• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The West Indies cricket discussion thread

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
gibbsnsmith said:
The batting is good but not without flaws, gayle, hinds, lara, chanderpaul are their main batsmen so like australia, south africa, india they have a strong top rder but they havent got real depth.
Um..Sarwan?!? Samuels is also a very good batsman when he's mentally 'there'. We have a few very good-looking young bats coming through.

Craig

World Traveller
Alright maybe I didnt mean King, I believe there were some allagations of rape among some women against WI players.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The rape allegation was against Dave Mohammed and that was cleared I think.

Rose was charged with physical assault in a bar in Canada. It's actually kind of funny because he claims that he didn't do anything more than shove her and it was only because she was saying he's a crap cricketer. :)

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
IMO, In Jermaine Lawson, the West Indies have indeed found a potentially great talent, I cannot comment on either Edwards or Taylor. WI need the experienced guys like Dillon, Drakes, and Collymore in the side to guide these young guns, and to give them confidence which is a very important thing with young fast bowlers and Lara seems to be doing it right mostly because it comes naturally to him. I know i feel relaxed and work my best when an experienced player comes and has a short chat in the game. Sometimes a mere nod of apprehension helps tremendously. Both Samuels and Sarwan once said that when they are batting with Lara they feel relaxed and confident, its the same with bowlers.

Liam, I totally agree with your views on Marlon samuels, he does indeed need to solve the problem of losing concentration.

Sarwan, does indeed look increadible for the future.

As for the spinners I think Ramnarine in form is World Class, Dave Mohammed IMO looks promising, however I've not been very impressed by Gareth Breese. I think Ryan Hinds deserves another chance.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Ryan Hinds wasn't very well handled. In Tests in particular, they seemed reluctant to bowl him. He is very talented though.

Gareth Breese has some technical issues to sort out, mostly in playing spin bowling. He has hard hands and as such, he prods at the ball too often. His bowling is decent though but, like most West Indian spinners, looks like it would be much more effective in ODI cricket. He certainly doesn't seem a genuine wicket-taker at the highest level.

Craig

World Traveller
I like the look of Ryan Hurley. Very accurate in his List A games and is probbaly the best fielder in the Caribbean (I mean in Fist Class and List A cricket)I think Sarwan is probably a future captai of the West Indies. Now he needs to continue in turning 50s into 100s.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I'm sure Sarwan is the future captain of the West Indies. He looks like the type of player who will do well in the role too.

Hurley is very energetic and he seems inject adrenaline into a game. This is a very good value to possess in ODI cricket. He also turns the ball a bit.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Aaaaaannnnnnnddddddd there's Ricardo Powell.......
okay, but he can improve!

Craig

World Traveller
I'm surprised he has played one Test. He didnt do all that badly. Where would you bat Powell in ODIs? Opening or the middle order or as a floater who can move up depending on the situtation?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
I'm surprised he has played one Test. He didnt do all that badly. Where would you bat Powell in ODIs? Opening or the middle order or as a floater who can move up depending on the situtation?
When you see his 1st class average and take into account the way he plays (a shot a ball most of the time) you can see why he has only the 1 Test to his name. I would bat him in the ODI side as a floater, like we used to use Freddie. Powell is a good striker of the ball and if he can do the job Freddie does for us just with the bat then the WIndies won't have to worry about finishing off games.

I can remember a young academy WK called Wayne Phillips who came over to England in 2000 with the touring party. How's he doings? He didn't seem to be able to get a game with the Windwards because of Junior Murray.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Where would you bat Powell in ODIs? Opening or the middle order or as a floater who can move up depending on the situtation?
He's definitely a floater. South Africa once had the rule that if it's the last 10 overs, Klusener is sent in, no matter what the situation. I think it should be similar with Powell.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
I can remember a young academy WK called Wayne Phillips who came over to England in 2000 with the touring party. How's he doings? He didn't seem to be able to get a game with the Windwards because of Junior Murray.
On the 2000 tour, Wayne Phillip was already in England playing some form of club cricket. He's a good 'keeper from all accounts, but only a useful batsman. He played in the 2001 Busta Cup for West Indies 'B' (I think).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Reon King

This year, Reon King has been playing in the North East Premier League in England with South Northumberland CC.

In 17 OD matches, King has taken 54 wickets so far- 3 short of his club's record and 7 short of the league record. His wickets have come at an average of 13.76 with the BB of 6/60.

These are certainly good signs that King may have sorted out his action. I just hope that he can convert that form into Red Stripe Bowl form and FC form.

thierry henry

International Coach
Whatever happened to Reon King? When WI toured NZ in 1999-2000, he was easily the most impressive bowler (much more impressive than Dillon, for example). I thought he would be a fixture for years to come.

Also, was Powell's solitary test against NZ on that tour? I'm sure I remember him batting in one of the tests.

Craig

World Traveller
Carl Hooper

Yes Powell has only played one Test. I hope they dont pick Carl Hooper again. Despite the fact he is averaging 69 for Lancashire with 4 hundreds and 897 runs.

I have no respect for him (not that I have anything against Guyanese), but his attitude and his unloyalness has really angered me. When he got sacked as captain (I was never a fan of his captaincy) he then goes and throws a temper tantrum and rules himself unavailable. And there was the time he would rather live in Adelaide then play for WI.

If he gets picked, I will believe that the creditablilty of Sir Viv Richards, Gordon Greendige and Joey Carew as selectors will have gone.

Fine cricketers, but their selections are just bizare.

Mr Mxyzptlk

thierry henry said:
1/ Whatever happened to Reon King? When WI toured NZ in 1999-2000, he was easily the most impressive bowler (much more impressive than Dillon, for example). I thought he would be a fixture for years to come.

2/ Also, was Powell's solitary test against NZ on that tour? I'm sure I remember him batting in one of the tests.
1/ I've explained this too many time to count but I shall do so again for your benefit. Reon King was injured on the tour of England in 2000 and was consequently out of cricket for a year. When he returned, he struggled greatly to get into any sort of rhythm. On closer examination, his action seemed to have been slighly modifie, perhaps tp prevent against reinjury. King has been slowly nursing himself back into top form but, until he is definitely at that level again, he should be picked for WI IMO.

2/ Yes. He score a duck and a run-a-ball 30.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Re: Carl Hooper

Craig said:
When he got sacked as captain (I was never a fan of his captaincy) he then goes and throws a temper tantrum and rules himself unavailable. And there was the time he would rather live in Adelaide then play for WI.
Hooper backed out of the Australia series in order that some youngsters be given an opportunity to gain some experience. I firmly agree with that reasoning and am certain that it was not a 'temper tantrum'. Re: living in Adelaide; Hooper had retired "officially" from international cricket, so it wasn't like he was just living in Adelaide, he was actually retired. I was of the impression that retired sportsmen get to live in whatever country that will accept them...

thierry henry

International Coach
2/ Yes. He score a duck and a run-a-ball 30.
I remember it well. WI had a terrible collapse and were 10/4 or something like that, and he came in and hit his first 24 runs all from boundaries, or some such.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I believe so. I remember that that series had a few very questionable umpiring decisions, most of which were against the West Indies- a Cairns run-out given not out, a Campbell LBW, a Lara dismissal (caught behind?)...