)
If I find anything interisting I'll put it up here...

Maybe I'll get a column about my search through the archives? ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Mr. Ponting said:
I like the Australian cricket mag, The Inside Edge

Anyone else read this?
Yes i got hold of a few copies when I was in Aus, its good i think, but not as good as TWC... And i totally agree with the bit about the blokes and sheilas lol...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Maybe I'll get a column about my search through the archives? ;)
Nice idea IMO - since it's an ear only Eddie would remember (;)) I'm sure that a lot of people would like to see how it was reported back then?

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Mr. Ponting said:
I like the Australian cricket mag, The Inside Edge

Anyone else read this?
Yeah, it's a great mag, even though they have changed it recently. It used to be a monthly publication, but then they have transformed it from quite a serious publication to a blokey publication, and now only seem to publish them a few times a year, such as a preview and review of the Australian season, and special editions like the World Cup and 100 Greatest Australian cricketers.

Actually, I'm wondering what has happened to it, because they would have surely published a review of World Cup and Windies tour.

If they have, I can't find it anywhere...

:(

Craig

World Traveller
Rik, you should tell your mum to go get as much as she can. Did great writers like EW Swanton or John Arlott (I know he was a great commentator) ever write for The Cricketer?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I've already found a few gems:

Review of Brian Lara's Test Debut

Review of the Test in which Darren Gough wacked the Aussies around for his 1st Test 50

John Allot (or someone similer) on Courtney Walsh

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Review of the Test in which Darren Gough wacked the Aussies around for his 1st Test 50
Small point, but it was his 2nd fifty.

Either way I think this is a great idea for a column etc., and am clearly not alone.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Small point, but it was his 2nd fifty.

Either way I think this is a great idea for a column etc., and am clearly not alone.
I was sure it was his 1st...

Oh well, Eddie should remember "Big Dev" smashing Warne around for 29...

Would I get hit with copyright for the column?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes if you submit a significant portion of the articles in unmodified form. Maybe you should contact them somehow first.

Or you could talk about what you'd read rather than quoting directly what you'd read.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Another cricket 'magazine' i get is one named Cricket Weekly, which is an Australian only publication. Actually it is made in newspaper format. Cricket Weekly has very good coverage of the cricketing world, but it is really only for diehard fans such as myself. Cricket Weekly covers each little thing that happens in the cricket week, and also accounts a large amount of match reports, including international, domestic, and even the Aussi 'A' grade games. Cricket Weekly holds a competition each time the paper is released. It is very simple, send in a good cricketing question to the editor and if you have the best one you get a prize. i won this prize. The prize was a book written by the editor, Ken Peisse. (Bradmans of The Bush) Kens a nice guy, and luckily for me when i won the Cricket Weekly team were very slow to get back to me so i got two books.:D a happy day.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I thought copyright would be a problem. Then I thought we could just contact them and ask permission, but seeing as Wisden and Cricinfo are now the same, they are unlikely to grant one of their biggest competitors the right to use their material. It might even give them an idea to use on their site, which means we lose out. (They do already have all todays yesterdays, etc).

Difficult. Maybe as Corey suggests you could put a spin on what is there?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe I could just do a report with important quotes and summing up the rest?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:
Good think on the back pages about Ashley Mallett on Ashely Giles and Flat Spin
For crying out loud, give it a rest!

You are the proverbial broken record.