• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Waughs!!!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
....just like I coudn't understand why Dean Jones was dropped in the early nineties.
Yes indeed, dropping Jones was a tragedy and a mistake in my opinion. The big difference, however is that Jones was much younger than these guys are now and he's just come back from a Test tour where he'd averaged around 75!! The Waughs are older and have had indifferent times with the bat of late.

So yeah, a shame about the Waughs but hopefully they'll do well this year in the Test arena.

As a side note, I personally predicted that Mark Waugh was to have one of his best years ever before the start of last season, especially after him and Brad Haddin destroyed Tassie in an ING Cup match with hundreds each at break-neck speeds. Just shows the gulf between domestic and international level...........in fact, Steve also scored a one-day hundred in the domestic comp before the international season started. Amazing.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
oh man, Dean Jones...that guy was good ! His footwork had no parallels and that's why he could play spin like no other.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
oh man, Dean Jones...that guy was good ! His footwork had no parallels and that's why he could play spin like no other.
I saw him bat in a charity match a few months ago and I swear, he could still play international cricket. I don't think I'm being sentimental either. He REALLY can still play.

Unfortunately 'The Jones Boy' had a mouth which the conservatives in the Aussie cricket heirarchy didn't appreciate very much so he lost out in the end. Geez, if they were serious about just getting rid of him, why not do it in a lull in his career?

And I still say his 100 against the World XI a few years ago in Melbourne was the biggest 'stick it up ya' to the selectors I'd seen. He scored a hundred AGAINST the Aussie attack of the time. Another smack in the mouth. :D

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Jones was definatley pushed out of the game years earlier than he should've...

If he played years longer Australia would've dominated World cricket alot earlier than they did....

Kimbo

International Debutant
i would NEVER trade green for canary yellow!

ever!

Don't you mean you'd never trade "vomit" green for "World Cup" gold??
south african green iisnt vomit. vomit would be more mucussy, army like... they have forest green... gee, get it right, anyway, canary yellow was me being polite, i like to call it egg yolk.
sorry for straying from the topic guys

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
south african green iisnt vomit. vomit would be more mucussy, army like... they have forest green... gee, get it right, anyway, canary yellow was me being polite, i like to call it egg yolk.
sorry for straying from the topic guys

Yeah, sorry about that - I probably did get the type of green wrong...

And I suppose the Aussies did have an "egg yolk" uniform... but at least ours weren't the colour of egg yolk after being vomited.... :D

Yeah, anyway... back to Steve Waugh....

Do you guys think that perhaps team captains should be delt with differently by the selectors??

Mark Taylor was an example - where we went 28 (or there abouts) innings in a row without scoring a fifty at one stage - I'll bet if he wasn't captain at the time he would've been long gone.

So back to Steve Waugh, do you think that his role as captain of the team influenced the selectors at all?? Another way of asking the question is: if Waugh wasn't captain, do you think he'd have suffered the same fate????

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
why is it so ahrd for all to digest the fact that theyre gone?
i mean past records are not the best indicators to current form or even ability..I mean....look at azhar...there was no doubt about his past histrionics...but come the time around the world cup, he faltered miserabely.